Music Share Watcher Not Working (1 Viewer)

hawihoney

Portal Pro
February 25, 2007
Cologne
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

thanks again.

Both network shares are located on a Buffalo NAS Home Server 2TB. The attach is done with Windows explorer (I'm pretty sure explorer will do something like NET USE M: \\Tera1\folder1 /persistent:yes). N:\ is an USB device attached to the first NAS. But this is completely transparent and shouldn't bring any problems.

MusicShareFolder was just started and some new files were copied to the first share. Some updates took place on the second share. No result.

Do you need the complete MediaPortal.xml or just the part with the share definition?

Here's the musicsharewatcher.log - nothing magic in there:
===
2007-03-14 16:59:12.328125 [Info.][1]: MusicShareWatcher starting up!
2007-03-14 16:59:12.328125 [Info.][1]: Monitoring active for following shares:
2007-03-14 16:59:12.328125 [Info.][1]: ---------------------------------------
2007-03-14 16:59:12.406250 [Info.][1]: M:\
2007-03-14 16:59:12.484375 [Info.][1]: N:\
2007-03-14 16:59:12.500000 [Info.][1]: Unable to turn on monitoring for: I:\ Exception: Der Verzeichnisname I:\ ist ung++ltig.
2007-03-14 16:59:12.500000 [Info.][1]: ---------------------------------------
2007-03-14 16:59:12.500000 [Info.][1]: Note: Errors reported for CD/DVD drives can be ignored.

Here's part of the used shares:
===
OK M: \\Tera2\folder1 Microsoft Windows-Netzwerk
OK N: \\Tera2\usbdisk1\folder2 Microsoft Windows-Netzwerk

Thanks
Harald

hawihoney

Portal Pro
February 25, 2007
Cologne
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I'm using the musicsharefolder.exe. There's no need to (re)start MP itself because it's not running currently. AFAIK just the musicsharefolder.exe needs to run. I just restarted the exe - no result.

Regards
Harald

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    i am talking about the musicsharewatcher plugin.

Hi,
    Did some xtra test to see if i can reproduce it (musicsharewatcher plugin), but i can't (maybe not doing the right thing then :D ).

Currently been testing TVE3 & "PS" & i have all my music on a XP comp as server & not seen this problem & i have used suspend/hibernate a lot lately + updated the mp3 files on network share (was needed to get a clean fast view ;) ).

I have added the path to the shared folder like this "\\servername\Music I" & not using mapped drives for the moment.

Regards
    Roy

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have added the path to the shared folder like this "\\servername\Music I" & not using mapped drives for the moment.

same as what i have set up.

i can replicate it almost every time.
    move a new mp3 into the share folder... MP auto updates the database.

put PC to sleep, wake it up, check the MP is running (it is).. move another new mp3 into the share - file is not added, watcher log show it hasn't even attempted to do anything, just showing the normal 'startup' behaviour.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

same as what i have set up.

i can replicate it almost every time.
    move a new mp3 into the share folder... MP auto updates the database.

put PC to sleep, wake it up, check the MP is running (it is).. move another new mp3 into the share - file is not added, watcher log show it hasn't even attempted to do anything, just showing the normal 'startup' behaviour.

chenks, please check for an existing netbios connection to the network drive.
    with MP active open a cmd prompt and enter:
    netstat -a

You should see something like this:
    Code:
    Proto  Lokale Adresse         Remoteadresse          Status
      TCP    hwahrmann:2500         192.168.10.2:netbios-ssn  HERGESTELLT

The ip address, 192.168.10.2 in my case, should be the IP of your Server.
    after returning from standby, check if this is still active.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

thanks again.

Both network shares are located on a Buffalo NAS Home Server 2TB.

Buffalo is running some sort of Linux.
    Do you have Telnet access to the box?

if so, please check your Samba version with "smbd -V" (without the quotes)

My NAS has Samba 2.2.8a running, which is pretty old.
    i just tried a sample program and got no Event triggered at all.
    will upgrade the box to a most recent samba version by tommorow ans see how it works.

hawihoney

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2007
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

sorry, no. There's no Telnet or SSH access to the Terastation Home Server. I found a statement about this in their FAQs.

Just to be sure: musicsharewatcher.exe is running, MP is not running. This should work but not for some kind of NAS (depends on Samba version) ...

Thanks
    Harald

Buffalo is running some sort of Linux.
    Do you have Telnet access to the box?

if so, please check your Samba version with "smbd -V" (without the quotes)

My NAS has Samba 2.2.8a running, which is pretty old.
    i just tried a sample program and got no Event triggered at all.
    will upgrade the box to a most recent samba version by tommorow ans see how it works.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    yes, correct.
    If a NAS runs Samba, then i won't get the same events as for a Windows based server.
    I will try to make it work on my side with a newer Samba version.

Let's hope that your TerraStation is then using a newer Samba as well, otherwise you have no chance to get it work.
    Then the only way is using the Share View for accessing newly copied music and do a rescan of the share from time to time.

hawihoney

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2007
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

that was my fear, exactly. The problem is that the current scan process has to be initialized from within MP or MP configuration. I both places it's an application-modal task. There's no chance to watch TV while this scan is running. I just added a feature request to ask for a independant scan process (like your musicsharewatcher.exe).

Many thanks for your support. I'm looking forward to more impressive tools from the MP development team. Really good work.

Thanks
    Harald

yes, correct.
    If a NAS runs Samba, then i won't get the same events as for a Windows based server.
    I will try to make it work on my side with a newer Samba version.

Let's hope that your TerraStation is then using a newer Samba as well, otherwise you have no chance to get it work.
    Then the only way is using the Share View for accessing newly copied music and do a rescan of the share from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom