MP2A4 server with existing Argus TV and MP1 clients -- worth the upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Captain Dunsel

Portal Member
January 26, 2014
New York
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been using MP1 for about a month now after a long and successful relationship with SageTV. My current setup:
  • Windows 8.1 x64 server with MP1.6, Argus TV 2.2.1 scheduling, SQL Server Express 2012 with SP1, Ceton InfiniTV 6
  • TV via Verizon FiOS, guide information from Schedules Direct
  • Two MP1.6 clients on Windows 7 x64 with SP1, running on Intel NUC
My experience so far has been great, and as this is my first post to the forum I can't pass up this opportunity to publicly thank the developers for their hard work. :)

I've been a developer for 35 years, so I'm always willing and interested to play with beta code, and I'm planning to deploy the MP2 *client* on a test system to mess around with it. But the bigger question is: given my setup above, is there any benefit to *just upgrading the server to 2.0A4* in the above configuration?

Specifically, would the existing 1.6 clients gain any new features or benefits, would my server and tuner (which is Cablecard-based) see any features or improvements, etc. I don't want to touch the clients until I have the time to evaluate the MP2 client for risk of lowering my current WAF, but if the server would see any benefits independent of client changes, I'd certainly be interested in that.

Thanks for your opinions on this...

CD

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi and welcome to MP forum :)

is there any benefit to *just upgrading the server to 2.0A4*
    MP2 is completely independent from MP1, so installing it on server only doesn't have an impact on MP1 at all. It won't change your MP1 installation. Only the MP2-Client can use the MP2-Server.

So you can safely try both products on same system.

I would recommend one of the 2 installers from threads below, which are based on MP2 Alpha 4 but contain already all required components for TV support.
    The 2 builds are taking two different approaches to provide TV:
    1. Using existing installed MP1 TvServer and MPExtended for communication. This one is the better way for MP1/MP2 "mixed mode"
    2. Using the new TVE35 engine, which is currently under heavy development and will replace TvServer in future. As you are from "ATSC-region", I cannot recommend this version for now, as there are known issues (i.e. ATSC channel scanning is broken).
    Please read more about features and known issues inside the 2 linked threads.

I switched my HTPC to MP2 using MPExtended and MP1 TvServer and use it since one month exclusively. This fact brought many improvements to features, as I require them ;)

So feel free to make your own experiences and don't hesitate to share your impressions :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Captain Dunsel

Welcome from me as well. :)
    MP2 Native TV currently doesn't support CableCARD tuners, so you'd run into trouble with this:
    Ceton InfiniTV 6

Support is on the way. It will just take some time...

mm

Captain Dunsel

Portal Member
    January 26, 2014
    New York
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks to both of you for your quick and clear replies. I now have a better feel for how things fit together and how to proceed with testing and evaluation.

@mm, as CableCARD support gets closer, LMK if you need help with specific testing. In addition to the InfiniTV 6 currently in service I also have an InfiniTV 4 sitting on the shelf that I can put into a spare system.

CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom