[Finished] [MP2-608] Schedule Recordings by Channel/Time (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To be really specific...
    1. Open MP.
    2. Go to the TV section (ie. TV home).
    3. Select the "scheduled" button.
    4. In the pop out menu on the left, select "new".
    5. Again in the left menu, select "advanced record".
    From here you should be able to follow your nose.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another way to achieve what you want...

If I select a show from the EPG, then in Programme Info I select Advanced Record -> Record Every Day At This Time, I can then see in Upcoming Episodes that one show recorded every day, with the start and end time from the EPG. I just can't see any way to change or extend that end time, so to get my hour of programming...
    You can extend the time by setting the post record time higher. Post record time is the interval of time for which TV Server continues to record beyond the nominal end time of the show. For example, if a show ends at 8:30 AM but you set a post record time of 30 minutes, TV Server will continue to record until 9 AM.

Post record is the last choice when creating an advanced recording:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../1_Scheduling_Recordings#Pre-_and_post-record

The default for non-advanced schedules is set in TV Server Configuration:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...guration/07_Recording#Pre-_and_post_recording

...so to get my hour of programming, I'd need a schedule for each of the several shows that make up that hour, and I'd have to playlist the recordings or something to watch them sequentially.
    That's unnecessarily complex. Either create a manual recording as described previously, or create an advanced recording for the first show with a post record time that covers the following programs that you want to record. The result in both cases will be one recording containing the content that you wanted. There's no need for multiple schedules and playlists. :)

Note: AFAIK MP2 currently doesn't support either of the options I've described.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Okay, I am dumb :confused::unsure::oops:.

I hope these features do make it into MP2 eventually though.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    To be really specific...
    1. Open MP.
    2. Go to the TV section (ie. TV home).
    3. Select the "scheduled" button.
    4. In the pop out menu on the left, select "new".
    5. Again in the left menu, select "advanced record".
    From here you should be able to follow your nose.

Actually it turns out the first method doesn't solve the problem; although I can set up an advanced recording as described to record my hour of programming, MediaPortal is too clever for its own good; it breaks that hour up into individual programmes according to the EPG data. At least that's what is showing in Scheduled recordings. I guess that way would work if there wasn't any EPG data for the channel (actually no, I just tried to set an advanced recording on a channel with no EPG data; you can go through the process, but nothing shows up in the schedule).

Hopefully the second method using post-record will do the trick though.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Actually it turns out the first method doesn't solve the problem; although I can set up an advanced recording as described to record my hour of programming, MediaPortal is too clever for its own good; it breaks that hour up into individual programmes according to the EPG data. At least that's what is showing in Scheduled recordings. I guess that way would work if there wasn't any EPG data for the channel (actually no, I just tried to set an advanced recording on a channel with no EPG data; you can go through the process, but nothing shows up in the schedule).
    I can only suggest you actually try it rather than speculating that it doesn't or might not work based on what you're seeing. I've used this feature before (...and I'm not alone...), so I know it works.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Okay I did try it, I set up a couple of schedules to record first time while I was at work today, and (unless I'm doing something wrong still) it does not work the way you say. Here's what I found;

* If I do Advanced Record -> Record Once, it does indeed work as you say; when I schedule my hour of programming, I see in the the schedule "Manual (<channel name>)", the recording duration in the info is as selected, and this is indeed what gets recorded. I'm wondering if this is why you think this method should work. However

* If I do Advanced Record -> Record Every Day at this Time, it is different. When I schedule my hour of programming this way, as I mentioned before, what shows in the schedule is the individual programs from the EPG, and that's indeed what gets recorded, I got four separate shows recorded. You tell me why Record Once behaves differently that Record Every Day, but it does.Edit: wait, more tests. Edit: Ok, I think I managed to confuse myself as to which recordings came from which schedule I had set, it does seem to work as you said, sorry :confused:.

* I mentioned that I tried to set up an advanced record on a channel with no EPG data, but nothing appeared in the schedule. Well, to my horror, I have found that that recording was accepted and is working, I've got the recordings to prove it, but in the schedule it is totally invisible :eek: so I now have a scheduled recording that I can't delete, because it doesn't show up. I'm thinking I should make this one a bug report, because that definitely shouldn't be possible. So now off to see if I can figure out how to delete this thing. Edit: I was able to delete it from the TV Server configuration app.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx Is that something we can addto MP2? I personally never record anything, but if I would, I'd like to decide the time manually.
    [...]
    But I saw also a lot of other nice features in the MP1 wiki. The option to start the recording earlier by a defined offset seems also good to me ;)
    @morpheus_xx , any comments? The pre- and post record times are vital for not having your recordfings being cut when broadcasters are not respecting their own schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom