My Choice of Skin for Slow PC

Discussion in 'Frames' started by Bernard, July 11, 2013.

1. Bernard

Bernard Portal Pro

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Home Country:
    South Africa South Africa
    Show System Specs
    I have tried all the major skins on my very slow (1.6Ghz AMD Turion) laptop, and this skin performs a lot better than the other options.

I have grown tired of waiting for the Titan Skin to respond when using MePo on my old laptop in the bedroom. So I installed all the skins that was compatible with 1.4.0 and tried each. This one seems to have the least dynamic content that load while you navigate the menu's.

The only thing I need to still get rid of is the fanart background that loads when you select a movie in the movie list. It is fine that it loads on the "details" page, but the loading that happen when you change from one movie selection to the next is lagging.

In my quest to improve the performance on this client/laptop I have also disabled all the plugins that is not required to view series and movies. (I use one MP-TVSeries and Moving Pictures).

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this fanart background on the movie list screen (but not on the details screen)? I can probably hack it out of the skin files, but it would be best if I can stick with the standard files to facilitate upgrades...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ltfearme
    • Premium Supporter

ltfearme Community Plugin Dev

Software Test Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5,385 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    There are some defines that can be set in the skin MovingPictures.xml file, if they are not already there you can enable/disable backdrops per layout/view e.g.

Code (Text):
    2. <define>#largeicons.available:true</define>
    3. <define>#largeicons.backdrop.used:true</define>
    4. <define>#smallicons.available:true</define>
    5. <define>#smallicons.backdrop.used:true</define>
    6. <define>#list.available:true</define>
    7. <define>#list.backdrop.used:true</define>
    8. <define>#filmstrip.available:true</define>
    9. <define>#filmstrip.backdrop.used:true</define>
    10. <define>#coverflow.available:true</define>
    11. <define>#coverflow.backdrop.used:true</define>
    12. <define>#categories.backdrop.used:true</define>
    13. <define>#details.backdrop.used:true</define>
    In your case you would set everything to false except for details.backdrop.used.

Last edited: July 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Lbr_Lion

Lbr_Lion Extension Designer

Ratings:
    +204 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    I don't know or you did find the option to disable all fanart, but it is located under Settings-->GUI-->Skin-->Disable All Fanart.

This option will disable also fanart in detail screens, but maybe I can extend this option with a possibility to keep fanart for detail screens only.

5. Bernard

Bernard Portal Pro

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Thanks! This worked! And now the list is much more responsive for movie browsing.
    Edit: Ok, I edited the skinfiles and that worked. But I like the "settings" option more because it will stay after upgrades.

Last edited: July 16, 2013
  6. Lbr_Lion

Lbr_Lion Extension Designer

Ratings:
    +204 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Please see the attached file if you want to keep fanart in detail view when all fanart is disbled. (Will probably add it also to the next update)

Attached Files:

7. Bernard

Bernard Portal Pro

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Thanks, this is what I was looking for! But feel stupid that I didn't even look there in the first place! For now I don't mind that all the fanart is off. But i would think that having fanart in the details is ok, Since I already found what I was looking for And then Would enjoy the added graphics experience.

I think the Answer would Depend On why users Would use The option. In My case i Want speed. But for a modern PC. The option may be used because someone don'T like the large photo Backgrounds.

I did notice That when i edit The skinfiles, a placeholder Image Is used, And if i use the option, the Background is using the general gray Skin background.

PS. This forum Does not play Nice With My Samsung Tab2, it capatalise random letters! :mad:[DOUBLEPOST=1373999890][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks!

8. Bernard

Bernard Portal Pro

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I tested the skin update and it works very well!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!