[solved] Multiple issues with new MP2.2.1 install (1 Viewer)

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.2.1

Description
I really don't know where to start with this. My upgrade to MP2.2.1 has been a total disaster so far. Long story short:

Fresh install of Windows 7 fully patched (took all day).
Fresh install of MP2.2.1 (client / server) with my old 2.2 pre-release database subsequently copied back.

I am getting ALL these errors in random order.

1) "Unhandled exception" at the MP2 splash screen. MP2 fails to launch.
MP2 error.jpg
if I can get past that...

2) "No player registered" when I try to play live TV.
No player.jpg
and if I can get past that...

3) "Error invoking action start timeshift"
Time shift.jpg

In addition on more then one occasion I have also had a dialogue box nearly as tall as the screen when trying to start the TV Configuration GUI. I did not manage to screen capture this yet.

My attempts to "fix" this have been repeated (and i mean REPEATED) repairs and re-installs, but each time one of these three issues re-occurs.

Also, although the MP2Server service is running, the icon does not appear in the system tray after a restart even though I have it set to do so. In my old installation, the icon would be there regardless of whether the service was running, or how many (if any) clients were connected to it. Also, clicking the MP2 Service Monitor icon does nothing. I cannot get the monitor window to come up. Immediately after an install these icons are present and the Service Monitor works, but after a restart, they don't appear.

I have attached logs and images of the error messages that I have managed to grab so far.

One thing that might be worth mentioning: Due to problems with my broadband I can currently be connected to the internet OR my home network but not both at the same time. This doesn't seem to make any difference to the problems, and as the client and server are on the same machine, the home network access should not make any difference, but I thought I should mention it as it is the only unusual thing about my setup right now.

Steps to Reproduce:
There are no steps. I cannot get the install to work at all.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-05-05-20.54.15.zip
    1.8 MB

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Right I've made some progress on this, but still not fixed it.

The "No player registered" error seems to be a red herring. In fact for some reason I did not have permission to access the timeshift folder on my PC I think this is because is is on a seperate drive to my OS, and somehow the user credentials got screwed up after I re-installed Windows. I gave myself access and that was fixed.

Also after yet another re-install, the Service Monitor icon does work now, but the system tray icon is still not there by default.

I also now have some consistency on the "Error invoking action start timeshift".

If I restart the PC, then the MP2Server ison does not appear in the system tray, even though it is running. If I launch MP2 and try to play live TV, I get the error.
Now, if I launch the Service Monitor, the window appears showing my client connected to the server. Also the system tray icon appears. If I manually stop and restart the MP2Server service from the tray icon, then try to play live TV then it works.

I think that somehow the MP2Server service is not actually starting up properly, even though Windows says it is.

I also had a couple of instances of the errors when launching the TV Configurator, but thankfully they seem to have been only temporary. I have attached them for reference.

TV Server Config error.jpg TV Server Config error 2.jpg

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
I think that somehow the MP2Server service is not actually starting up properly, even though Windows says it is.

My hunch was right. Manually stopping and starting the MP2Server using the Windows Services dialogue works as well. No need to have the system tray icon visible.

I changed the MP2Server service startup from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed)" and now I don't have to manually stop and restart the service after a reboot. The downside is that I now cannot use MP2 for about 2 minutes after a reboot, but that's not a big problem. But I am wondering why I have had to do this when my previous install worked fine?

I've marked this as solved. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Mr Whippy

Portal Member
June 18, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had this issue with a 2.2.1 install too.

At boot up everything loaded, except my WiFi would sit spinning the 'detecting' logo over the WiFi strength icon thing in the system tray... it'd stay that way for about 30s and then suddenly connect once the MP server said it was 'started' in the task manager.

But this wasn't actually started nicely. I had the same errors as you. I had to manually stop/restart the service to get everything working.

A delayed start seems to work.

However I'm curious why it didn't start, and in my case it seemed to impact my network connection being made.

I'm also having issues with UPnP being sent from MP2 not getting through my firewall.

For me, definitely something fishy around the network/UPnP side of things at start up.

Either way it seems bad practice to have this in a deployment if it causes issues. If it shouldn't, then there is a bug.

This bug isn't solved.

MP2 should deploy in a working state that doesn't require a user to faff around testing for hours.

bill h

July 16, 2019
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've started getting the same error, but coupled with the MP2 client randomly freezing. I'm now at the point where it won't launch unless I run it as an administrator. Ideas?

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
...coupled with the MP2 client randomly freezing.

I have had a couple of instances where I get a message saying "Media Centre has stopped responding" (or something similar) together with frozen video. Shutting down and restarting the client has always worked and the error has not re-occurred in that session. Its not happening frequently enough for it to really bother me, though,

bill h

July 16, 2019
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have had a couple of instances where I get a message saying "Media Centre has stopped responding" (or something similar) together with frozen video. Shutting down and restarting the client has always worked and the error has not re-occurred in that session. Its not happening frequently enough for it to really bother me, though,
Unfortunately for me it freezes every 2-15 minutes.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please enable debug logging and after a crash use the log collector and attach the logs here.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom