MPEM Development Info & Testversion (1 Viewer)

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All,

As you may know I created a mockup UI based on the design concepts above, however the mockup was rushed and not really suitable to use to build an actual application from.

This week I started re-writing the UI so I could add to the repository.
    The MPEM UI uses a WPF MVVM framework so it can be easily updated/modified to keep up with future MP1 and MP2 builds. The last global thing missing from the UI is localization which I am working on now :)

As it stands now the Models for the UI are still mockups as I need further input from other developers on what information we have in the MP repository.
    These mockups can be found in the Common project.

Once the UpdateService is up and running the MPEM UI will fetch this data from the service, The Service will in turn fetch the data from MP's repository and from the users instance of MP1, MP2.

I have attached a working copy of the UI as it is now (SearchView only) with some dummy data.
    If anyone wants to add more extensions to the dummy data that would be awesome :) :)

Attachments

• Debug.rar
      3.6 MB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks :) that need testing now, i will try tomorrow or i would say in few hours lol

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi sa_ddam213 - Awesome that you are making so much progress! (y)
    Unfortunately I may need more instructions ;) I get a Windows error when I try to run. Using Win7 Ultimate 64 bit English with MP 1.3.0 final.

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:	extensionmanagerui.exe
      Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 03:	51981e90
      Problem Signature 04:	ExtensionManagerUI
      Problem Signature 05:	1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06:	51981e90
      Problem Signature 07:	61
      Problem Signature 08:	8
      Problem Signature 09:	System.Windows.Markup.XamlParse
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	0a9e
      Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:	0a9e
      Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have copied all in MP root and start it and it start (i'm on win8 x64) :)

MEM.JPG

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi sa_ddam213 - Awesome that you are making so much progress! (y)
    Unfortunately I may need more instructions ;) I get a Windows error when I try to run. Using Win7 Ultimate 64 bit English with MP 1.3.0 final.

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:	extensionmanagerui.exe
      Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 03:	51981e90
      Problem Signature 04:	ExtensionManagerUI
      Problem Signature 05:	1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06:	51981e90
      Problem Signature 07:	61
      Problem Signature 08:	8
      Problem Signature 09:	System.Windows.Markup.XamlParse
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	0a9e
      Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:	0a9e
      Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Do you have .NET4.5 installed ?

And MPEM is stand alone, you don't need an MP install at this point its only dummy data until the service is running :)

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Do you have .NET4.5 installed ?

And MPEM is stand alone, you don't need an MP install at this point its only dummy data until the service is running :)
    I don't think so, I have .NET4 (Extended and Client Profile)
    I don't think either MP1 or 2 require 4.5 yet do they?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    On another note, before I forget, you mentioned wanting feedback from extension devs. I am not an expert, but I do use MPEI for aMPed skin and help Guzzi with My Films, and as Docs Mgr I have received MANY questions via forum and PMs from various extension devs confused about MPEI. In my experience the two biggest issues are:
    1. Publishing your extension - currently there is a separate process to actually submit your extension (which adds it to http://install.team-mediaportal.com/MPEI/extensions.txt) which is hideous because it does not remove old extensions, remove duplicates, etc. etc. Many times devs do not understand why their package does not display in MPEI for users.
    2. Compatibility - extensions often retain previous versions for compatibility with previous versions of MP because not all users update right away. Currently when you create a new update.xml in MPE Maker it just adds the new extension and keeps the old listings, even though the links may no longer work! There is no easy way to 'choose' which versions to keep other than manually editing the update.xml which is less than desirable imo. ;) If you delete the update.xml and start fresh, you lose all the previous versions. As a result, some extensions just use a new update.xml (in a new location or with a new name) for each version - hence some of the duplication you will see in extensions.txt.
    I realize you are planning a whole new process which will hopefully avoid these and other issues. But I wanted to give you the feedback just in case it is relevant.

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @sa_ddam213: Looking awesome! And it works allready really smooth.. Nice job!

Are you working on a Mediaportal plugin for this aswell? Like we have now also for the current Mediaportal extension installer? :)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    1. Publishing your extension - currently there is a separate process to actually submit your extension (which adds it to http://install.team-mediaportal.com/MPEI/extensions.txt) which is hideous because it does not remove old extensions, remove duplicates, etc. etc. Many times devs do not understand why their package does not display in MPEI for users.
    2. Compatibility - extensions often retain previous versions for compatibility with previous versions of MP because not all users update right away. Currently when you create a new update.xml in MPE Maker it just adds the new extension and keeps the old listings, even though the links may no longer work! There is no easy way to 'choose' which versions to keep other than manually editing the update.xml which is less than desirable imo. ;) If you delete the update.xml and start fresh, you lose all the previous versions. As a result, some extensions just use a new update.xml (in a new location or with a new name) for each version - hence some of the duplication you will see in extensions.txt.
    I realize you are planning a whole new process which will hopefully avoid these and other issues. But I wanted to give you the feedback just in case it is relevant.

I need to agree on both of these. Publishing extension is too much manual work, it should be more straightforward even it is done mostly by devs. Too many things can go wrong.

Also we need better support for multiple plugin versions for different MP versions. Currently in MP Extensions pages this just hacked by adding some extra fields like current "MP 1.4.0 Pre-release" is...just take a look. I doesn't look very professional.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also agree to these two points.
    But, besides MPEM itself (container-format, external WPF-Management app, inbuilt plugin/browser), especially these two points are heavily related to the online component: the repository, gallery or call it whatever you want.

I don't see these issues being resolved completely by keeping the existing repository.

sa_ddam213
    No offense, your work is very important and highly appreciated on the client (access to the plugins) side.

My only concern is that others might expect improvements from the MPEM tool for the overall process, which are affected by the server component (hosing the plugins). Do you have any concepts or plans which server components will be used?
    If we stay with the current repository, i.e. it will still be required to fill in the plugin information (metadata) twice. Once in the plugin package and once on the website when uploading it, unless upload and release of new packages can be done via API from within the MPEM tool.

It might also be problematic to store multiple versions (best would be all official ones) of the same extensions, keeping the download stats, etc...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom