multiseat streaming doesnt work on newly installed win7/vista (1 Viewer)

Zepman

Portal Member
July 28, 2010
now the question remains.. is it a bug ... dont think so , if you cleanly install everything also clients, it wont happen ?
it only happens if you go from DB to another DB while you have clients already installed.
I don't think it's a bug either, since it doesn't occur when MediaPortal is used 'normally'. It might be a feature request, although I doubt the priority would be high (DBMS changes do not occur a lot). Perhaps a document on the Wiki explaining what is required for DBMS migration in a multi-seat environment might be enough.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    the only weird thing that remains... is when installing RC2 first... and then upgrading (tvserver only)..
    it works right away... that confuses me a bit...

or does the upgrade set a flag somewhere that it actually will get the new config from the tvserver on the client...

but that will probably remain a mystery because you can easily fix it with copying the gentle.config. :D

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Actually IIRC, in RC2 we were forcing a connect to TV Server (which would freeze MP if TV Server was unavailable) so installing RC2 would get the correct DB config, so it is already updated to the correct one when upgrading to 1.1.0

Zepman

Portal Member
    July 28, 2010
    the only weird thing that remains... is when installing RC2 first... and then upgrading (tvserver only)..

or does the upgrade set a flag somewhere that it actually will get the new config from the tvserver on the client...
    This is not a flame to MediaPortal, but I always found upgrading to be like a magic show: some things will be broken and some other things will suddenly work. It just doesn't feel reliable.

I backup my database, my data directories and my MediaPortal program folders before I do a full uninstall and re-install. Sure, it takes some more time, but this method has never failed me before. And if any problems are found, the first request will always be to try it on a clean install. So why bother upgrading?:rolleyes:

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Actually IIRC, in RC2 we were forcing a connect to TV Server (which would freeze MP if TV Server was unavailable) so installing RC2 would get the correct DB config, so it is already updated to the correct one when upgrading to 1.1.0

well ok .. that indeed explains it... i just dont like it when weird stuff happens i cant figure out ..
    the RC2 way worked better for me :D

This is not a flame to MediaPortal, but I always found upgrading to be like a magic show: some things will be broken and some other things will suddenly work. It just doesn't feel reliable.

I backup my database, my data directories and my MediaPortal program folders before I do a full uninstall and re-install. Sure, it takes some more time, but this method has never failed me before. And if any problems are found, the first request will always be to try it on a clean install. So why bother upgrading?:rolleyes:

Zepman, i actually think that is logical, in developing you dont want to waste your time on getting rc3 to update to rc4 perfectly.. you want a final product that works perfectly.. so i can understand the logic of asking to re-install cleanly..
    instead of wasting time to get the upgrade process working flawless , time is better spend getting the final product ready.

also .. it sounds like you use the RC clients as a production system, hence why you make backups all the time because you need it to run to watch TV ?
    MP clearly states that RC versions are in development and you shouldnt use it as production system .. :D

no flame intended, i just know time is a precious thing.. :sorry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom