MP2 Configuration / How to Questions (1 Viewer)

Peter Ross

March 28, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
I am a newbie to Media Portal. Have installed MP2 on my HTPC using the Client and Server configuration (Windows v10 64 bit). Have got everything working including the TV configuration but have a few minor configuration issues which I would be grateful for some help with. So here I go...

1. Home screen icons / skins - How can I reorder the home screen icons so that the apps I use most frequently are at the top of the list, for example TV, Movies, Audio become the first 3 icons in the first row that you see when opening MP2.

2. Duplicate movies displaying - I have configured my video media sources to point to a local drive on my computer. It took a while for the indexing to complete and they now show up in the movies app. However there are some movies in my collection which are now duplicated. As an example one of the movies in my collection shows up 3 different times. How can I manually edit the movies I don't want to display? The MP2Edit plugin doesn't really seem to help with this.

3. Random shuffle audio files - I used to use the WMC random shuffle feature quite often when playing audio files. Is there anyway to get MP2 to randomly play audio files from your configured media sources?

4. Creating audio playlists - I cant seem to select individual songs from albums and add the song to a new playlist. How do you create a custom playlist with all your favourite music?

5. Point in time playback for TV's and movies - When watching a movie or recorded TV I am used to having the ability to click on any point in time of the recording and play from there. With MP2 you can fast forward and rewind but you can't seem to click on the timebar in order to playback the TV from the selected time.

Thanks in advance for reading this post and replying if you have any answers to these 5 points above.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When watching a movie or recorded TV I am used to having the ability to click on any point in time of the recording and play from there. With MP2 you can fast forward and rewind but you can't seem to click on the timebar in order to playback the TV from the selected time.
    I am an MP1 user, but I think that MP2 is similar to MP1 in this area. You cannot click on the time bar to move the replay point forward or backward (that capability is not supported). What you can do is:

(1) Use the UP and DOWN buttons on the remote control (or those keys on the keyboard) to jump forward or backward by a fixed amount. In MP1 you can choose how much to jump in "MP Config". I have mine set to 60 seconds.

(2) Use the LEFT and RIGHT buttons/keys to cycle quickly through different skip amounts, and then allow the timeout to select the one that you want. I have mine set to: 20 sec, 1 min, 4 min, 15 min, 30 min, 60 min. In MP1 these skip steps can be specified by the user.

(3) Enter four numeric digits representing "hhmm" to jump immediately to that time from the start of the recording. E.g. entering "0105" would jump to 1 hour 5 mins from the start of the recording.

I have not yet used MP2, so I cannot help you with your other questions.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Peter Ross

March 28, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thank you CyberSimian. I will give this a go and post back to this thread. Much appreciated.[DOUBLEPOST=1459246960][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi CyberSimian, I can confirm that the UP and DOWN arrows and the LEFT and RIGHT arrows work perfectly in MP2. Thank you for your help. Do you by any chance have any answers to my other questions?

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can confirm that the UP and DOWN arrows and the LEFT and RIGHT arrows work perfectly in MP2. Thank you for your help. Do you by any chance have any answers to my other questions?
    Good -- one problem solved! :)

As mentioned previously, I have not used MP2, so I cannot suggest solutions for your other problems. Possibly an MP2 expert can chime in here? @morpheus_xx or @Lehmden?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Home screen icons / skins - How can I reorder the home screen icons
    There is no global solution for this. It is skin dependent. Some skins like Titanium or Reflection did not allow any ordering, grouping or sorting at all. Others like Blue Vision (and it's themes like Win10 or Titanium Extended) are using a menu structure that is defined in an xml file. This can be edited with Notepad or similar. And an In- GUI menu editor is a WIP. But as I prefer the direct XML edit method I'm not that familiar how far the development of the editor is gone. The XMl file can be found in the (hidden) folder "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Config\" and is named "MediaPortal.UiComponents.BlueVision.Settings.MenuSettings.xml"

Duplicate movies displaying
    This only happens when there are more than one video with (nearly) the same name exists. Then it is possible that those videos are identified multiple times as the same movie. If you prepare your media collection properly this never did happen. MP2 is supporting MKV metatags (similar as for audio) and the well known .nfo files for identification. Even a plain text file containing the IMDB or TMDB ID number can be used to identify the movie.

How can I manually edit the movies I don't want to display?
    Right now, there is no way to do this. You need to remove the wrong identified movies from the media source and do a reimport. In one of the next versions there will be an ASP.NET server with a web interface so you can use any browser to edit such things. But this is not ready today.

3. Random shuffle audio files
    Creating audio playlists
    As I normally don't use MP to play music (I prefer UPnP) I need to investigate further to answer this.

mrj

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2012
    Hi
    I cant seem to select individual songs from albums and add the song to a new playlist.

From the wiki
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/9_Reference/Keyboard_shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts

Default shortcuts for accessing Plugins (Alpha 1 Winter Release and newer)

Key Plugin / Action
    H, S:confused:tart Home screen
    A Audio
    W Weather
    V Videos
    M Movies
    S Series
    I Images
    F Fullscreen / Audio Visualization
    C Currently playing media info
    P Add to Playlist
    O Online Videos