MPG movies dont play anymore with VMR9 Rendering (1 Viewer)

Diliban

July 28, 2005
I have the exact same problem. After reading this post I did some research and found out that some MPEGs do play. I think those created/encoded by VLC Player (Atleast in my case I think) does not .

trojkolka

Portal Pro
December 24, 2004
The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
i've got installed mega codec pack from codecguide.com
and i have no idea how to put a small file up my smallest movie file is 640MB which seems to be a little to big. How bitter it may sound i'm glad someone else can confirm my problem too allthough i rather didnt have the problem it's still a weird problem because in media player classic it plays without any problem...

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    That is to big to get in the mailbox :wink:
    Have you tried the suggestion on their homepage, there are some issues with ATI cards?
    http://codecguide.com/

If that doesn’t help, you can use graphedit to check witch codec’s being used for mpg files.

Regards
    Roy

Diliban

July 28, 2005
    I am not using any codec packs ( as I think Media Portal Setup instruction says not to install one but use ffdshow??!!) . But I can play the file in Media Player Classic or VLC player.But with Media Portal or WMP10 it fails. My Media box is connected to the TV so when I play the file using VLC or MPC the video is smudged. maning it seems like both these players are trimming the video to fit to the TV orientation (4:3 ???). but when I play the same video on my computer connected to a monitor it plays fine. could it be because of the orientaion (4:3 against 16:9 , "Am I saying the right thing here???" ) or in layman's terms DVD vs TV orientation???

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Codec pack or not you may have to follow the instructions on that page to make sure the dll files are registered. It's a problem with the ATi installer for a recent driver release.

DutchMaster

Portal Member
    March 1, 2006
    Germany
    I saw the same issue when I installed a new system. Its not a MP bug.
    It crashed even wmp10 :shock:
    The cause was that a necessary codec was not installed. After installing it worked all as it should.

Get a codec identifier to help you recognise which codec needs to be installed.
    Here is a list with tools:
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=38#38

I have used Gspot, but there are other tools as well. In my case it was an AVI, but there are tools for MPEG as well.
    It will show also if a codec is installed, or if there are more then one.
    If that is the case, your error could be caused by rivaling codecs, causing both to hang.

BTW if these are binfiles you need to download Deamon Tools to "mount" the file as a CDROM first. The you could access the moviefile via Explorer and use the tools as mentioned.
    Media Portal has no problem with binfiles, but Windows has :lol:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Its obvious that WMP10 is missing a codec, hence MP which uses that player by default will not play file.
    Have you got either CYBERLINK or WINDVD for playing dvd's installed as both will natively supply WMP10 with codecs.
    Also check that WMP10 is the default player for file types

Hope you have success, do not give up.

8)

trojkolka

Portal Pro
    December 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Paranoid Delusion said:
    Hi

Its obvious that WMP10 is missing a codec, hence MP which uses that player by default will not play file.
    Have you got either CYBERLINK or WINDVD for playing dvd's installed as both will natively supply WMP10 with codecs.
    Also check that WMP10 is the default player for file types

Hope you have success, do not give up.

8)

I have cyberlink powerDVD and Intervideo WinDVD installed on my computer but still no play of mpg files in WMP. I found out one mpg movie would play and that movie is readable with videoinspector too. but all the other movies who are actually also mpg movies cant be read by WMP10 or videoinspector(=about codec information) in Media Player Classic there are no problems at all.. with any of my movies. Really strange i think. Most of the mpg movies who wouldnt play were vcd or svcd and i copied them from the mounted cd to my Harddisk and renamed them to .mpg and first they would play perfectly in MP but since WMP10 or ATI 6.x it doesnt and i really dont know what the problem is...Any ideas? i will try them all because converting that many movies is not done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom