Music player - skip certain tracks whilst shuffling (1 Viewer)

neRok666

December 31, 2014
Australia Australia
I've been using mepo for a long time, and one of my biggest peaves is when I've got my music playing on shuffle and some short intro/talking/etc track comes on in the mix. Preferably I want these files still available so that they play when on 'album play' - those intro's etc are essential then. Currently I'm zipping these files up so they dont play, and unzipping them manually if I want to listen to the album. And before anyone suggests it, I haven't got the time to go an make playlists manually excluding all these files - we are talking hundreds of albums here.

So would it be possible to introduce a simple setting for 'skip tracks whilst shuffling', which checks for a certain metadata tag in the file and skips that file when found? It seems itunes has such a setting, but I don't have anything Apple and thus can't check what tag they are using (it would make sense to use the same tag to keep things compatible).

Edit: Well a couple of minutes after posting this, I found the ipod uses the tag IPOD_SKIP_WHEN_SHUFFLING (source).
Edit2: A winamp thread suggests to "add a "[SS]" to the comment field (SS=skip when shuffleing)" for winamp to skip it.
Edit3: It seems foobar2000 has a plugin that gives it this feature (and more), and it does so via a SKIP tag on the files. This would probably be the way to go, as their tag value can also contain a start and end time (a fantastic idea I hadn't thought of, useful for when what would normally be the last track of a CD has extended silence before a bonus track starts).
I imagine this would be quite easy to code (from a theoretical POV). If the skip on shuffle setting is enabled, check the file SKIP tag (perhaps only a non empty tag?). If it exists, try to parse it as a time range, and play that range. If the parsing fails, skip the track entirely. If the file doesn't have a skip tag, perhaps check for the ipod tag. If that doesn't exist either, play the file in it's entirety.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G [fixed] [MP2-786] Party Music Player can only play playlists with less than 1000 items 2.2 Archive 7
N Music player help Listen Music 4
S Player crash - BASS: Play caused an exception: System.NullReferenceException Watch / Listen Media 1
horned_reaper [solved] When playing music Fanart does not appear immediately after downloading Fanart Handler 209
horned_reaper [Music] 5012: Start current music track from the beginning Improvement Suggestions 21
horned_reaper [solved] 5012: Restart current music track General Support 13
atlantic How to use Spotify inside Mediaportal? Listen Music 18
horned_reaper [solved] Music playback hangs General Support 58
globaldonkey Music Database Error Listen Music 1
joecrow Music on Headphones Listen Music 7
2BitSculptor MP 1.23.. music stops playing General Support 6
Sarxas What Music Are You Listening To? OffTopic 0
Edwardfc [solved] Mp 2.2.1 Configuration Issues - Goes to Sleep while playing Music General 6
KlausWirn Music crash Bass crash no change to play music Installation, configuration support 2
BlueMax1916 [confirm] Music: Every 2nd track skipped MediaPortal 2 30
N How to shuffle all my music, and how to sort by album artist General 4
R MP 2.2 client spielt audio-titel kurz an und springt dann zum nächten Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 9
joecrow Music: Fade Out not working 1.20 Pre Release 0
M Music playback stops after certain files 1.19 0
E [Pending] Handling Multifile Cue Submit: code patches (MediaPortal/TV-Server/etc.) 56
X Music : WASAPI only plays one track then stops General Support 1
T Audio dropouts while playing Music....from both FLAC and WAV...Logs included! Watch / Listen Media 0
F Show Player info while skipping Feature Requests 0
T Wish list for TV Player WMC Skin 16
T TV Player Controls WMC Skin 0