Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hello everybody,

I am using Mediaportal 1.0.0.0 and I´m very happy with it. One thing I have read about now is "multi channel decoding".
In the manual of TV-Server is described:

Multi channel decoding allows you to view/record multiple tv channels with just 1 tv card.

And that sounds really good to me, because sometimes I want to view a channel and want to record on another channel. And I don´t want to install a second card and throw a second cable and so on....
Nearly what everybody wants I think

Can anybody say something about that "feature"? Any experiences?

As I could see, not every card supports that feature. Interesting for me would be, how do I "configure" it, or does it work from the scratch without any further configuration?

I am using a DVB-S2 TV-Card (Terratec Cinergy S2 PCI HD) which is not displayed in the section "supported TV-Cards".
It works fine for me with one Channel simultaneously - by the way - and maybe it does not support the "multi channel decoding" I don´t know....

Would be great to hear from your experiences about that feature.

Thanks

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
I don't have any experience of that card, but the feature definitely works for me - but - the channels have to be on the same transponder. No additional configuration necessary - it just works. Try it and see, but you need to pick the right channels.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Multi-channel decoding depends on which MUX the channel is on. A MUX is like a frequency, that can contain a number of channels. THis is static, meaning that you cannot always record any 2 channels, only the ones that are in the same MUX. THis is not always easy to know, which channels are "MUX'ed" together. And I have no idea how this works on DVB-S.

One thing you have to do, if you are using a tv-tuner with a CAM: In the settings for the card (same place you enabled the use of a CAM) you have to set the number of channels the CAM can decode simultaniously to something bigger than 1. I usually set it to 10, since then I am sure that I won't run out of channels.

Hope this helped a little.

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
December 16, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Just to get it right:

- In General multi channel decoding is possible
- It does not only depend on the transponder (I am working on one transponder)
- It does also depend on the MUX
- CAM is not used in my environment. But thanks for the info

I got the experience that when I record a specific channel, I could view SOME others, but not all. This would fit to your explanation jonaskp.

So, if you really want to record one channel and want to be able to view one of all the other channels, you have to use a second card. Got it right?

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
Transponder is equivalent to MUX - transponder is for DVB-S and MUX for DVB-T.

So, if you really want to record one channel and want to be able to view one of all the other channels, you have to use a second card. Got it right? - Yes.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
You can actually see which channels are available when you are also recording something. If you are recording something, go into the channel-list (the list that shows current and next program on all channels, not the tvguide). Depending on the skin you use, you can see which channels are available. I am almost sure this is working on Blue3 - it has some icons to the right, that shows what is going on on a specific channel and if you can view a channel or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom