MPMovieCatalog - plugin/utility for remote managing movie database (5 Viewers)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Maybe he will adopt the changes when 1.0.1 fianl is out which sould be the case in not so far future.

New version (0.0.4 RC3) for MP1.0.1 is available there

Is this plugin still under development?
From what I have tested so far all issues I found are resolved with the latest release when running under 1.0.2 stable.

I have a small enhancment request however:

It would be nice if you could edit the discid field of the movie table and if it would also be displayed within the gui and prints. This would make the whole thing much more usable when having your movies on DVDs. If you want to watch a movie you have to know which DVD to put in.

Regards,
grubi.

robii

Portal Member
March 5, 2009
Some ideas maybe for enhancement

First, big thanks for developing this, works great :D

I like the idea to directly maintain my movie collection in MP, as I am currently doing with with AMC, which is creating some overhead. Moreover, AMC importer and other tools were not really working that well, with their own scripts etc (I i.e. like the approach that MP scripts can be reused as-is).

Nevertheless, I no not really "trust" the MP DB. It is easy to loose with upgrades, and difficult to share across multiple PCs. What I would hate is the idea of loosing all efforts put into a good maintained movie collection.

So some ideas for extension here, to make this the perfect tool:

1) Besides from MP scripts, file based grabber, which looks for a local XML / NFO with movie details and a local JPG if those should exist with same name as movie itself. Great if this could use the information from the TV Server generadted XML, since documentation, talk shows etc has all the information from EPG in there, and doing an IMDB lookup etc is pretty useless here.

2) Batch import, searching for all files in a video folder recursively, doing the lookup if no information can be found for that movie in the MP DB already, and automatically adding information to the MP DB. MP is somehow doing this from the config, but I was asked to confirm every single match (even those with only one search result). With hundreds of movies, this sort of confirmation is pretty annoying

3) Batch export of the MP movie DB to local XML / NFO files (same like existing export, but creating a local XML / NFO and JPG in the folder of the specific movie, with same name

Doing so, one could
a) Build up a huge movie collection pretty fast, using the batch import
b) Once the collection details are all updated accordingly, run the batch export
c) If MP DB is lost or reusing movie details on another machine would be easy, simply running the batch, using the local XML / NFO file information that has been created before. This would even work if movie collection is on shared drives, one would rerun the batch, have data imported from the local XML / NFO / JPG

I know that this can be partially achieved by AMC Updater or other tools, and Moving Pictures has some of these features, but using a whole bunch of different tools is pretty unhandy, and I do not like the overhead really of Moving Pictures, as I am fine with the GUI capabilities which is offered by the MP Videos standard functionalities.

kirill_mmm

Portal Pro
July 3, 2008
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
New version 0.0.4 is available!

First, big thanks for developing this, works great :D

:D

1) Besides from MP scripts, file based grabber, which looks for a local XML / NFO with movie details and a local JPG if those should exist with same name as movie itself. Great if this could use the information from the TV Server generadted XML, since documentation, talk shows etc has all the information from EPG in there, and doing an IMDB lookup etc is pretty useless here.

You could just create your own script for this purpose, think it's not a problem.

2) Batch import, searching for all files in a video folder recursively, doing the lookup if no information can be found for that movie in the MP DB already, and automatically adding information to the MP DB. MP is somehow doing this from the config, but I was asked to confirm every single match (even those with only one search result). With hundreds of movies, this sort of confirmation is pretty annoying

This feature is introduced in new 0.0.4 release.

3) Batch export of the MP movie DB to local XML / NFO files (same like existing export, but creating a local XML / NFO and JPG in the folder of the specific movie, with same name

Why don't you like existing XML-export?

robii

Portal Member
March 5, 2009
Re: Some ideas maybe for enhancement

:D for the new release, can´t wait to test this one :)

I.e. good to see that batch import is now possible.

I have tried indeed to implement a grabber for local XML, i.e. the XMLs that are generated by TV Server any way for every recording. Problem I have with this is that

void MediaPortal.Video.Database.IIMDBScriptGrabber.FindFilm(string strSearch, int iLimit, ArrayList elements)

does only provide the search string, which is the words from the file name, without path. So it turned out to be impossible to conctruct the file location. Initial idea was to take the full name of the video file, just replacing the file type with .XML and doing a lookup if such an XML does exist (and same for looking for a JPG when doing the cover lookup).

It might be an option to simply parse all titles from an ANT XML that one has exported from MPMovieCatalog, searching for a title matching all words from strSearch while iterating on all titles.

With regards to export: I am happy with export capabilities, but I am probably more missing an import capability which can restore video details from a format that can be exported.

In general, XML with corresponding name in the same directory has the same advantages that MP already uses to display covers if a corresponding JPG can be found in the same folder with same file name - this is completely indedendent from file locations, different drive letters for shares for multiple computers, USB drives mounted with different letter, moving directories etc. In the worst case, one would go for a batch import based on local XML and recover the whole MP video DB with updated details including latest file location.

Exporting to an ANT XML will have absolute path names in it, and those might need some path replacement if one would recover the DB by ANT XML import, or using those details maintained per client when running in a multi-seat environment by importing the latest exported data into every client.

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: MPMovieCatalog - plugin/utility for remote managing movie database

I found the following problem:

When using IMDB grabber the actors are returned as comma seperated list so all actors are inserted as a single actor.
Built in video editor does handle this correct.
Any way to work around this?

BTW: Would be nice to also have a delete button for the actor list.

Regards,
grubi.

kirill_mmm

Portal Pro
July 3, 2008
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Re: Some ideas maybe for enhancement

robii
The idea about XML export/import is interesting, so I'll think over it.
Re including file path to search string - I can provide a possibility to edit search string for each file. Is it suitable?

grubi
I'll check grabber tomorrow. But what version of IMDB grabber do you use? The last one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom