Music playback hangs randomly in Wasapi mode (1 Viewer)

B

BassFan

no idea if your has this... check Driver Setup for Wasapi to.
trying only to eliminate all other possible sources of error then search in MediaPortal.
WASAPI works normally without any problems

greets

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    and the default view is set to 'list' (see screenshot)
    That's good ;) Since another user recently discovered an obsolete setting (album) which caused issues and isn't fixed yet in the 1.7 Final release. List is fine and works perfectly.

(I wonder if they can be exported as it is a real pain to recreate them when I reinstall from scratch )
    All the settings from MP Config should be saved in your MediaPortal.xml file, which you can find in: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal

Have you tested with BASS player yet? Curious if you have the same issue with that. If not, it might narrow down the search for the problem, so please test that. ;)

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    please upload the file which make this Trouble so i can check it here
    Well, the issue occurs with ALL files and it did not occur with MP1.5. As explained already, when Player settings are set to ASIO or BASS, the problem does not occur (but ASIO or BASS does not allow bitperfect playback)
    The problem does not occur when playing from Foobar in WASAPI exclusive mode (same file, same computer, same audio device)

deactivate all plugin which not used for Music to.
    so you can be sure that this influence nothing.
    you need to narrow down the error all other plugins interfere because only
    I use the watchdog to run my tests MP so plugins are deactivated.

and also Play the file for testing issues with USB-Drive from a Harddrive to..
    I copied the same music track into the C:\Test local folder of the SSD. Same issue (with buffer=0.1sec).
    Track played fine the first time (yes, it happens time to time...) and it hanged after 4secs when I tried to play it a 2nd time. Logs are attached.

When trying to increase the buffer size over 0.5sec, MP does not even load the track and returns an error when trying to play. I do not understand the reason why a bigger buffer prevents playback. Since I use MP, I ALWAYS set the buffer to 2 secs without any issue (but ok, MP was not playing WASAPI: I was using PureAudio to connect to an "external" bitperfect player)
    and test it with other Device instead of Nuforce Async USB Audio if you can..
    greets
    I re-activate the on-board 'High definition Audio' device, set it up in MP and tried to play music in WASAPI. Well, it is worse : I get a mix of hissing pink-noise and music as if something was wrong with sample rate. My AV processor shows it receives the correct sample rate (= the sample rate from the source), but what I listen to is noise, not music.
    When playing the same track in WASAPI (both push mode and event-driven mode), foobar just plays fine, whatever device I use (High-definition Audio or nuForce U192S).[DOUBLEPOST=1397773964][/DOUBLEPOST]
    All the settings from MP Config should be saved in your MediaPortal.xml file, which you can find in: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal
    I did not know the views were also stored in MediaPortal.xml. Thanks!

Have you tested with BASS player yet? Curious if you have the same issue with that. If not, it might narrow down the search for the problem, so please test that. ;)
    Yes, both BASS and ASIO work perfectly. But these 2 modes do not bypass Windows mixer which results in crappy resampling! Since bitperfect is broken, I do not listen to music anymore...
    I suppose you understood I am one of these audiophile guys who wear their ears and wallets to get awesome music playback. I got rid of my high-end esoteric CD player, ripped my huge CD collection to FLAC and moved it to MP, relying on bitperfect + SPIDIF interface + some home-made tweaks to reach some kind of Nirvana... Well since MP 1.6, it is just a musical hell :sick:

What drives me crazy is that WASAPI works perfectly with Foobar... :censored:

Last edited:
    B

BassFan

What drives me crazy is that WASAPI works perfectly with Foobar... :censored:
    that is hart ...
    what i not understand i have no Problem with wasapi.

no more ideas for help. sorry.
    only what is can say i have no LAV filter installed for Music.
    that help if you deinstall it?

sorry for my bad english;)

greets

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    no idea if your has this... check Driver Setup for Wasapi to.
    trying only to eliminate all other possible sources of error then search in MediaPortal.
    WASAPI works normally without any problems

greets
    Yes, I have the driver installed and I get perfect WASAPI-exclusive playback in Foobar. So it should also work in MP!

B

BassFan

Foobar do nothing with Bass.dll and Bass_wasapi Or?
    which can not be compared.
    and please work it with *.mp3 instead of *.flac ?

greets

Last edited by a moderator:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,
    Could you post the actual file (you see the issue with) somewhere where I can download it?
    I'd like to test as well.

@Helios61 Could this be related to?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/some-music-wasapi-multichannel-issues.125510/

[edit]
    @wawa79 You probably cant read the above link. Has todo with switching ch + freq in wasapi.
    Could you try this to test.
    Set Windows default audio output to 48kz (same as the file you are trying to play)
    upload_2014-4-18_0-56-11.png

and ofcourse in your audio device settings on output..
    Playback file again with buffer 0.1 - 0.2 sec.

IF it plays fine now, its the switching of frequency whichi is the issue..

Last edited:

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    Could you post the actual file (you see the issue with) somewhere where I can download it?
    I'd like to test as well.
    Any file raises the issue: it is not specific to a special track. All my audio tracks are FLAC (44,1kHz, 88,2kHz or 96kHz).
    The link to my test file
    @Helios61 Could this be related to?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/some-music-wasapi-multichannel-issues.125510/

[edit]
    @wawa79 You probably cant read the above link. Has todo with switching ch + freq in wasapi.
    Could you try this to test.
    Set Windows default audio output to 48kz (same as the file you are trying to play)
    My Windows default is 24b@48kHz and I am playing mostly 16b@44,1kHz music: the issue does not occur when switching format as it starts playing correctly (sometimes for 5 sec but sometimes for 2 or 3 minutes before the music hangs).

To summarize:
    1) MP music set to WASAPI hangs playback both when playing local files and files on a network share
    2) MP music set to WASAPI gives hissing pink noise when using the on-board Azalia soundcard (despite output sampling rate is correct)
    3) buffer over 0.5sec makes playback impossible (popup displaying 'error playing file xxxx')
    4) WASAPI works perfectly when used from Foobar (both in push and event driven mode)
    5) Playback works perfectly in MP when in Bass or ASIO mode

:notworthy: Time for sleep for me...

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My Windows default is 24b@48kHz and I am playing mostly 16b@44,1kHz music: the issue does not occur when switching format as it starts playing correctly (sometimes for 5 sec but sometimes for 2 or 3 minutes before the music hangs).
    Hi, yes I switched the numbers.
    The file you play is 44.1khz and windows is set to 48. Could you try to match it? Put windows on 16b+44.1 as well. Just to see if it is the switching which fails.

I just played a bunch of files, including yours. back and forth. I do not see the same problem you get. Its either a setting or a hardware specific thing.
    You could try different drivers if available.
    see if a fresh MP install helps. (You can backup mp folder or most settings and DB's)

other than that, I would not know how to help further. :( Maybe a dev could take a look at whats going wrong with the wasapi here..

hope this shows something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom