MP2 - V2.1 [MP2-645] 14:9 zoom mode is not correctly scaling (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
August 25, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
m8eflk.png

I think that in this very case an image is better than 1000 words and logs.

14/9 is a great MP1 feature while watching mismatched source/display aspect ratio, perhaps that feature is missing on WMC, and not that immediate to use in Kodi, so a good selling point for MP.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This looks as if the display is simply zooming too much.

@morpheus_xx , I tend to agree with the OP that our 14:9 display is a little bit overdoing things. Can these parameters be externally set or does it require a code adjustment?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just writing it down here for reference.

The zooming in MP2 is done by:
    Changes to 14:9 could be done on C# side (good), if the shaders have to be touched I can't help too much (I avoid to touch them...)

The current image is increased by 12.5%. The related code of MP1 is here. It also uses the 12.5% factor, but the later handling of the video frame is completely different.

At the moment I don't see a quick change here, as it could affect more components like the VideoBrush etc.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Just writing it down here for reference.

The zooming in MP2 is done by:
    Changes to 14:9 could be done on C# side (good), if the shaders have to be touched I can't help too much (I avoid to touch them...)

The current image is increased by 12.5%. The related code of MP1 is here. It also uses the 12.5% factor, but the later handling of the video frame is completely different.

At the moment I don't see a quick change here, as it could affect more components like the VideoBrush etc.

The 12.5% value is correct

1.77777 -12.5% = 1.554 = 14/9

But it isn't what actually happens. The actual "14/9 zoom" enlarges the image more than the plain "zoom" setting, which is 25% while watching a 16/9 program on a 4/3 display.

In short the actual result is wrong by more than 200%, not exactly my definition of "a bit overdoing" function :)

P.S. Aside the specific bug, I think that would be very nice to have the zoom factors manageable from the user settings (if not from the UI, at least editing an xml) given aside the good old 4/3 and 16/10 displays, the PC world seem (finally) abandoning the hideous 16/9 aspect ratio as the sole standard.

There are many convertibles which have the 15/9 or 3/2 AR, we have the 21/9 ultrawide displays, and so on, where a custom zoom setting may be very useful.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @The Solutor I think I fixed the issue. Looks like it was an error of "Math.Max" vs. "Math.Min" ;)

Please check the attached patch. It is based on 2.1 Final release and needs to be placed under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins\SkinEngine" (take a backup of existing file before!)

Zoom Normal:
    00_Zoom_Normal.jpg

Zoom 14:9:
    01_Zoom_14_9.jpg

I also checked 4:3 inputs, zoom factor looks o.k. there as well.

Attachments

• 20170508_SkinEngine_[Fix_14_9].7z
      298.7 KB

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @morpheus_xx

Sorry for the late reply but I missed your last message here.

Whatever... I can confirm that the bug is fixed.

Thanks a lot!:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom