Completed My ASUS Pundit-R HTPC (1 Viewer)

Pingus

Portal Member
February 2, 2005
Denmark
Goahead said:
Hi Miknord

You quit right in the terms of disk temp/case/memorie etc etc...

A good solution is to put one more fan extrating the air from the case (not the CPU fan)... but the case as no room for that. :(

Whats the air flow of the PowerFan? is it extrating air trough the power module or sucking air from outside?
That should help a bit lowering the temp inside the case.

A great solution shloud be puting the pc inside a fridge next to the beers 8) ... noise free and super cooled PC!!!

You didnt have any issue with the tv card?

Regards
Goahead

Hi All, I did the MikNord mod with a Papst CPU replacement and the 5v PSU config too, the PSU cooler is blowing the air OUT of the case by the way, and I must say it made a cooler case.

The problem is indeed solved, since the PSU dosen't spin up making a lot of noise since the hot air is now vaccumed out by the reversed CPU-fan so the PSU is now operating ssssiiiiilllleeennnnttt !

I'm :D

M

miknord

Goahead:

The case is indeed small inside. Too small to be able to make good mods
in my opinion, but it's not impossible to silence it. :)

Your right about the fridge, only problem are the long cables :lol:

The power fan is a Zalman OP1 set at 5V. Don't know the exact airflow
on that one. It's an exhaust fan (blowing out).

Two things about the TV card:
- This baby gets really warm!
- It's a tight fit in the Pundit.

The TV card by itself generate a lot of heat, and coming to think of it
it's really nice to have a cool case with that heatsource around.
(Or it could be overheaten too.)

/Mikael

A

Anonymous

Hi

I see on forum that theres people with two PVR150 inside Pundit-R...I can imagine the eat on all that!!! :wink:

I didnt make any change to mine since i dont pull all the "horses" from it.
The only thing i ear, is my old 4gb harddisk spinning and writing data! very loud!!! I have no money now for a new one...TV card first :D

I have been watching some divx and my P4@3.0ghz doesnt get that hot...well the cpu fan is also always in low rotation!...Memorie gets a litle hot but i think its also normal.
But we are talking about TV,divx, mp3 etc... not playing any games yet.

Im trying to find one PVR-150MCE in one online shop with low price for europe but no luck yet :(

Best Regards
Goahead

Y

ymerguer

Two 2.5"-disks AND optical unit in Pundit-R?

First of all, thanks for the great "silent-mod" from Mikael (miknord)!

I hope it will really make a difference in the noise-level when I receive my Pundit-R on monday!

I have been thinking about something for a while now, regarding the Pundit-R and 2.5"-disks.

The challenge is as follows:
- The 3.5"-disks generate a lot more heat and noise, so I want to go for 2.5"-disk(s).
- But at the same time I'm going to record a lot of movies and such, which takes up a lot of space on my drives.
- 2.5"-disks of large capacity_are_expensive, and tops out at around 100 GB these days (120 being on the way to market but being far too expensive to even think about).

So what I will try to do, is to insert two 2.5"-disks in my Pundit-R.
I don't know if it will work, but it says in reviews that the Pundit-R has two disk controllers: The IDE-controller for two IDE-units, and the other is a IDE-controller-converted to SATA.
So hopefully I can insert one 2.5"-IDE disk, one optical IDE-unit AND one 2.5" SATA-disk.

If this works I will still (hopefully) have a fairly silent case but with two separate disks for more total storage space (can hopefully improve performance as well, during for instance recording).

Have anyone tried this yet? Haven't found anyone yet, but if someone knows please tell me about it.

Pingus

Portal Member
February 2, 2005
Denmark
Re: Two 2.5"-disks AND optical unit in Pundit-R?

ymerguer said:
First of all, thanks for the great "silent-mod" from Mikael (miknord)!

Haven't tried it but I just saw your signature:

____
Regards S.H.E. -
Pundit-R, P4 2.4Ghz, 2x256Mb PC3200, Samsung 2.5" 80 GB IDE (x2?), NEC DVD-RW, PVR500MCE, 3Com Wireless PCMCIA
____

The question I would like to ask is how you made the PVR500MCE fit into the Pundit-R, since we have seen other posts regarding the Pundit-R where others told there was no room for such a card in a Pundit-R ?

Picture perhaps ??

Y

ymerguer

Hi,

I actually found the answer to that problem in another string in this forum.

Just search for "pundit-r" and "pvr500", and you'll probably find it (I'm on my laptop with bad battery at the moment, else I would have found the links for u).

I can tell u the solution straight away, but it's from that other string, since I haven't received my Pundit-R yet (but have all the parts lying ready):

The guy who managed to get the PVR-500 into the Pundit-R had to mod the CPU-fans vent-shaft to get the card fitted.
There was'nt any pictures of it, but I can post some as soon as I get my hands on the Pundit-R next week.
I expect he had to cut some of it out.

He also mentioned that one has to use the topmost PCI-port for such a card (as the other will conflict with the actual CPU-cooler).

Hope this is helpful.

I will apply the mods mentioned in the beginning of this tread (by miknord), and in the process I'll make room for the PVR-500 (custom-build a new vent-shaft so it will fit).

Pingus

Portal Member
February 2, 2005
Denmark
I will be waiting right here for your posts/pictures to this thread ...

I also did some of the mods to my Pundit-R, 5v PSU fan and reversed pabst CPU fan, but I had to re-reverse the CPU fan again since the CPU temp. got in the wrong side of 65 degrease C, with random lock-ups, but again I might have been unlucky.

Using a 2.5 inch HD i a VERY good idea, since my 3.5 inch Maxtor is generating a LOT of heat, and thats why the mod was a bit on the downside here.

Happy modding :)

Y

ymerguer

I have just received my Pundit-R, one hour ago!

So now I'll just have to find time to do the modding...

But I can try to do the 2.5"-disk thing today.

Pingus

Portal Member
February 2, 2005
Denmark
ymerguer said:

So now I'll just have to find time to do the modding...

And time to take a picture of the PVR-500MCE in the box and post it here :)

Y

ymerguer

The annoyance of delays...

Argh!

Just got the news that my PVR500 will be delayed from the webshop I ordered it from! :(

So then I'll have to do the 2.5"-disk thing first, and just bide my time with the other project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom