MPEG4 MP4 MPEG-4 -- Definative Solution? (1 Viewer)

shawnwc

Portal Member
August 11, 2006
Boston, MA
So if I buy Power DVD 7, this will install something that will work with MP, and will expand the ability to play MPEG-4 video files?

pannivas

Portal Pro
July 26, 2006
Nicosia
Home Country
Cyprus Cyprus
after testing powerdvd 7 with an HD 1080i encoded file as well as with serveral other mpeg4 xvid files i didnt like it.

i prefer NVIDIA Purevideo decoder for my MPEG2 DVDs and HD mpeg2 encoded files and ffdshow with some filters enabled for mpeg4 xvid/divx files. ffdshow is a CPU leecher no doubt about that, but if you have the CPU to spare then it does a very good job imo.

shawnwc

Portal Member
August 11, 2006
Boston, MA
fddshow - If I'm not mistaken is a post process app.

My problem is that when I add a MPEG-4 video file, and try to run it -- nothing happens. It doesn't load to play at all. And makes a cranky error sound.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    try quicktime or quicktime alternative, both support MP4 playback, and do not forget to add .mp4 support under MP setup/movies/movie extensions.
    With the above plugin installed should let .mp4 files play in WMP and of course MP.

KnightAzul

Portal Member
    December 17, 2004
    try quicktime or quicktime alternative, both support MP4 playback, and do not forget to add .mp4 support under MP setup/movies/movie extensions.
    With the above plugin installed should let .mp4 files play in WMP and of course MP.

.mp4 is a container (just like .avi) which can contain video and audio in many formats. I'm not sure that Quicktime can play MPEG-4 AVC H.264 inside an .mp4... however, it is peferctly capable of playing apple's proprietry MPEG-4 format inside .mp4.

KnightAzul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom