[solved] MP2 - How do I switch off Audio Description? (1 Viewer)

Chris L

October 14, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi, apologies for the probably stupid question, but I've not been using MP2 for very long.

I'm on Win10, and use MP2 to view/record TV from a DVB-S TBS 6904 card.
I've just updated to MediaPortal 2.2 Pre-Release but had the same issue on the previous release..

I cannot, for the life of me, work out how to switch off the Audio Description that is present on some films. From what I can gather, for MP2, the config should be handled in the the client settings, as opposed to the TV Server Configuration.

So, I start MP2, go to Settings...and cannot work out where to go next? Seems totally different to the MP1 Audio Setting instructions.

Thanks, Chris

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

the recordings sometimes have several audio channels. The first one is used automatically. You can try to use the channel with Multiple Channel Audio (sorry, german GUI here) via the Settings -> Player -> Video-Player -> Prefer Multiple Channel Audio -> Yes. For changing audio channels on the fly press the blue button on your MCE remote while the movie is played and select the desired channel. If you do not have a MCE remote I do not know.

Cheers

Blue Max

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I think he means the audio channel which contains additional spoken text to describe what happens on screen for blind people like some German public channels have for some movies.

If that is on the first rank in the audio channel order then it gets selected for playback automatically.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    f that is on the first rank in the audio channel order then it gets selected for playback automatically.
    Automatic subtitles can be switched off in the settings.

go to Settings...and cannot work out where to go next? Seems totally different to the MP1 Audio Setting instructions.
    Right, MP2 is not MP1. But there is an option somewhere. I would believe that you can find it in the "TV" section where you can configure both subtitles and closed captions independently.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    He does not mean subtitles. He means audio description. That is additional spoekn text to describe a scene in a movie for blind people. They can hear the normal sound of the movie with people talking. Additionally there is spoken text to describe e.g. what one person is doing or how the scenery looks like.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That is additional spoekn text to describe a scene in a movie for blind people.
    I know. :) But as you already wrote that's just one additional audio track. This will, however, be automatically selected as long as the respective option in the settings is activated.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You mean Closed Captions? Where the text is actually displayed on the screen for the hearing impaired?

For the thread starter: If you want to switch off Closed Captions then go to Settings -> Player -> Video Player -> Subtitles (Closed Captions) -> No.

If you mean audio description as additional sound in an audio track then refer to my first answer.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For the thread starter: If you want to switch off Closed Captions then go to Settings -> Player -> Video Player -> Subtitles (Closed Captions) -> No.
    Yep, that will probably do the job.

Chris L

October 14, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    You mean Closed Captions? Where the text is actually displayed on the screen for the hearing impaired?

If you mean audio description as additional sound in an audio track then refer to my first answer.

Cheers

Blue Max

You were right in that I do mean the additional audio track played over the normal film audio. I don't have a remote (but can get one), but in any case I'm using MP2 mainly as a DVR and so fixing this on the fly doesn't help me much.

I can see the option "Settings -> Player -> Video-Player -> Prefer Multiple Channel Audio -> Yes", isn't there a setting somewhere that allows a permanent deselection of the Audio Description soundtrack?

I did find this previous query but it was referring to MP1 and I'm not even sure it really answered the question: Disable Audio Discription

It does however refer to this in MP1:
    "Audio Settings
    Some channels contain multiple audio streams with different encodings (MPEG, AC-3 etc.) and/or languages. You can use these settings to prioritise the streams so that MediaPortal automatically chooses streams with particular characteristics."

This sounds like it's along the right lines. Am I wrong in assuming there would be equivalent settings in MP2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom