MS Sql with MP 1.18? (1 Viewer)

jachin99

Portal Member
September 3, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In an attempt to retain most of the functionality of the TV 4 Home Windows Home Server 2011 Media Portal addin, I am wondering if using MS Sql with media portal instead of my SQL will do me any good. On previous installations of both TV4Home, and MP 1.18, I have used MS Sql. My install method has been to install TV4Home, and then install MP 1.18 over top of the MP version that ships with MP. I have already been advised that the MP version which ships with TV4Home is extremely out of date. After upgrading from TV4Home to MP 1.18 some functionality is retained however the TV4Home MP used MySQL 5 whereas MP 1.18 uses MySQL 6 hence, my question of what would happen if I attempted to use the full version of MS Sql that is included with Windows Home Server 2011 for my MP Database. I apologize for the off the wall questions, and if this is something that nobody can answer or will support, then please advise me of that at least. Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You should be able to use MS SQL. However, I might have thought it would be easier to configure "TV4Home" - whatever it is, still don't really understand! - to use the MySQL 5.6 database that TV Server is already using. Saves changing TV Server over to a new database, which is doable... but I wouldn't recommend it for somebody who didn't have a bit of prior experience with databases.

jachin99

Portal Member
    September 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Without knowing too much about it myself, I believe that TV 4 Home or any other WHS addin is just a kind of View, I.E. a way to view information about some software that is running on the server. My theory is that the view provided in TV 4 Home needs to be updated to the newer version of my SQL. Even if I ported my existing DB over to My sql 6, TV 4 Home is only compatible with the older version. Without using WHS, there isn't necessarily a good way to describe it. Windows home server shipped with an application called the dashboard, which was meant to be a user friendly way of viewing information about your server. Here is a TechNet link if your interested Overview of the Dashboard Also a link to the tv4home homepage TV4Home - The all-in-one TV solution! - Home

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hang on just a moment.

What is the problem you're trying to solve here?

You said:
    After upgrading from TV4Home to MP 1.18 some functionality is retained...

So, obviously some things are working.
    What exactly is not working?

Even if I ported my existing DB over to My sql 6, TV 4 Home is only compatible with the older version.
    Are you certain about what you're saying here?

I thought you said you had:
    1. Installed TV4Home.
    2. Installed MediaPortal 1.18 - including TV Server - over top of that.
    My expectation of the situation after #1 is that the ancient TV4Home version of TV Server would have a MySQL 5.1 database by default.

After #2 I hope you have one - and only one - version of MediaPortal and MediaPortal's TV Server installed. In the process of the upgrade, the installer may have seen the existing MySQL 5.1 database and automatically hooked into it. If that happened, you should already have a setup that is as functional as it's ever going to be. In another thread/post you said that TV4Home had seen your PRIME tuners. This is strong evidence that TV Server and TV4Home are already using a single database.

Putting that aside, I currently see no reason why TV4Home should be incompatible with the new MySQL 5.6 database engine. The TV Server database structure has certainly changed, and that may break compatibility with TV4Home without possible recourse. However the engine connector is the the same as it was for MySQL 5.1.

Frankly, TV4Home looks like it has been abandoned. From a brief look at its website I can understand why you want to continue to use it. However, there's a very real chance that any stuff that's not working now will never work again.

jachin99

Portal Member
    September 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Because I have never had a fully working version of it, I can't say for sure exactly what is missing. I can say that that the tuners tab shows the radio, dvb, and HD Homerun Tuners on V 1.18 but will not show the HDHR tuners on the MP version that ships with TV4Home. With TV 4 home, and MP 1.18 installed I get an error on the channels tab, and I never got the web EPG to install correctly throughout my experience (I installed MP Extended V .6 beta). I should also say that I have reinstalled windows on this machine and I am yet to install TV4Home on the new build. I know for a fact that TV4Home is abandoned. I'm guessing whatever MP APIs TV4Home tapped into still work but the database APIs have been broken, at least with My SQL. To be clear, I installed TV4Home, and then upgraded to MP v 1.18, then reinstalled the OS, and that is where I am at now. I only had one version of MP on the machine at any given time. This is why I want to try TV4Home with the MS database, I wonder if everything would still work in TV 4 HOme

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Because I have never had a fully working version of it...
    Sorry for what might be a stupid question: what exactly do you mean when you say "it"?

The more specific you are, the more able I am to help. Screenshots, log files, videos... all helpful.
    Always keep in mind that I've never seen or used TV4Home, and I can only work with what you tell/give me.

I can say that that the tuners tab shows the radio, dvb, and HD Homerun Tuners on V 1.18 but will not show the HDHR tuners on the MP version that ships with TV4Home.
    I have to assume that when you say "tuners tab" you're talking about MediaPortal TV Server Configuration's tuner list. If my assumption is correct, I've already explained why this is the case: the version of MediaPortal's TV Server that ships with TV4Home doesn't support CableCARD tuners like your HDHR PRIME. I'd like to point out that this particular issue is nothing to do with the "guts" of whatever TV4Home actually is, and it has everything to do with the version of MediaPortal TV Server.

With TV 4 home, and MP 1.18 installed I get an error on the channels tab...
    Again, I'm assuming when you say "channels tab" you actually mean MediaPortal TV Server Configuration's "TV Channels" section.

You're going to have to be more specific if you want me to actually help you with this.
    For a start, what does the error say!

and I never got the web EPG to install correctly throughout my experience (I installed MP Extended V .6 beta).
    This makes absolutely no sense to me! WebEPG has nothing to do with MPExtended, and as far as I know neither WebEPG nor MPExtended are directly related to TV4Home. Therefore I'm not even going to attempt to address this.

I'm guessing whatever MP APIs TV4Home tapped into still work but the database APIs have been broken...
    If you mean MediaPortal TV Server's database structure when you say "database APIs" then I absolutely agree.

...at least with My SQL.
    Okay, now I think I understand why you're wanting to try MS SQL... and if I've understood correctly, I can tell you that any such attempt will be absolutely pointless. To understand why it would be pointless, you have to understand the difference between the database engine and the database structure.

MySQL 5.1, MySQL 5.6 and MS SQL are database engines. The API for the database engines has not changed. Any given version of MediaPortal's TV Server - including the ancient version installed by TV4Home - and/or TV4Home itself can use any of the aforementioned database engines.

The thing that could break compatibility between TV4Home and MediaPortal's TV Server is a change to the database structure. By structure I mean [for example] a change to the data that is stored (eg. a new tuner property, or a new type of channel, or a new type of schedule etc.). The database structure has changed several times between the version of MediaPortal's TV Server installed by TV4Home and the newest version.

This is why I want to try MP with the MS database, I wonder if everything would still work in TV 4 HOme
    As explained above: I think trying the MS SQL database is pointless.

With the greatest respect, I'm also starting to wonder: do you understand the difference between MediaPortal TV Server Configuration and TV4Home?
    I'm wondering this because the two specific issues you've mentioned so far - HDHR tuners not showing with the TV4Home version of MediaPortal's TV Server, and the "channel tab" error - have nothing to do with TV4Home (!).

Maybe it would be more beneficial for you to simply install the latest version of MediaPortal before installing TV4Home so you can see what is provided by MediaPortal. You may find that what you thought was provided by TV4Home is actually a default part of MediaPortal's TV Server, and so you may not need TV4Home at all. At the very least I hope you'll better understand the divide between what is MediaPortal stuff and what is TV4Home stuff.

Last edited:

jachin99

Portal Member
    September 3, 2017
    Home Country
    You might have to give me a few days to form a documented and we'll articulated response. Sorry for being so unclear.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There's no rush from my end. Please take your time. I'm not going anywhere. :)

jachin99

Portal Member
    September 3, 2017
    Home Country
    TunersPage.PNG
    StatusConfiguration.PNG

Installation.PNG
    TVTab.png

I get 2 errors on the TV Channels tab, One error is shown after the program has been running and is included in the screenshot. Upon starting my dashboard, and therefore TV4Home, I also get an error saying, "The columns name free to air does not exist" The one tab on TV4Home I haven't been able to test yet is the recordings tab.

I took your advice and installed MP 1.18 THEN TV4Home, and I haven't noticed any differences in my error message.

It looks like your right, and a database schema change is causing an error message. What would be your recommended path forward for fixing it?

The TV4Home addin also adds a link to all of my client computers (Windows home server clients, NOT media portal clients) to the web EPG on the client's WHS 2011 Launchpad (software that is installed on server clients which enables said clients to take advantage of features such as remote desktop connection, media and file browsing, etc. Clicking on that link shows a blank box with some German on it.

KayDiefenthal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2006
    Germany - Bonn
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    uhh there is an very old Project inusage

this Project was created by Mike ,Alex ,and me for an longtime ago 2010 ?
    our Goal was bring the MP Tv Server configuration to Windows Home Server XP and to Vail (Windows 7 based)
    so that Windows Media Center and other Clients see TV4Home Source can use that as source for TV Radio Related things

the Configuration part is based on an old SetupTV Version of MP Tv Server configuration and the communication to the clients over an own webserver Interface

i think with out any code rewrite is it an dead project

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom