My Alarm V2 (3 Viewers)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had a quick look into it - please open up your volume mixer, and watch it while "testing" volume in the config for the alarm plugin.

This works here - therefore I'm not convinced that the volume setting change _causes_ this (maybe it triggered an error though).

There are serveral "dirty" sections in the alarm plugin code which cause exceptions here and some hardcoded stuff like paths etc...

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    rtv said:
    I had a quick look into it - please open up your volume mixer, and watch it while "testing" volume in the config for the alarm plugin.

This works here - therefore I'm not convinced that the volume setting change _causes_ this (maybe it triggered an error though).

There are serveral "dirty" sections in the alarm plugin code which cause exceptions here and some hardcoded stuff like paths etc...

So the my alarm code works on your computer?

I put in the 'dirty' code - the hardcoded path is simply a path to a known sound file in windows. It does check to see if that file exists before playing it so any exception there will be caught. Can you tell me how you raised any other exceptions?

I pointed the bug to your change because when I wrote and tested that code, it was working fine, and your changes have been the only changes to the volumehandler code since. It could well be my code, but seeing as it was working fine before, I assumed it would be something related to the VolumeHandler class.

Sam

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assumed it would be something related to the VolumeHandler class.

I'll check the alarm-plugin, too.

The relevant change to the mixer is just one line where a static MixerControlledComponent was substituted by a case-selection..

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since I'll not have the time to check the alarm plugin I reverted the mixer config option. Report back if your bugs doesn't rise anymore..

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bram said:
    MyAlarm still isn't working for me. I get the same exception as before.

Can you tell us what sort of sound card configuration you have? Also, can you tell us which sound card you have set as active (Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> wave output).

Sam

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have a onboard SoundMAX soudcard which is disabled in the bios. I was using it when I first installed MP on a fresh Windows installation (about two months ago), but I use a Creative SB Live! 1024 now. This is naturaly (being the only soundcard that's working) also the default soundcard selected in the Sounds & Audio devices section.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Seems pretty normal - unless Creative has done something funny.

Can you increase and decrease volume from within MP using the MP keys (- to decrease, = to increase)?

Sam

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm terrebly sorry. I found out what the problem was.... :oops:
    I'm using RDP in console mode. Which allows me to do allmost all administrative tasks on my HTPC from my workstation. Sound is brought my workstation too...so I was asuming the drivers would be loaded. This isn't exactly the case. It seems like Windows uses some other (universal and sound-compressing) driver when using RDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom