MP2 HD homerun (1 Viewer)

AndreL

Portal Member
July 6, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have HDHomeRun Prime and downloaded MP2 mainly cause of the PIP feature but when i dl it an ran it I found that I needed TVSlim plugin to have it the tv feat. but when I dl'ed it, it gave me the TV feature but no TV channels. Not even a blank screen and there was no way to configure it.

But I liked the interface so much I'll get the MP1 untill some one helps me with MP2 and my kind of tuner.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The mp2 tve doesn't support cable cards in the current version :) one of the later version will be for sure! There is already a branch on git for this :)

Ron Fort Collins

Portal Member
    July 22, 2015
    Home Country
    I am using MP 1, but thought I would test out MP 2. I liked what I saw, but I have a Silicon Dust HD Homerun tuner, and the MP 2 TV server recognizes the tuners, But doesn't recognize any channels when you do a scan. I found this thread, and apparently MP 2 doesn't support them yet.

Any idea when support for them will be added to MP 2? I would like to switch over to the new version, but am dead in the water until support for my tuners is added.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Ron :)

...but thought I would test out MP 2. I liked what I saw...
    Great! :)

...but I have a Silicon Dust HD Homerun tuner, and the MP 2 TV server recognizes the tuners, But doesn't recognize any channels when you do a scan. I found this thread, and apparently MP 2 doesn't support them yet.
    TV support in MP2 is a little confusing because there are quite a few possibilities/options for how to achieve it:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/9_Reference/TV_support

Additionally, this thread refers to HDHomeRun PRIME (ie. CableCARD) tuners. That is only one specific model of HDHR. The answer is different for other models.

Let's try to clear things up! :)

Whether you're using MP1 or MP2, tuner support actually depends entirely on the TV engine you're using, not on MediaPortal (which is "just" the front end).

If you're using MP2 with the NativeTV 3.0 plugin (also known as TVE 3), you should have the same tuner support as with "MP1"... because MP1 generally uses the same TV engine. To be clear, that means all models of HDHomeRun should work fine.

Same deal with MP2 + MPExtended + MP1's TV Server. All models of HDHomeRun should work.

The tricky case is if you're using MP2 with the NativeTV 3.5 plugin (also known as TVE 3.5). In this case, CableCARD tuners in general are not yet supported in the versions that have been publicly released. That means the HDHomeRun PRIME won't work as indicated in this thread. Additionally, there are some issues with North American TV (ATSC, clear QAM/OpenCable) in general. That means that although the HDHomeRun models intended for the NA market (eg. HDHR4-2US) would be recognised, you're not going to get the best experience.

In short, if you're in the US or Canada, you want to use MP2, and you want decent TV support... for now you'd be best to go with the NativeTV 3.0 plugin or MPExtended option.

Is this clear? :)

Any idea when support for them will be added to MP 2? I would like to switch over to the new version, but am dead in the water until support for my tuners is added.
    As above, you are not dead in the water!

The question is: which plugin are you using for TV support?

If you're using NativeTV 3.5, you should switch to NativeTV 3.0 for now.
    If you're using NativeTV 3.0, you should check that your security software (firewalls in particular) allow MP2 Server to access your tuner... and if that doesn't help, post full log files to get support.

Regards,
    mm

Ron Fort Collins

Portal Member
    July 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi mm,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Very helpful!

Fortunately my Media Server is still running MP 1, and I'm using a second PC to play with MP 2, so I can experiment all I want without breaking my "real" Media Server.

So my mistake was, I wanted a clean installation, so on my test machine I uninstalled MP 1, and installed MP 2, so my TV server is now TVE 3.5, which doesn't work with my HDHR.

So, I should be able to reinstall the TV server from the MP 1 installation files (which is TVE 3), reconfigure it again for my HDHR, and use it as my TV Server for MP2. Right?

To do this, I also need to download and install the "SlimTV - MPExtended Plugin", right?

The only thing I can't figure out, I assume I want to leave the MP 2 server installed, so I have access to other things (like playing movies from my NAS, I assume that is handled through the server side and not the client side)? So how do I disable the TVE 3.5 service, so it doesn't compete with the TVE 3 server? Can that portion of the MP2 server be disabled, or do I even need to worry about it?

Thanks again,

Ron

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Ron

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Very helpful!
    No problem. That's what we're here for! :)

Fortunately my Media Server is still running MP 1, and I'm using a second PC to play with MP 2, so I can experiment all I want without breaking my "real" Media Server.
    Indeed, good idea. (y)

So my mistake was, I wanted a clean installation, so on my test machine I uninstalled MP 1, and installed MP 2, so my TV server is now TVE 3.5, which doesn't work with my HDHR.
    Just for the record: MP1 and MP2 can be installed on the same PC, so you didn't really need to uninstall MP1... but it isn't the end of the world. Also, TVE 3.5 is not the default TV engine in the latest MP2 "Summer '15" release, so I'm a little surprised you ended up with TVE 3.5. Nevertheless...

So, I should be able to reinstall the TV server from the MP 1 installation files (which is TVE 3), reconfigure it again for my HDHR, and use it as my TV Server for MP2. Right?
    Technically yes. However, MP2 actually distributes their own version of TVE 3 now which contains a few tweaks for improved MP2 compatibility. In other words, in most cases you'd be better off just installing the latest MP2 release rather than using the MP1 installation files.

To do this, I also need to download and install the "SlimTV - MPExtended Plugin", right?
    Well, that plugin is only for when you want to install the MP1 TV Server and have both MP1 and MP2 clients connecting to and using that single TV Server. If you're only connecting MP2 then the NativeTV 3.0 plugin for MP2 Server is sufficient.

The only thing I can't figure out, I assume I want to leave the MP 2 server installed, so I have access to other things (like playing movies from my NAS, I assume that is handled through the server side and not the client side)? So how do I disable the TVE 3.5 service, so it doesn't compete with the TVE 3 server? Can that portion of the MP2 server be disabled, or do I even need to worry about it?
    The NativeTV 3.0 and 3.5 engines are plugins for the MP2 Server. If you enable one then you must disable the other.
    So, assuming you're running the latest MP2 release, what you want to do is disable the NativeTV 3.5 plugin and enable the NativeTV 3.0 plugin. You should not have to uninstall/reinstall MP2 Server. :)

Regards,
    mm

Ron Fort Collins

Portal Member
    July 22, 2015
    Home Country
    So, assuming you're running the latest MP2 release, what you want to do is disable the NativeTV 3.5 plugin and enable the NativeTV 3.0 plugin. You should not have to uninstall/reinstall MP2 Server. :)

OK, makes sense.

Just one silly question: Where do you enable/disable the plugins? In the MP2 Client, when I go to System >> Plugins >> TV, the only thing listed is Rows and Hours for EPG. In the TV Server Setup. none of the Plugins reference the 3.0 or 3.5 plugin.

Regards,

Ron

vninja

Portal Member
    July 28, 2015
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi...I have the same problem and question.
    In the SetupTV app I see my channels, can preview them, but in the GUI I can't watch any of the channels. Maybe I have the wrong engine too? I just haven't found where to change it.
    Thanks...product looks good. Migrating from Windows MC. Frustrated by it's lack of support.

Ron Fort Collins

Portal Member
    July 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi...I have the same problem and question.
    In the SetupTV app I see my channels, can preview them, but in the GUI I can't watch any of the channels. Maybe I have the wrong engine too? I just haven't found where to change it.
    Thanks...product looks good. Migrating from Windows MC. Frustrated by it's lack of support.

Hi Vninja,

Same here, WMC is going away in Windows 10, so I decided it was time for an alternative. I am using MP1 on my media center PC, and have been very happy with it. I too am stuck in making progress with MP2. Hopefully we will hear back from the MP experts soon regarding the TV engine. But more and more, I am thinking that I will just stick with MP1 for now, as I'm not so sure whether MP2 is quite ready for prime time yet, and MP1 is working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom