Portal Member
August 2, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Here's a few things about me that will probably help:
- I'm a recent transplant from Windows Media Center
- I'm a keyboard guy
- I use MP2 exclusively for recording TV (U.S. OTA) and it's working well
- I have MP2 Summer15 installed on the tv server (because the Kodi plugin wouldn't work with Spring16; although I'm no longer using Kodi), and I have Spring16 installed on a remote PC

I have quite a few questions, but I'm hoping they're all pretty straight-forward:

Keyboard access:
I found docs for MP1, but I couldn't find anything for MP2. So maybe if someone can point me in the right direction, I can find this on myself. But otherwise:
- Is there a keyboard shortcut (or even command-line) to directly access the TV guide?
- Once in the tvguide, is there a keyboard shortcut to advance 12/24 hours at a time?
- Is there a keyboard shortcut to change the current tvguide group?
--> I know I can cursor over to these and press <enter> but I'm looking for a more direct/easier to access method

Tv guide genres:
I'm using the "XmlTv" plugin with tvguide data obtained from a website. The tvguide.xml file contains genres (as <category>) but MP2 doesn't seem to pick it up. The only place I can find a reference to "genre" is if I click on a tv show, select "extended recording" and then it shows the genre is blank. Any help with this?

Misc:
Is it possible to display more time breaks above the tvguide? e.g. showing the top of every hour would be ideal.

Is there any way to turn off "always on top" when the window isn't full-screen and/or be able to minimize it?

Well, I have a couple more questions, but that's a good start :)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I can answer a couple of your points:
    - Is there a keyboard shortcut (or even command-line) to directly access the TV guide?
    Shift - G should work, other keyboard shortcuts are listed in the wiki.
    Is there any way to turn off "always on top" when the window isn't full-screen and/or be able to minimize it?
    Alt - Enter will toggle between 3 states, Full screen -> Windowed (always on top) -> Windowed, so in your case press Alt - Enter twice when in full screen
    Is it possible to display more time breaks above the tvguide? e.g. showing the top of every hour would be ideal.
    This is something that I am going to be adding soon...

I haven't used TV much so I can't answer your other points, hopefully someone else can help you there.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I have MP2 Summer15 installed on the tv server (because the Kodi plugin wouldn't work with Spring16; although I'm no longer using Kodi), and I have Spring16 installed on a remote PC
    The most recent Kodi TV-Server plugin generally is working on every MP2 build. I'm using recent Weekly or internal test builds, much newer than Spring 16 and the Kodi TV Plugin always is working flawlessly. (have a Raspberry Pi with OSMC in the bedroom). It is not recommended to use different versions of Server and Client at all. Especially with the massive changes for the next mayor release this won't work any longer...

Tv guide genres:
    As far as I know, genres are not jet supported in MP2 TV Guide. I'm no fan of "genres" other people had set as they most often don't match my taste, so I'm not very familiar with it. But if you are using xmltv you can run some post-processors on your guide.xml to add the genres to the description field before importing them into the TV engine database..

On your keyboard questions I can't help that much as I'm using a remote to control my HTPC... On my remote there is a special key to access the EPG directly as example.

Sirath

Portal Member
    August 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure how I missed the keyboard wiki, I thought I had looked for it... Likewise, I'm not sure how I missed the Alt+Enter thing, it's what I had been using and apparently never noticed that it did what I wanted :oops:

Genres really aren't *that* big of a deal to me, either. Having come from WMC, I think that the only genres it uses are movies, sports and news, but it's probably just something I've gotten used to seeing after 5+ years and not something I couldn't live without.

I think the additional time breaks will help a lot, though, so I'm glad to hear that's being worked on!

mrj

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2012
    hi
    - Once in the tvguide, is there a keyboard shortcut to advance 12/24 hours at a time?

I added these two lines

<KeyBinding Key="-" Command="{Command Path=ScrollBackward}"/>
    <KeyBinding Key="+" Command="{Command Path=ScrollForward}"/>

to the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins\SlimTv.Client\Skin\BlueVision\screens\SlimTvClient-fullguide.xaml

The "+" key on the keyboard will move the guide forward 24 h.
    The "-" key on the keyboard will move the guide backward 24 h.

mrj

Attachments

• SlimTvClient-fullguide.zip
      1.4 KB
    Last edited:

Sirath

Portal Member
    August 2, 2016
    Home Country
    I modified the file and +/- work -- excellent!

And regarding the prior question I had about keymapping next/previous channel group -- I just discovered the "hide all channels group" setting, which is a big help; although, I'd probably still use a keybind if available (as far as I ever knew, WMC didn't have a keybind for that either, so I can certainly live without it).

I get the feeling that I'm an oddity for preferring keyboard access :) I used to have a remote, but when it broke I replaced it with a wireless keyboard/touchpad which I've found to be much more useful (for general Windows control).

Ok, one last question which I think might actually be a request -- Is it possible to display the channel numbers along with the channel callsign (left side of tvguide)? That would be much more meaningful to me than the local station's affiliate callsign.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, one last question which I think might actually be a request -- Is it possible to display the channel numbers along with the channel callsign (left side of tvguide)? That would be much more meaningful to me than the local station's affiliate callsign.
    It's possible already and should be shown by default. Did you try to install the last weekly development snapshot?

Btw., the next big release will include a WMC skin for MP2. You can find a lot of screenshots and infos in the forum. Look and feel will be very close to WMC.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Isn't there a keybinding for the colour keys on remote already to switch the groups? I'm quite sure, as I never use the buttons on screen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom