MP2 and picture-in-picture and remote control (new tuner card) (1 Viewer)

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    In MP2 there is no need to select any remote type or make. All HID devices are supported out of the box. But, the windows drivers must be installed correctly. If windows detects the remote and its buttons MP2 will do either. I've also a IRSS remote from Hauppauge. I just plugged the IR connector in installed the drivers from the CD, started MP2 and it was working.
    Ok, thanks, But not working for me, except for volume and mute. I have an active "IR" icon in my system tray, and the remote is fully functional with Hauppauge's WinTV 10. The only thing I can thing of is that the driver is not saved in the right place, but I don't know what that right place would be.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, thanks, But not working for me, except for volume and mute. I have an active "IR" icon in my system tray, and the remote is fully functional with Hauppauge's WinTV 10. The only thing I can thing of is that the driver is not saved in the right place, but I don't know what that right place would be.

Just to be clear have you tried running the "Input Devices" set up, see screeenshot below? If you select "Functional Shortcuts" you should be able to map any key to any function. If you have not done this then typically volume and mute are the only working keys.

ir.jpg

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just to be clear have you tried running the "Input Devices" set up, see screeenshot below? If you select "Functional Shortcuts" you should be able to map any key to any function. If you have not done this then typically volume and mute are the only working keys.
    In addition: For my IR remote all buttons were also working out of the box, but when only some buttons work the remote itself is recognized, so as described everything could be mapped with "function shortcuts" for HID devices. I think the settings are quite easy compared to MP1. You just follow the instructions:
    1. press key of the device to be configured (remote, keyboard, ...)
    2. press the key you want to map
    3. select the function/command to be mapped

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In addition: For my IR remote all buttons were also working out of the box, but when only some buttons work the remote itself is recognized, so as described everything could be mapped with "function shortcuts" for HID devices. I think the settings are quite easy compared to MP1. You just follow the instructions:
    1. press key of the device to be configured (remote, keyboard, ...)
    2. press the key you want to map
    3. select the function/command to be mapped
    Shouldn't 2 & 3 be the other way round?
    i.e. from memory (I just uninstalled MP2 on my test PC to check out something on MP 1.29)
    2. click on the function to be mapped (e.g. Escape)
    3. Press the key you want to map it to. (e.g. Back), wait for the 5 sec. countdown to complete the new mapping.

As indicated it is much simpler than MP1 and any device including KB and remotes that use KB shortcuts will work, it does not need to be an HID device, as long as the button presses actually reach Windows/MP2. My worry is that the remote may be specific to Hauppauge and the button presses are handled, intercepted and not passed on by the driver/software but it would be good to know from the OP if the Input Devices setup has been tried and what the results were?????

Last edited:

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country

View attachment 209291

All I can say is that I'm completely in the dark here. Yes I have tried. Just to confirm: After I follow the prompt "Press a key/button on the input device you would like to configure" nothing further appears onscreen to guide me, correct? Because I press a button on my remote, following that prompt, and nothing further happens onscreen.

Also: Suppose I want to program the remote to change stations, one up or one down. There doesn't appear to be a keyboard shortcut for that in MP2 like there was in MP1 (see Keyboard Shortcuts - TV). The only way I can change channels in MP2 is by mouse clicking on the up and down arrows on-screen (F7 and F8, the MP1 shortcuts, do nothing). But I can't map a mouse click to my remote, can I?

The remote control isn't crucial for me, and I'm not gonna spend much for time on it, but this is disappointing. Apparently, the Hauppauge remote works "out of the box" for some. If that's true for anyone that can let me know which remote they have, might be helpful. Mine is oblong, not the little square one often pictured. I've written Hauppauge to ask them if mine is an HID device, but haven't heard back.

N.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All I can say is that I'm completely in the dark here. Yes I have tried. Just to confirm: After I follow the prompt "Press a key/button on the input device you would like to configure" nothing further appears onscreen to guide me, correct? Because I press a button on my remote, following that prompt, and nothing further happens onscreen.
    Just press a keyboard key instead your remote for testing purprose and you would see the next screen. I just confirmed it with several HID devices (2 remotes, keyboard) and they are recognized correctly. Probably the drivers installed are Hauppauge specific and not "native windows drivers", but these are just guesses. Log files would help, after you reproduced the problem.

Also: Suppose I want to program the remote to change stations, one up or one down. There doesn't appear to be a keyboard shortcut for that in MP2 like there was in MP1
    Of course there are shortcuts for that. See the overview in Wiki. All keys within the column "keys" in Wiki can be mapped, this covers also Channel up/down. The default mappings are also shown in Wiki.

But I can't map a mouse click to my remote, can I?
    No, keys/buttons can be only mapped to virtual interfaces of MP2 (function, action, screen), you can not map devices to devices.

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    My worry is that the remote may be specific to Hauppauge and the button presses are handled, intercepted and not passed on by the driver/software but it would be good to know from the OP if the Input Devices setup has been tried and what the results were?????
    If you would: What is "the OP"?
    Just press a keyboard key instead your remote for testing purprose and you would see the next screen.
    Yes, I see. Thanks. For whatever it's worth: What's confusing in these and following prompts, is that it's not clear which input device is being referred to, keyboard or remote control.

At any rate, I have not been able to map a channel up/down function. These are up/down arrows on the remote control. I have tried starting with, from the list of function choices, "Key/Button 'ChannelUP'" and "Key/Button 'Up'", and mapping to keyboard key "Page Up," but nothing happens. It's very unclear, however, whether I'm doing this correctly, and I don't find any step-by-step instructions beyond what's been kindly offered above.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After I follow the prompt "Press a key/button on the input device you would like to configure" nothing further appears onscreen to guide me, correct? Because I press a button on my remote, following that prompt, and nothing further happens onscreen.
    That suggests MP2 is not receiving anything from the remote, that and the fact that the remote sensor plugs into the tuner card rather than the usb may mean it is simply not compatible with anything except the Hauppauge application. I have a draw full of remotes that were included with various tuners I purchased over the years I was never able to get any to work outside of the tuner manufactures app.
    I use this remote which may still be available new and cheap on E-bay, it is plug and play for Win 10 and can be fully mapped using the Input Devices set up on MP2 and can also be made to be completely functional on MP1. It also features a very useful mouse capability.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's very unclear, however, whether I'm doing this correctly, and I don't find any step-by-step instructions beyond what's been kindly offered above.
    There is also a guide how to use the Input Manager in Wiki. Screenshots are with another skin, but content-wise this doesn't matter.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I use this remote which may still be available new and cheap on E-bay, it is plug and play for Win 10 and can be fully mapped using the Input Devices set up on MP2 and can also be made to be completely functional on MP1. It also features a very useful mouse capability.
    I use the Hauppauge remote from the MP2 WIKI picture. The sensor is even plugged into the tuner with a 3.5mm jack plug.
    I installed the windows drivers from the Hauppauge CD and it worked without any mapping with all MP2 versions in compination with windows 7 and 10 so far.
    @Nordfinn Can you upload a image of your remote or tell the text written on the back? So we might help finding out, if it is supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom