Music playback hangs randomly in Wasapi mode (1 Viewer)

wawa79

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Niort
Home Country
France France
MediaPortal Version: 1.7.0

Description
Hello,

I already reported the problem in MP 1.6 and it is still there in the MP 1.7 pre-release: when configured in WASAPI exclusive, music playback hangs randomly (like if paused: time elapsed stops). It occurs sometimes after 1 or 2 seconds of playback or some minutes. When I hit the play/pause key of the remote, playback resumes for a few more seconds and freezes again.

I tested changing the buffer from 0sec to 5 sec : same problem. The log does not report that the playback has stopped.

In attached log, music started at 18:31:49 and played for 57 sec (until around 18:32:46) then paused (no sound, no time elapsing in the playback window). I stopped the playback at 18:33:14.

I did not experience the problem with MP 1.5. How can I help troublehooting the issue?

Wasapi playback is the most important feature in MP to get bitperfect playback (adapting sampling rate to the source).

Steps to Reproduce:
Set Music Player to WASAPI, check Exclusive mode under the WASAPI tab (to bypass Windows mixer). Start MP, play any music track and it will pauses after a few seconds/minutes.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.zip
    40.9 KB

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I did not experience the problem with MP 1.5. How can I help troublehooting the issue?
    First start would be to post full debug logs after reproducing the issue. You can use the WatchDog for this.

The buffer settings are very hardware specific. From my own experiences i need a bigger buffer (set to 0.5) when i use the BASS engine, but for WASAPI that needed to be lowered. I've got that set to 0.1 seconds now and playback of remote files is perfect. Maybe you can try setting it to 0.1 also.

Besides that, there were 2 issues what are fixed in the upcoming 1.7 Release:
    MP1-4389: BASS_ERROR_START when selecting a 2nd song while 1st is paused
    MP1-4391: Memory leak in bass_vis

So maybe (if the lower buffer settings doesn't work) you might want to wait a few days and give the 1.7 Final release a try ;)

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    First start would be to post full debug logs after reproducing the issue. You can use the WatchDog for this.
    I attached the only file from the log folder in a zip in Debug mode. I am afraid I do not understand how to use the Watchdog as my issue does not result in a MP crash...

So maybe (if the lower buffer settings doesn't work) you might want to wait a few days and give the 1.7 Final release a try ;)
    Ok, I will wait until Friday then. Playing music outside MP is a real pain and Windows mixer resampling is just crappy: I can't wait listening to music "as before" (eg bitperfect + great MP navigation)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am afraid I do not understand how to use the Watchdog as my issue does not result in a MP crash...
    It doesn't have to be a crash, but it needs to be a complete logset after you had the pause. More info about the WatchDog is in our Wiki, so simply start MP with option 1 and start listening music ;) Once the issue occurs, you stop playback and close MP. At that point the logs will automatically be collected and you can attach the .zip file here ;)

Ok, I will wait until Friday then. Playing music outside MP is a real pain and Windows mixer resampling is just crappy
    Did you try setting the buffer to 0.1 also? I've been using WASAPI for a long time, and it's working very nicely here (so maybe with some tweaking on the buffer you can achieve the same?).

My used settings:
    MusicSettings.PNG

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    Did you try setting the buffer to 0.1 also? I've been using WASAPI for a long time, and it's working very nicely here (so maybe with some tweaking on the buffer you can achieve the same?).
    I could reproduce the issue with a buffer of 0,1s: music hangs exactly the same. See the log attached (I discovered the watchdog wiki ;-) ) .
    Anyway, I don't like the idea of reducing the buffer as it is intended to avoid stream disruptions of music stored on my NAS.

I just noticed that, if music is the first source I play after booting Win7, I will not have the "music hanging issue" (I listened to approx 5 - 7 min of music with no issue whereas it usually hangs after 10 to 60 sec of playback). I reproduced this 4 times out of 4 trials tonight.
    If I start the PC, watch TV, in many cases (but not all :-( ), I will get the "music hanging issue" when switching to music playback (3 out of 5 trials).
    When playing successively a 16bits@44,1kHz track and a 24bits@96kHz, I experienced a "music hanging issue" also.

When I had the "music hanging issue", I reconfigured MP Music Player to "ASIO", and it worked (but non bitperfect, of course): this tends to excuded a standby/resume issue on the USB audio device (my "soundcard" is an USB to SPDIF interface)

Therefore I suspect MP not switching to/from Wasapi correclty under certain conditions. The fixes of final MP 1.7 will probably help. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Logs shows nothing weird. You start the song:
    [2014-04-16 22:41:08,832] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player.Play(\\DISQUERESEAU\Nos documents\Nos musiques\Paolo Nutini\Live Sessions\01 - Paolo Nutini - Jenny Don't Be Hasty (live at Parr Street).flac Music)
    which starts playing about a second later:
    [2014-04-16 22:41:09,187] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player.OnStarted() \\DISQUERESEAU\Nos documents\Nos musiques\Paolo Nutini\Live Sessions\01 - Paolo Nutini - Jenny Don't Be Hasty (live at Parr Street).flac media:Music

and about 15 seconds later, you stop it again:
    [2014-04-16 22:41:24,024] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - g_Player.doStop() keepTimeShifting = False keepExclusiveModeOn = False
    [2014-04-16 22:41:24,026] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player.OnStopped()
    [2014-04-16 22:41:24,034] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - RadioRecorded:OnPlayRecordingBackStopped Music \\DISQUERESEAU\Nos documents\Nos musiques\Paolo Nutini\Live Sessions\01 - Paolo Nutini - Jenny Don't Be Hasty (live at Parr Street).flac

What view are you using inside the Music section? Shares View or did you run an import on the music database?
    Can you post a screenshot of your Music Folders settings? MP Config >> Music >> Music Folders >> select the share and hit the 'Edit' button, make a screenshot of the window that opens.

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello Jeroen,

I just upgraded to MP 1.7 and the issue is still there :(. Same setup in Music > Player settings (Buffering = 0,1s, gapless play back, WASAPI exclusive). In the attached log, music hanged after 55secs. I waited a few more seconds and stopped MP.

My music is imported into the music database and the default view is set to 'list' (see screenshot)

I have custom views configured (I wonder if they can be exported as it is a real pain to recreate them when I reinstall from scratch :confused:). During the test, my custom view was 'Par album récent' (see screenshot): it displays album with Cover flow layout and tracks with list layout.

I am going to play with the buffer size to see if I get any improvement

Attachments

• Music_folders.jpg
      Music_folders.jpg
      33.7 KB
    • Music_views.jpg
      Music_views.jpg
      35.4 KB
    B

BassFan

[2014-04-17 20:04:30,838] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - PluginManager: Plugin file PureAudio.dll is broken or incompatible with the current MediaPortal version and won't be loaded!

deactivate or remove it
    then check again

greets

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    [2014-04-17 20:04:30,838] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - PluginManager: Plugin file PureAudio.dll is broken or incompatible with the current MediaPortal version and won't be loaded!

deactivate or remove it
    then check again

greets
    PureAudio was of course deactivated when I run the test. It is just reporting a compatibility issue with MP 1.7.
    Anyway, I removed the dll and run the test again. 50sec of music this time...:ROFLMAO:
    Maybe this thread can be moved from MP1.6.X to MP1.7

B

BassFan

please upload the file which make this Trouble so i can check it here
    deactivate all plugin which not used for Music to.
    so you can be sure that this influence nothing.
    you need to narrow down the error all other plugins interfere because only

and also Play the file for testing issues with USB-Drive from a Harddrive to..
    and test it with other Device instead of Nuforce Async USB Audio if you can..

greets

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom