[fixed] [MP2-819] MP2 Server crashes on ATSC OTA channel scan (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One other thing: the HDHomerun device is commonly used in the US and many people use it without issues. So I wonder why your setup crashes reproducibly at channel 24. In the thread that you cited the crash occurred at channel 55.

The TV part was not changed and I am also not aware of any updated timing parameters for the Homerun.

I wished that other US users commented on their personal experience. Maybe there are other HDHomerun files that work better.

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Here's the atsc tuning parameters folder.

Attachments

• atsc.zip
      5.2 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks.

Open the file QAM Standard.xml with an editor and locate this part:

<!-- "super band", channel 23..36 -->
    <ATSCTuning>
    <frequency>217250</frequency>
    </ATSCTuning>
    <ATSCTuning>
    <frequency>223250</frequency>
    </ATSCTuning>

Change the 223250 into 217250. This way channel 24 is identical to channel 23. Then try another scan.

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Home Country
    I'm afraid it didn't work. It still crashed on channel 24. I even tried changing the QAM tuning frequencies option to "QAM Standard", which I could only do if I switch the tuning mode to "Clear QAM", then back to "ATSC Digital Terrestrial".

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe it’s not the right file. If I were you I would remove all files from the folder and launch a scan - this should give you an error. Then move one file back to the folder until the scan launches. This will then give us right file to look at in more depth.

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Home Country
    I removed all the files from the atsc TuningParameters directory and verified that no scan can be done when that directory is empty.

I then added back each file, modified channel 24 to have the same frequency value as the previous channel in the file, and ran the scan with only one tuning parameter file in the atsc directory present at a time.

For each of the 5 files, the scan failed again upon reaching channel 24. Hence, I don't think any of these files are actually used. Something just needs to be present in that directory for the scan to run, but the actual frequencies must be hard-coded when an ATSC Digital Terrestrial scan is done.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Something just needs to be present in that directory for the scan to run, but the actual frequencies must be hard-coded when an ATSC Digital Terrestrial scan is done.
    That supports my driver hypothesis.

Sorry but I am at my wit's end.

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Home Country
    Ok, thanks for your help. I plan to install MP2 on another computer. So I'll see if I get different results there.

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Home Country
    Ok, I installed MP2 on a different computer. This computer runs Win7 with an Intel i7-6700K CPU and 48GB RAM. It also has some internal TV Tuner cards and a couple of USB TV Tuners.

As expected, the scans of the HDHomeRun OTA tuners failed as before when scanning channel 24. However, the AverMedia 716x internal OTA tuner and the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950 USB OTA tuner both also failed while scanning channel 24. Hence, I don't really believe it's a driver issue since now HDHomeRun and 2 different attached TV tuners also fail while scanning channel 24.

There must be something different about the broadcast signal on channel 24 that is causing the MP2 scan to fail. I collected the diagnostic trace for this computer with the last failed scan performed on the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950 USB OTA tuner. Hopefully, it might provide more clues as to what is going wrong during the channel scan.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-12-30-10.50.36.zip
      490.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom