MP2 DLNA status? (1 Viewer)

dibber

December 28, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So I'm wondering what the state of play is with MP2 and DLNA functionality?

When I started this post, I did see some posts mentioning DLNA, eg one titled MP2-824 DLNA Server but when I click the link suggestion the website gives me an oops message, and I've tried searching for this post but cant find it anywhere so apologies if this is asking again.

What I'm interested in, is if MP2 can import programs from standalone devices, like a UK freeview/freesat box. I know some manufacturers like Humax make it possible for their devices to share programs recorded on one box to another box, using DLNA, which is nice, but thats only good for the TV plugged into the box. As I'd like to be able to stream programs from MP to other devices like a phone or computer, this then works for when I'm out of the house like on holiday. Likewise, if MP can import programs from other DLNA (or even UPNP) sources, into its own DB, I'm thinking I wouldnt need to get a freeview & freesat PCI cards for my MP computer, which will also have my freeeswitch phone system and home security cams on it.

I used to use MP1 probably about 12 years ago now on freesat which was a nice setup back then and it worked ok (using RadioTimes to download the EPG to CSV etc), but things change, have been using TalkTalks freeview package for a while, but its got dire, losing emails and film purchases so have left them and looking to build a new HTPC and come back to MP.

Would it be better for me to create a virtual pc on Hyper-V or VMware workstation and install MP2 on there to play with it bearing in mind I havent bought any PC cards yet?

For my TV's I was going to hide a Rpi connected to the TV with HDMI. We dont have 4K tv's only 1080i/p for now so the pi might just about handle it. I've done some overclocking on the pi's with the CPU scheduling (windows equivalent Master Your Quantum and 0x15 and 0x26 make older machines useable again) and had built some really optimised "lite" pi versions, I also code so I plan to write some apps for android and iOS to make the smart phone's a TV remote for the pi or MP (depending on which would be easiest).

But in the main I'm just wondering how much DLNA functionality exists in MP2.

TIA.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    But in the main I'm just wondering how much DLNA functionality exists in MP2.
    There is a DLNA plugin in development for the MP2 server, but it is still in the testing phase. It can "only" make media available on mobile device and web pages and do transcoding if needed. But like I said it is still in testing and probably will be for some time yet.

dibber

December 28, 2020
    Home Country
    Hi Henso

Thanks for getting back.

When you say some time yet, is development working to an deadline, I'm just trying to figure out if this will be a days, weeks, months or longer timescale?

And do you know if there are any plans to add more features like consuming/importing from other DLNA servers like MediaTomb or Twonky?

Would it be possible to get on the beta for the plugin?

I'm looking on Github MediaPortal-2/MediaPortal/Source/Extensions at master · MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2 · GitHub to see if I can spot the plugin, do you know what its called or are the plugins elsewhere as I cant see anything mentioned here Developing Plugins (team-mediaportal.com)

TIA.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    When you say some time yet, is development working to an deadline, I'm just trying to figure out if this will be a days, weeks, months or longer timescale?
    No deadline. Probably a longer timescale as there are currently were few developers.
    And do you know if there are any plans to add more features like consuming/importing from other DLNA servers like MediaTomb or Twonky?
    No plans for that currently. Maybe the UPnP render plugin can be used for this? I don't know much about that plugin so you should probably search the forums for info if needed.
    Would it be possible to get on the beta for the plugin?
    I think you can only get access to it in the closed part of the forum open to testers, designers and developers.
    You could search the forums for more info but I think most of it is in the closed part.

dibber

December 28, 2020
    Home Country
    Hi Henso

" Maybe the UPnP render plugin can be used for this? "

I'm looking into the uPnP AV and DLNA stuff at the moment to see what functionality is the same or similar and what is different and whats required.

DLNA have handed over to SpireSpark according to their website DLNA

The DLNA test tools, now handled by spirespark, are certainly not cheap ! Test Tools Pricing — SpireSpark International

Certification isnt cheap either! Certification Pricing — SpireSpark International
    but these might be cheaper DLNA Independent Certification Vendors (ICVs) — SpireSpark International

Anyway I guess it will be a case of selecting the relevant functionality and building it into the MP2 plugin, this was why I was asking.
    DLNA Guidelines — SpireSpark International

At the moment I'm trying to hack some 1st gen devices (humax freesat, humax freeview, NowTv & Roku) I've been given and want to upcycle them and have them work like the DLNA standards are aiming for. Having used MP1 successfully in the past and seeing that DLNA will be supported in MP2 I'm keen to get these devices + a RaspberryPi working with MP2 and to get my phone system and webcams all integrated together, ie one GUI for every device (tv or smartphone) and all media available to everyone in the house.

Anyway I'd be keen to see what DLNA plugin code exists, I might be able to lend a hand depending on the language. :)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @dibber the complete WIP DLNA code is already included in the current projects. The DLNA plugin is just not set on build, so installer do not include them yet. You might e.g. pull the WIP2.3.2 branch, that will be released soon and build MP2-Client and Server yourself. I can help you with that. Building the client is very easy, for the server you need to know 2 additional things to make it work.

Of course you may also just take a look on the code.
    Problem is, that I can find the plugin only in the Visual Studio explorer, but not in the online branch.
    1609947358165.png

dibber

December 28, 2020
    Home Country
    I'll create a new virtual guest and install visual studio on it and see what I can pull down from there. It does seem odd that its showing in the solution pane but not in github.

dibber

December 28, 2020
    Home Country
    One of the folders I didnt look in. I'm just going through the code, where there are // Todo's listed, is there a priority list of what needs doing first?

Does anyone have the DLNA guidlines as I saw a reference to "DLNA Requirement [7.3.30-37] ", I might get a copy from them anyway, I've emailed them so just waiting for a response.

Is anyone using other sources to get the info for the unknowns like
    //TODO: Unknown how to implement this
    public class PlaySpeedParam : DlnaForthFieldParam

I see the PS3 media server source is online which might shed some light although its in Java, its shouldn't be too hard to convert to C#?
    github .com/ps3mediaserver/ps3mediaserver/commit/67af367c0f671aeb3e356a669253d56d6cd8f71a

Anyway just downloaded VS, just got to pull MP2 now...

Edit:

This site also has some DLNA code
    cgit. freedesktop. org/~bilboed/gst-plugins-dlnasrc/commit/?id=768c497ac3a1316ae52e332870ef9769b4ed6e67

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Some helpful hitns to rn MP2 from VS and debug things.

MP2-Client:
    1. Open ..\MediaPortal\Source\MP2-Client.sln and build it
    2. Afterwards you can start the client from within VS

MP2-Server:
    1. Open ..\MediaPortal\Source\MP2-Server.sln and build it
    2. In Solution explorer find MediaPortal.Server
    3. Right mouse click on it, "set as Startup-Project"
    4. Again right mouse click on it and select properties. Under debug enter the arguments "-c"
    5. Afterwards you can start the server as console from within VS
    1609960229327.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom