MP2 newbie EPG and other setup feedback... (1 Viewer)

mrmr1234

January 16, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So, I was forced to move to W10 after may years of using WMC on xp then W7 for Live TV and DVR. I've been going thru few options there, and so far none as painless as WMC. MP2 was pretty good to isntall and setup, Live TV setup good, video stable, audio quality very good. Next EPG setup! Hell! Tried many things, struggle mostly because I'm not a AV person, I barely know the difference between RF channel vs virtual channel, anyways, I finally figured it out.

To summarize, in the US everything it appears is virtual channel.subchannel. MP2 setup methods all showing RF channel numbers is what IMO was the most confusing and obfuscating part of setup! WIth almost 100 channels showing up here in silicon valley (OTA), trying to manually map them is not appealing... lets say I'd rather just subscribe to newpaper and magazines :). To add insult to injury, the setup window which shows red/yellow/green colors for channel mappings could not be resized on W10 to get full TEXT of what I was gonna map each channel to. Editing files, XMLs, ...... meh!

Anyways, is there an easier way? I just want TV guide like:

2.1 FOX : show1 show2 ....
7.1 CBS: show1 show2....

thanks
MR

mrmr1234

January 16, 2018
Home Country
Actually, I did try EPG-buddy, and after few wresting matches, did get it to generate tvguide.lst, which I finally managed to get MP2 to import/process..... but again the problem I think is the channels are showing up using RF channel IDs instead of virtual channel Ids, and mapping them doesn't appear to be easy, specially given that mostly red/yellow buttons in the mapping window are not wide enough to display full text.

mrmr1234

January 16, 2018
Home Country
Yes, I figured that out last night, and was able to expand, and now at least I see better.... still gave up trying to map almost all 100+ channels.

BTW, I installed/tried jrvier and nextpvr last night, and it automatically did all the mapping. EPG download for jriver was automatic with all mappings, and npvr shows all channels in virtual channel.subchannel format... so i wonder why mp2 is different that way. Anyways, I'm gonna play around with them for a bit. Thanks for your help.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Thanks for that info..... Those have been around for some time and the EPG-Buddy and MP2 are still working things out.
    Oh... and your welcome

Rob S

February 12, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi, I am in the same situation as MRMR1234, recently moving from WMC to MediaPortal on Windows 10. I haven't gotten to trying to map the channels yet, I'm struggling to get the EPG to populate. I went into setup and followed the Wiki article to configure the guide settings. It's been 10 hours, and all channels show no program data. Here are screenshots of my settings. Any advice would be appreciated.
    DVB EPG Main.PNG
    TV EPG Grabber.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom