Multiseat: Recording stopped when recording/watching other channel (1 Viewer)

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

i've got a problem with my mediaportal installation from time to time (quite regulary).
    For this post i tried to reproduce the problem which "succeeded" at the first try.

The Problem is, that sheduled recordings didn't finish properly and sometimes stop after some seconds or minutes. It often happens when i'm watching other channels while recording, but it did also happen when the client was absolutely turned off and no other recording was scheduled.
    The hardware should be pretty capable of dealing with multiple recordings. Please find the specs of both Server and Client in my profile.

Here's the story for the logs:
    1. Restarted TV Service
    2. Started MP Client via Watchdog
    3. Go to TV-EPG: Start first Recording "Die Story".
    4. Watched the Recording folder of the server: Recording file exists and it's size is increasing
    5. Choosed another channel and also started recording: "Stieg Larson"..
    6. Watched the recording folder: The Filesize of "Stieg larson" is constantly increasing whereas the first recording stays constant at ~20MB. After some minute i manually stopped both recordings, deleted the recordings and stopped the TV Servivce.

Please finde the logs attached, unfortunately i can't find anything in the serverlogs which points to an error?
    I appreciate any help on this issue

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Hotkey

Please try to enable preloading for all your tuners, or else reverse their priority so that tuner D is preferred over C which is preferred over B... and finally tuner A if no other tuner is available.

Regards,
    mm

the_cat

Portal Member
    February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I have almost the same issue. But the issue happens only when I watch a channel on the same transponder as the record.

Hardware :
    Digital device double tuner + Common interface
    Astoncrypt 2.26 module
    all channels are scrambled.

Case 1 :
    - Record something on channel 1
    - Watch someting on channel 2 not on the same transponder
    -> everything goes fine

Case 2 :
    - Record something on channel 1
    - Watch something on channel 3 on the SAME transponder
    -> Record of channel 1 stop (It says it is recording but if I watch the record, it stop exactly when I began to watch the second channel)

If I look to the tuner control in the configuration tool, i see that the column "scrambled" of the recoding of case 2 switch to yes while tuning to channel 3 (on the same transponder) -> maybe there is a "reset" of the transponder that affect all the channels on the same transponder

Workaroud : if I set for each tuner the number of channel the smartcard can decrypt to 1 (astoncrypt module can decode up to 2 channels, as case 1 shows), the issue didn't occurs (but I suppose instead of using the same transponder of the same tuner, it uses the other tuner as case 1)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome @the_cat :)

I have almost the same issue.
    What you've described is a limitation of DD's MTD (CAM sharing). With MTD, each tuner can only use the CAM to decrypt 1 channel. It doesn't matter which software you use, whether the CAM can decrypt 100 channels or more, or the channels are on the same transponder. The hardware/driver limit will still be 1 channel per tuner. Therefore you must set the CAM limit to 1 for each tuner. So, your "workaround" is actually the correct configuration. ;)

the_cat

Portal Member
    February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hello and welcome @the_cat :)

What you've described is a limitation of DD's MTD (CAM sharing). With MTD, each tuner can only use the CAM to decrypt 1 channel. It doesn't matter which software you use, whether the CAM can decrypt 100 channels or more, or the channels are on the same transponder. The hardware/driver limit will still be 1 channel per tuner. Therefore you must set the CAM limit to 1 for each tuner. So, your "workaround" is actually the correct configuration. ;)

Thanks for the explanation !

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks a lot for the input. So far i tried to active preloading which doesn't solve the issue. I also tried to set the CAM limit to 1 which doesn't solve my problem either.
    Now i changed the Tuner priority as sugested.

For the moment i think the problem is related to the idling of the system. This thread is also covering the same issue:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...tops-working-on-hd.124787/page-4#post-1124710

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

after some time i figured, that the problem exists only on some channels (German TV "RTL" and "VOX", which apparently are on the same frequency/ Symbolrate).

The problem only appears when i try to start a recording once in the evening.I start the recording (doesn't matter if i do this manually or if i schedule the recording), the recording starts and after some bytes where written the size of the recording doesn't increase anymore. If i start the MP Client it still says that it is recording the program.

When i then delete the recording and start it again, the problem does never arise a second time during this evening. Although the server doesn't get restarted the problem arises again the next evening. (the problem also exisits, if the server gets restarted anyway).

I don't have the problem with other channels (maybe some more on the same Frequency of RTL and VOX like "N-TV", but i never record anythin on these channels so i'm not quite sure.

I've attached the TVService.log of the last attempt as well as the TSWriter.log. In the TSWriter i can see a lot of error messages roughly 16 seconds after the start. This is exactly the duration of the 15MB recording that was stored. Of course this might point to a signal problem, but as stated above i never get this problems again after the first attempt was canceled (until the next evening).

What I've also tried is to change HDD-Drives (New HDD, same Recording then Timeshifting, Different then Timeshifting, SDD/HDD, same drive as OS and different: Nothing helps.) The Antivirus and other "Security Software" is completely disabled.

I know this must be a very tricky reason, but maybe someone has an Idea what might solve the problem...

Many thanks in advance!!

Starting time is [2015-03-23 23:10:10,652]

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Hotkey

I know this must be a very tricky reason, but maybe someone has an Idea what might solve the problem...
    Are you sure the problem isn't with your method of decryption?

I've attached the TVService.log of the last attempt as well as the TSWriter.log. In the TSWriter i can see a lot of error messages roughly 16 seconds after the start. This is exactly the duration of the 15MB recording that was stored. Of course this might point to a signal problem, but as stated above i never get this problems again after the first attempt was canceled (until the next evening).
    ...so you need to find a pattern: what else is happening at the same time as those error messages that could be causing them?

It could be internal to the PC...
    To check this, if I were you I would open TV Server configuration, go to the manual control section, and monitor the signal strength/quality, TS packet count and discontinuity count for the stream. At the same time I'd open task manager and check the resource monitor, because it is not only security software that can be problematic. Any software that heavily loads the HDD can cause problems.

It could be external to the PC...
    Perhaps a household appliance which generates interference at the right frequency (eg. cordless phone, microwave, AV receiver...) is switching on/off at that time.

Find the pattern => problem solved.

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks a lot for your input. The PC is a stand alone PC which is solely running the MP Server and is located in a separate room in the loft, directly connected to the sattelite distributor . Of course there are possible interferences like a windows update. But this doesn't fit to the pattern i allready found, that only some channels are affected by the problem.

I'll try to do some more testing (start at different times, do a fresh reboot before i tune to the channels, etc.) and will report back then.
    Thanks so far for your help!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Hotkey,

The TVServer.log is unfortunately cut before the discontinuity errors occur and get logger in the tswriter.log. From this perspective it is difficult to make any judgement. mm has a point when he flags decryption: what about ´the other HD+ channels, particularly all of them on the same transponder and/or from the same provider?

It might be helpful if you posted complete logs (use watchdog to collect all exisiting files). In any case a systematic problem research as described by mm is certainly the right thing to do.

regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom