[fixed] [MP2-833] 2.2.2 server crash during import (1 Viewer)

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Is the thumbnail creation an asynchronous process?
    You could say that, yes.
    I conclude that you rather not believe in a memory leak
    From the memory graph shown it looks like memory usage is pretty stable except for the spikes occurring at times. Memory leaks should look like increasing memory usage that never decreases again. I could add throttling to avoid too many thumbnails being generated at once which might be the cause of the spikes.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Memory leaks should look like increasing memory usage that never decreases again.
    OK. The theoretical memory usage limit for the 32bit process would be 4 GB, in practice maybe 3.5 GB because of administratve overhead. Or is it even just 2 GB? What is the code supposed to do if the memory requirements grow above such limits, e.g. instead of importing 8000 movies you would look at 20000 with respectively more pictures to load/create, "thumbnail" them and store? If you're correct then throttling would help, yet it would be subjct to the CPU speed, i.e. crash more likely on a fast PC rather than a slow one.

JSchuricht

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2009
    Arizona
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    A more powerful CPU may increase the chance of this issue happening but I have seen the importer crash on lower powered systems. I was pointing out the memory spike since there is a 2GB limit on most 32 bit processes. I do agree with a memory leak being linear on the graph vs spikes. I have chased down a few leaks on manufacturing tools, the memory isn't released and the application just keeps grabbing more till something fails. What I am seeing with MP2 looks like a sudden demand for memory usage and maybe it is hitting a limit and causing a crash. The issue could still be other things.

I grabbed a few more graphs to show more than just the memory spike.

ScreenShot556.jpg

ScreenShot555.jpg

ScreenShot554.jpg

ScreenShot553.jpg

ScreenShot552.jpg

ScreenShot551.jpg

ScreenShot550.jpg

ScreenShot549.jpg

ScreenShot548.jpg

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes those spikes could mean that there is a corrupt file, which causes on "decoding" an huge memory allocation once.
    I have read about manipulated zip files before that create an unlimited size file on decompression, so called zip bomb. It also allocates all memory until something crashes

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you're correct then throttling would help, yet it would be subjct to the CPU speed, i.e. crash more likely on a fast PC rather than a slow one.
    By throttling I mean how many thumbnails can be extracted at the same time. I will also try to test if we could move the thumbnail extraction to the fanart handling instead. This should increase the import speed and decrease database size/load.

JSchuricht

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2009
    Arizona
    Home Country
    I started the stress test with WIP 168. Should OCVVideoThumbnailer be present in the installation? The import is going fast but with OCVVideoThumbnailer not in the plugin directory it leaves me wondering if it should be there.

JSchuricht

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2009
    Arizona
    Home Country
    I have a "OpenCvLib" folder in my setup.

Didn't realize that was the same thing/replacement.

Anyways, first 34% was really quick but it has slowed down. Up to 41% now with memory <300MB. Should have results in a day but it is looking promising so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom