[solved] MP2 fails to install: "Insufficient privileges to start services" (1 Viewer)

PEDROVN46

August 4, 2019
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
GOOD MORNING,

Please help me to finish the installation. I get the following error.
"Service 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (MP2-Server) failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I already disabled the Windows Defender and Avast Antivirus to do the installation, and also run the ".exe" file as Administratos.

I added the the log file for a better understanding.

Thank you very much for your help. Looking forward your answer.

B. Regards,

Pedro Vieira Neto

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-08-03-22.42.03.zip
    1.2 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

If you downloaded the setup zip file under Windows, you need to allow access in the file properties before unzipping.

PEDROVN46

August 4, 2019
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Hello,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I couldn't install. I got the same error again. I gave the access in the file properties, maybe I did something wrong. Could you give me a 'step-by-step' instruction of this procedure?

Thank you very much,

Attachments

• Error.png
      Error.png
      9.4 KB
    • MediaPortal_2_20190804210959.log
      10.1 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Download the setup package
    • In the file properties check the "Allow access" box
    • Unzip the file
    Now insted of launching the exe, please use the Setup-Logging.bat file. This will create a very detailed log file of the setup process that allows us to identiofy what is not working for you. If setup fails again, post this log file.

PEDROVN46

August 4, 2019
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Good Morning,

I did all the steps mentioned and again the same error. See attached the Log File.

Please do not give up! we will suceed!

Thank you very much,

Attachments

• MP2-Setup_000_MainPackage.log
      22.7 MB
    • MP2-Setup.log
      13.3 KB
    • Doc1.pdf
      156.4 KB

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Did you ever have any version of Media Portal installed on the computer. In my case it seemed a earlier version of MP2 was installed and removed but remnants remained caused the error like you have reported. Make sure all media portal folders can completely cleaned out before resuming the installation.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Two things to verify:

• Your Windows needs to be fully updated.
      • Run Windows update and verify that there is no pending update.
      • It is not important to use the lates Windows version, i.e. 1903 but in any case Windows Update needs to run through without reporting errors.
    • Look at C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Database and delete any Datastore.s3db file(s). If there is one, give it another try.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    This is anecdotal, but I had the same issue when upgrading from MP2.1 to MP2.2. You can read the full saga in this thread. The solution is on the second to last and final pages. User @aspik was able to tell me which service was failing to start by examining the logs.

In my case I had a CAD package installed which used one of the same communications ports required by MP2, As the port was already taken, the MP2 service that needed the port could not launch.

As I said, very specific to my PC, but its something else to look into.

Mykl

Portal Member
    February 14, 2020
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I seem to be having the same issue, now. It all began when the server service stopped working...

[wavy lines, fade to the (not so) distant past]

I installed MP2.2.3 several weeks ago after updating from Win 7 to 10, Win 7 EOL so not more WMC. All has worked well until yesterday, relatively painless changeover. All existing media found & watchable, new recordings all ok.

It started when I could not find all episodes of a show in a particular folder. Checking the folder with File Explorer showed they were there, and they used to be visible as far as I know. Tried restarting the HTPC, no luck. Also, now NO media at all was visible in the MP2 client.
    Then while troubleshooting I found the server service was not running, & trying to restart it brought up an 'unable to start service' error message.

Tried running a repair installation, failed with:
    "Service 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (MP2-Server) failed to start.
    Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

Searching around I found some threads that mentioned that someone had it working with 2.1 but not 2.2, so I tried uninstalling & installing 2.1.3, same error. (The one Digsy linked.) Tried reinstalling 2.2.3, same again.
    Some threads mentioned another program service using the same port the server service uses. I couldn't find any so I tried a diagnostic start. No variation of them let the service start at install.
    Elsewhere there was a list of Windows repair options to try, DISM commands & the trusty SFC -scannow, but all they did was tell me Windows has no, (officially known), faults.
    It does seem that there were a couple of Windows Updates yesterday & I tried uninstalling them, the security update went, but Windows will not permit the other to be rolled back... (2020-02 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 based systems KB4532693), no change.
    I can install the client by itself, but this is the HTPC that has all the media, and the quad TV tuner card, so I need the server service on this one.

I went through the logs and it all seems to work properly until this point:
    [06E0:1AD0][2020-02-15T10:06:32]i301: Applying execute package: MainPackage, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{2ACAA36A-0E8B-416B-94D0-13E7CBD0C7AD}v2.2.1912.12158\MP2-Setup.msi, arguments: ' ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT="1" MSIFASTINSTALL="7"'
    [06E0:1AD0][2020-02-15T10:35:14]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.
    [06E0:1AD0][2020-02-15T10:35:14]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
    [1360:1894][2020-02-15T10:35:14]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.
    [1360:1894][2020-02-15T10:35:14]i319: Applied execute package: MainPackage, result: 0x80070643, restart: None
    [1360:1894][2020-02-15T10:35:14]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.

Also tried copying that msi to the desktop & running it from there, and as Administrator. No luck. Tried running the compatibility troubleshooter, but after it failed, it just said "Incompatible program".

So, any suggestions? I'm out of ideas.

edit: Also tried installing MP1. It installs, but the TV Server service won't start, either.

Attachments

• MediaPortal_2_20200215085318.log
      10.4 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom