[solved] MP2 and Remote mappings (1 Viewer)

ArdaVonWoolf

Portal Member
January 25, 2019
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
WMC user with an Ortek VRC-1100 remote (actually a Harmony for everyday use), moving on to Win10 and MP2.

All the forum info about this not-quite-a-Microsoft-MCE remote points to MP1 threads, and before I go down the road and looking hard at the IRSS section, I was wondering if there was an option to just remap the missing buttons. The Rewind/reverse, FastFwd and skip buttons are not functioning and if I could get those to work I might be about 90% happy.

I'd still like to get Start MP2 to work and set up a 30 second skip forward button, but that's secondary.

I just don't want to re-invent the wheel if all I want is readily available in Settings/Input Management--once I figure out how to work it;.

Or, if I really do need to go to IRSS and develop a whole IR remote input for the Ortek, just let me know that too.

Thanks
-AvW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    WMC user with an Ortek VRC-1100 remote (actually a Harmony for everyday use), moving on to Win10 and MP2.
    There is a support pack for the Ortek VRC-1100 for use with MP1, available here:

Vista MCE Remote Control VRC-1100

Most of the support pack won't work with MP2, but it does contain an AutoHotKey script that (among other things) implements the remote control's START button to start MP from the Windows Desktop. You would need to modify the script to specify the path and EXE name of MP2 in place of those for MP1. You may be able to solve some of your other problems with the remote by using appropriate coding in the AutoHotKey script, but I have never installed or used MP2 and cannot offer any specific advice.

Note: the support pack requires the ASCII version of AutoHotKey (you will be asked whether you want the ASCII or UNICODE version when you install AutoHotKey).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The Rewind/reverse, FastFwd and skip buttons are not functioning
    In what situation?
    Looking at my notes, I see that the Ortek's FAST_FORWARD and FAST_BACKWARD buttons send CTRL_SHIFT_F and CTRL_SHIFT_B respectively. Does MP2 respond to these keyboard shortcuts?

Unfortunately my notes are contradictory with regard to SKIP_FORWARD and SKIP_BACKWARD. In one place they say that these buttons send CTRL_F and CTRL_B respectively, but in another place they say MEDIA_NEXT and MEDIA_PREV.

If this page in the Wiki is correct:

InputDevices

MP2 should respond to the media buttons on a keyboard. So if the Ortek is sending the CTRL_xxx codes for all four buttons, that might explain why they appear to have no effect.

ArdaVonWoolf

Portal Member
    January 25, 2019
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks all, this helps a lot, I should be able to do everything with autokey and mapping the remote keys to keyboard shortcuts. I'll just need to get more used to the UI to see what needs to be done.

Moving forth and back is done with the arrow keys. Skip levels can be defined in such way that the first right-press jumps 30 seconds.
    Where are the skip levels defined?

Thanks!
    -AvW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I should be able to do everything with autokey and mapping the remote keys to keyboard shortcuts.
    When I was creating the Ortek support pack for MP1, I initially investigated the possibility of doing all of the support in the AutoHotKey script. This turned out not to be possible, because the Ortek has buttons for which there are no keyboard shortcuts in MP1. For example, the Ortek has a GUIDE button, but there is no keyboard shortcut for GUIDE in MP1.

If MP2 has a complete set of keyboard shortcuts, you may be able to develop a complete solution using AutoHotKey. But be aware that the MP2 keyboard shortcuts are not necessarily the same as the MP1 keyboard shortcuts (MP2 is a completely new product).

I have attached a zip file containing the AutoHotKey script that I wrote initially. It should give you an idea of what is needed, although I don't think that this script is usable as it stands. Also, this script does not include the advanced handling of the START and INFO buttons that is included in the script for the MP1 support pack. Nevertheless, this script is hopefully a useful starting point.

Attachments

• Ortek_for_MP.zip
      1.1 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    WMC user with an Ortek VRC-1100 remote
    The next version MP 2.2.1 will come with a new Input Manager that consumes HID events. This means that if your remote doesn't immediately run out of the box, you will nevertheless be able to map every key on your input device, be it remote, keyboard or gamepad, to any MP2 function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom