MPTray not working with Emprex remote (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win7 Ult x32
For hardware see Old HTPC in sig.

I've just done a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate x32 and MP1.2.1 (client only as I haven't got a TV card installed at the moment).

My Emprex Vista MCE Remote's Green MCE button was causing Media Center to load, so I checked MP Config and ticked the Disable button under 3rd Party Checks and enabled Autostart MPTray, which did then load. However, now the MCE button does nothing except make the mouse pointer flicker, so it's obviously being received but MP is ignoring it.

No doubt this remote is not a "real" MCE compatible one, but Windows certainly treated the MCE button as real enough to start Media Center, so I don't see why MP shouldn't be able to use it to launch MP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The button is mapped to the media center exe file not via the ehome driver launcher, thats why we need a 3rd party solution to get them to work.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    The button is mapped to the media center exe file not via the ehome driver launcher, thats why we need a 3rd party solution to get them to work.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying.

Are you saying

1) the MCE button is mapped to the media center exe file (and this is the same on all MCE remotes/remotes with a MCE button)

2) therefore we need a 3rd party solution to make this button launch MP (and we don't have such a solution at the moment. In which case, what's MPTray for?)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The ehome driver has its own set of leyboard commands, which is what MPTray links to launch Mediaportal.using a real MCE remote, try the keyboard shortcuts as per M$, they are useless to launch MP.

Windows Media Center keyboard shortcuts

What would be useful, if we had a remote guy around anymore, to make this configurable in MPTray, but then other remote software can launch mediaportal.exe, have you tried IRSS,

sshot-20.jpg

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, so MPTray only works in connection with the ehome driver, which only real MCE remotes use. Got it.

I can just use AHK to map the button to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe" then, which will open it or bring it to the foreground if it's already running.

Nakasone-Nagoya

Portal Member
    November 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Japan Japan
    I would love to understand what this thread is saying because I have a similar problem but the replies read like gobbly gook. What is AHK (auto hot key maybe)

All I want to do is lunch MP with green key with my alternative remote instead of WMC. How difficult can that be?

Remember I have the same problem so please don't tell me to use MP configure because i did that and it still doesn't work.

Can some just show a step by step method to do this

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I would love to understand what this thread is saying because I have a similar problem but the replies read like gobbly gook. What is AHK (auto hot key maybe)

All I want to do is lunch MP with green key with my alternative remote instead of WMC. How difficult can that be?

Remember I have the same problem so please don't tell me to use MP configure because i did that and it still doesn't work.

Can some just show a step by step method to do this

I can't give you detailed advice as I don't know anything about your remote (and I'm only just learning to use AHK (yes, autohotkey) myself, but in my case I used AHK with the AHKHID script and Other HID Info script to find that my MCE button was sending code 13, so in my script I've used:

Default_13:
    Run, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe"
    Return

You could look at EventGhost instead though, as I believe that has a profile already for MediaPortal.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I've moved to EventGhost in conjunction with the MP MessagePlugin now, which is a lot simpler to setup, particularly considering the issues with keymapping in MP as I've documented here

The only issue I had was that the Power button was still putting the PC to sleep. I tried various things to stop this, such as disabling the HID service, installing Intelliremote (which supposedly traps this key), and adding

"CodeSetNum0"=dword:00000000 ;
    "CodeSetNum1"=dword:00000000 ;These four values put the standard global windows keys out of function. These are
    "CodeSetNum2"=dword:00000000 ;volume +, -, mute and .... windows sleep mode. I so hated that button
    "CodeSetNum3"=dword:00000000 ;

to the RC6 registry key as suggested here, but in the end I just had to change Windows Power Options to set the Power/Sleep buttons to "Do Nothing" and now I can use that key with EventGhost.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Just to be clear to everyone, Eventghost + MP message plugin gets every key working, including launching MP, also will it pull MP into focus the same way the green button on a MCE remote does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom