[Music] Music "sort by" AlbumArtist (1 Viewer)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
OK, having had this request in for years I tried downloading Kodi (XBMC).This works first time out the box for correct music sorting. Ie viewing album, sort by artist, second sort by album name. This means "albumname disc 1" is followed by "albumname disc 2" for a given artist. It also means all the various artists albums are listed under "V" and these are also in disc order Disc1, Disc2, Disc3 etc. Its not much to ask and a FUNDAMENTAL part of a media centre software. Sort how you would have your CDs sorted on a shelf.

frustrated and disappointed with MP.....

mo418

Portal Member
March 13, 2014
Home Country
Canada Canada
Spending time looking for info on the wiki and on Google is something I had to do a lot to use mediaportal. So yes, I did have a look at this. Though, it's been a while. I imported music and had a lot of issues so I continued using windows media center at the time.

I mainly switched to Kodi for the ease of use and configuration.

I gave the chance to mediaportal 2, and really like the path they're going for the ease of use. Lot less complicated than MP1. Though, some GUI issues and no french scrapers for movies and series kept me away from it at the moment.

I like MP so I'll probably switch to MP back again when it will be more mature.

Oh and btw, I have issues with music in Kodi too. Nothing is perfect. My library is perfectly tag and there are problems with multiple artist. When 2 (or more artists) collaborate on a song, Kodi creates a new artist value, combining all the collaborators!

For example,

Artist A feat. artist B - Song X gives in library

-Artist A
-Artist B
-Artist A; ArtistB

This is annoying. From web research it comes from idv3 tags with the use of separator. I think I had the same issue with MP back in the days.

Anyway, I'll reinstall MP2 on a secondary PC and give it another shot.[DOUBLEPOST=1442940915][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there a way to get similar options as in your snapshot, but in MP2?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mo418 ,

1. If you have issues with Kodi you may want to ask your question in their forum
    2. If you would like answers ref MP2 , then I suggest to ask a similar question in the respective MP2 section.

mo418

Portal Member
    March 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    1. Yes this is already done. It is a known issue, and developpers are working on this. I think idv2.4 rules out this problem, but I don't want to change tag version in my library yet (for compatibility).

2. Yeah sorry, forgot that I was in the MP1 forum.

Regards

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you guys ever bother to take a look at the Wiki? Music display can be sorted any way you like - as long as you put yourself into database view:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/3_Music/5_Music_Views

Hi,

Please read my original post number one in this thread. The issue is you cannot view in albumview, sorted by artist and have disc 1 and 2 in correct order. Eg you need a secondary sort on album name after artist sort:

In albumview:
    artist a album a
    artist b album a disc1
    artist b album a disc 2
    artist b album b
    Various artists Now that's what I call music disc 1
    Various artists Now that's what I call music disc 2
    Various artists R&B disc 1
    Various artists R&B disc 2
    Artist w album a

various artist should all be listed under v, but sorted by album name within that artist

MP cannot guarantee sorting album names within a given artist in album view

Cheers,
    Colin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @sleepycol

The issue is you cannot view in albumview, sorted by artist and have disc 1 and 2 in correct order. Eg you need a secondary sort on album name after artist sort:
    What you've said appears to be true. What I don't understand is why you would want to do this in album view. In particular: if you want the sorting that you described in your example, why do you not use the standard "album artists" or "album artists (index)" views? Is the reason that you want to see all albums from all artists at the top level?

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've asked for this view and sorting order for MP1 first time in 2008. -> Link
    Because the lack of devs, i think in MP1 it never will be released. In MP2 it will come for sure after the update of the MIA rework -> Link (Point 6).

Attachments

• 105298_albuminterpret[1].jpg
      105298_albuminterpret[1].jpg
      181.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To respond directly to what you said in your first post...
    Please, please please could you add the option to sort by album artist in album listing. This will allow MP to have all albums by various artists sorted together. See attached screen grab for where it needs adding.
    For me, all various artist albums are already grouped together in album view. If this doesn't work for you then perhaps your music is not tagged correctly.

Also add a secondary sort on album name so that ....disc 1 and ....disc 2 are always in correct sort order.
    This is the thing that I agree MP doesn't appear to support currently. The order of albums for an artist appears to be random.

In my opinion the view isn't intended to work the way you want. This is pretty clear from the name and the fact that the default album sort (within album view) is name. The album artist views are intended to provide the hierarchy you appear to be asking for. As per my previous post: I guess the only reason to want to use album view in the way you described is if you want to see all albums for all artists at the same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom