Completed My Aluminium case (1 Viewer)

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Stéphane Lenclud: Yes, a few screw holes I made after I got the parts. This was done to fit the optimal place for some components (amplifier, stepup-regulator etc).

The feet are from the same company where your case is from - Lian Li (Part-No. SD-01A). Their cases are really (y) . I have 2 PCs and one Media-Server which all are all built with Lian Li cases (3x PC-6070B).

As you already said, the front panel designer can only make flat designs, therefore I did the PDF, because they offered also to bend a front panel, which led me to the idea to use this for the top and bottom cover.

The case was very expensive for sure, but my last MediaCenter served me for more than 8 years.

@Atomic7431: Thank you for the compliments. My big hope is, that the 3D printers will be able to print aluminium and other metals in the near future. Just think of the idea to print such a case at home. I think this will really bring us revolutionary things in the future.
    That's what I'm really looking torward to. :)

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm now contemplating having the Front Panel from that PC-C60 redesigned. I had a closer look at it last night and it sounds like something one could do with Front Panel Designer. It looks fairly easy to remove as 7 screws are holding it to the chassis main frame.
    It will need bending though. By the way I'm most impressed with your math skills Marcus. How did you work out that your "Deckenplatte" should be 494.64 mm wide. I'm guessing there is some clever formula behind that involving the radius of the bend. Do you mind educating me on that?

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's a bit complicated, but I have made a drawing for you to explain how it works:
    (Click on the Image to expand it)

CoverLengthCalculation.jpg

And I added it also as PDF. It's not so easy to explain, but I hope this drawing is clear enough.

Attachments

• CoverLengthCalculation.pdf
      222 KB
    Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Cool stuff. Fairly simply actually. Can I ask which tool you are using to produce those drawings and PDFs?

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Adobe Illustrator - I have a license through my work.
    If you need a free alternative I can recommend InkScape: http://inkscape.org/
    This is the tool I used to create the hpgl file for the MediaPortal logo on my front panel, as Adobe Illustrator can't save in hpgl format.

Last edited:

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is classy. Very good design and I love the idea of the integrated amp. I didn't knew that Schaeffer also do bend jobs. Thanks for sharing this information.
    I used Schaeffer in 2008 for my diy-case for the frontplate and the top. So for all DIY-ers you can strip an old case and retrofit it to your own design by means of the Schaeffer service. It's then much cheaper. Mine costs 150 Euro.

Again, Marcus Venturi ( btw. are you a descendant of the Italian physicist?), very clean design and awesome work. Inspired.
    If you like to have some ideas on a passive system, please find my diy-enclosure and htpc project here. Will keep an eye on yers. ;)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/gigabyte-ga-ma78-s2h-passive-and-diy-enclosure.35380/

cheers
    ieb

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Really impressive! (y)

Stripping down an existing case is a good idea and saves a lot of money. And the result is really impressive, especially the cooling ribs on both sides. And the blue display is in perfect harmony with the blue illumination of the power button, which looks somehow familiar. ;)

The funny thing about that button is the fact, that it isn't sold as a "design"- button, but as a vandalism safe button. :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps I will replace my red power button on the left also with a blue one. :)

My father is indeed italian, therefore I grew up with 2 languages, but I don't know if we are somehow related to Giovanni Battista Venturi.

Last edited:

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Un italiano, che lavora nella Francia?

Come sta scritto:
    He was ordained as a priest in 1769

Padre di... ? o_O

:ROFLMAO: