[fixed] MP2 Server and hardcoded(?) share drive letter (1 Viewer)

Terra

Portal Pro
August 25, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi,

I noticed that when starting the MP2 Server it maps a drive with letter S: called "MediaPortal 2 resource access".
Just out of curiosity I mapped S: to a harddisk partition and started the MP2 server and nothing was mapped.
Nothing is mentioned in the logs

I saw that the letter S is hardcoded(?) in the \All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config\administrator\MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.Settings.ResourceMountingSettings.xml

First of all I have no idea what this share does, but if its needed maybe you can implement a check that searches for an available drive letter and chooses a free one?

I'm running the MP2 Server on Windows Server 2003, if this is only an issue on this OS please ignore this report.

thanks & br
Stefan

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The settings file you mentioned allows you to change the used drive letter. By default the Client uses drive R: and the server S:.

Detecting free letters could be done, but would maybe not the best solution. There can be still issues with removable drive letters. Maybe we can add a feature to installer to choose the drive letter.

When we used Dokan 0.60 before , we could use NTFS mounted folders, but this version was not stable and causes BSODs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The second part of the answer:

dokan is a library that allows us to create a virtual filesystem to access remote files inside local filesystem. This way we are able to serve any media file and use it like it is stored locally (works also with dvd and bd).

If the drive letter is not available on startup of client or server you will find a message in log that remote access is not possible.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Terra

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    By default the Client uses drive R: and the server S:.
    !!!!!!!!
    R: was already mapped on my Client and that was the reason why accessing media from the Server did not work!!! Now I can watch the media which is stored remote after I changed the drive letter to Z: !!
    I could always browse my media in MePo2 but was unable to play it. And I thought it was because my Media Server runs on WinSrv2003 and didn't post a Bug report because of the unsupported OS.

If the drive letter is not available on startup of client or server you will find a message in log that remote access is not possible.
    I saw the log exception, but couldn't find a hint regarding the drive letter or would have never imagined that it is related to something like a drive letter not available.

Code:
    [2012-03-11 00:25:33,023] [61660  ] [Thread7  ] [WARN ] - MediaPortal.UI.Players.Video.VideoPlayer: Unable to play 'Resource '{e88e64a8-0233-4fdf-ba27-0b44c6a39ae9}:///I:/MOVIES/MyMovie/My Movie.m2ts' at system 'fbbac7da-6fd2-4ddb-b40b-6db046d9d7c8'
    MediaPortal.Utilities.Exceptions.EnvironmentException: Cannot mount resource 'Remote resource accessor for resource '{e88e64a8-0233-4fdf-ba27-0b44c6a39ae9}:///I:/MOVIES/MyMovie/My Movie.m2ts' at system 'fbbac7da-6fd2-4ddb-b40b-6db046d9d7c8'' to local file system
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.MountingDataProxy..ctor(String key, IResourceAccessor baseAccessor)
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.CreateMountingDataProxy(String key, IResourceAccessor baseResourceAccessor)
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.GetLocalFsResourceAccessor(IResourceAccessor baseResourceAccessor, String path)
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.ResourceLocator.CreateLocalFsAccessor()
      bei MediaPortal.UI.Players.Video.VideoPlayer.SetMediaItem(IResourceLocator locator, String mediaItemTitle)
      bei MediaPortal.UI.Players.Video.VideoPlayerBuilder.GetPlayer(MediaItem mediaItem)
    [2012-03-11 00:25:33,027] [61664  ] [Thread7  ] [ERROR] - Unable to create media player for media item 'My Movie'
    MediaPortal.Utilities.Exceptions.EnvironmentException: Cannot mount resource 'Remote resource accessor for resource '{e88e64a8-0233-4fdf-ba27-0b44c6a39ae9}:///I:/MOVIES/MyMovie/My Movie.m2ts' at system 'fbbac7da-6fd2-4ddb-b40b-6db046d9d7c8'' to local file system
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.MountingDataProxy..ctor(String key, IResourceAccessor baseAccessor)
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.CreateMountingDataProxy(String key, IResourceAccessor baseResourceAccessor)
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.StreamedResourceToLocalFsAccessBridge.GetLocalFsResourceAccessor(IResourceAccessor baseResourceAccessor, String path)
      bei MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.ResourceLocator.CreateLocalFsAccessor()
      bei MediaPortal.UI.Players.Video.VideoPlayer.SetMediaItem(IResourceLocator locator, String mediaItemTitle)
      bei MediaPortal.UI.Players.Video.VideoPlayerBuilder.GetPlayer(MediaItem mediaItem)
      bei MediaPortal.UI.Services.Players.PlayerManager.BuildPlayer_NoLock(MediaItem mediaItem, ICollection`1& exceptions)

Terra

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Agreed. It's more like a missing config in the Alpha right now and not really a bug

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do we really need a config option for that? If I remember correct those drives are created as soon as MP starts and are removed when MP stops. So ideally to prevent drove letter related issues MP has to check that when it is going to start and choose free drive letters, every time it starts.

Additionally to the auto-assign ( to prevent errors), there could be an option for the preferred drive letters, but still auto-assign wins, in case there is a conflict with the preferred ones.

I am not sure, but I don't think there should be an option to detect the drive letters within the installer, as the reason explained above, MP is creating the drives on every startup.

Terra

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Additionally to the auto-assign ( to prevent errors), there could be an option for the preferred drive letters, but still auto-assign wins, in case there is a conflict with the preferred ones.
    That would imho be a nice implementation. I have a startup script that maps around 8 drive letters and also starts MePo on Windows startup. Such an option with prefered drive letter would be nice so that I can control which drive letter it should use and not block one that I want to map with something else.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm not sure if the installer should present a configuration for the virtual drive letter, maybe. But the letter which is taken by MP2 by default should be configurable for the user in the GUI. I think we should simply add a configuration setting for that in the GUI.

Off course, MP2 will check if the letter is available and choose the next one until it finds a free drive letter.

Edit: It is no problem to add that configuration setting, for both server and client. But as we don't have a server configuration utility yet, we cannot present that setting for the server to the user at the moment. I think there will be a web configuration interface for the server in the future.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Reset the thread to [Bug] because I am using currently another application which is using S: already. When starting the Server it does not create a dokan drive using an alternative drive letter.

The Mantis issues is still open. So no need to create a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom