My films: just view-related searches? (1 Viewer)

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
December 31, 2011
I love the possibility to perform movie-related searches such as other movies from this director, other movies with a given actor from the current movie and so on. But I miss the possibility to search within my whole movies database: it seems that these searches can be done just within the view I'm currently in (in my case, the custom view "new movies", which usually has no more than 30 movies). For any of such searches to make sense, I must swich to the "all movies" view. Am I doing something wrong or is there really no way around?

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    I love the possibility to perform movie-related searches such as other movies from this director, other movies with a given actor from the current movie and so on. But I miss the possibility to search within my whole movies database: it seems that these searches can be done just within the view I'm currently in (in my case, the custom view "new movies", which usually has no more than 30 movies). For any of such searches to make sense, I must swich to the "all movies" view. Am I doing something wrong or is there really no way around?
    Hi tano_grasa,
    it should work as you said - the context related search should show results from your whole catalog, not only from the view where you are.
    (There is one exception: If you created a config with a filter condition, this filter condition will be always active for that config.)
    So if this is not working, it might be a bug - then please give us a more detailed description for such a case and include logs for it, it is an easy fix.

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Hi Guzzi,

thanks for the quick reply. Let me ask a silly question: how do I generate a log, given that MyFilms is a plugin and MP starts in debug mode with no external plugin?

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi Guzzi,

thanks for the quick reply. Let me ask a silly question: how do I generate a log, given that MyFilms is a plugin and MP starts in debug mode with no external plugin?
    Hi, you should just change the logging to "debug", so it is in more detailed log level. MyFilms will also use that setting - so you'll use MP including plugins as before - just more details will be logged to the log files.
    Also see here for details...

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Hi Guzzi,
    I hope the attached log can explain the strange behaviour I'm experiencing. Anyway, this is what I have done after starting MP in debug mode:
    1. Select a movie on the custom start view "New movies"
    2. Perform the context related search "Search related films by person" -> "[actor's name]" -> 4 movies found -> only the currently selected movie is shown
    3. Perform the context related search "Search related films by fields" -> "Actors" -> "[actor's name]" -> 4 movies found -> behaviour as expected (4 movies found and shown)
    4. Perform the context related search "Search related films by person" ->[director's name]" -> 2 movies found -> behaviour as expected (2 movies found and shown)

I'm not abosultely sure these are the actions I performed (please see the log), but one thing is clear: the first context related search didn't work as expected, the other ones did.

Thank you very much for your help.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi, thanks for report and logs.
    I have seen in the logs, you're using MyFilms V5.1. I just checked the context search on persons with latest MyFilms version and it works fine there.
    So unless there is a major reason against it, you might think about upgrading to MyFilms V6.

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Hi Guzzi,
    there are two reasons why I don't use MyFilms 6:
    1. I wasn't able to find an option to give fanarts that "bluish" tonality found in MF 5.1 by default. Fanarts are viewed with their natural colors. If colors are dark, this worsens legibility and overall look.
    2. Movie covers are smaller than in V5.1. This is probably due to the amount of information below them.

This said, when I installed V6 to give it a try, context search didn't work either. On the other side, it works fine with V5.1 installed on my desktop PC (not the HTPC).

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi Guzzi,
    1. I wasn't able to find an option to give fanarts that "bluish" tonality found in MF 5.1 by default. Fanarts are viewed with their natural colors. If colors are dark, this worsens legibility and overall look.
    2. Movie covers are smaller than in V5.1. This is probably due to the amount of information below them.
    both is related to skin changes - which of course doesn't help you, unless you're willing to start modifying skins yourself....

This said, when I installed V6 to give it a try, context search didn't work either.
    "didn't work" - you mean it didn't show full results?
    Which V6 version did you use - need logs to see that, as I know, I made some fixes in that area in teh past...
    On the other side, it works fine with V5.1 installed on my desktop PC (not the HTPC).
    If that is the case, there might be a special circumstance on your HTPC that caused that behavior to appear. I can't provide fixes for V5.x anymore, sorry - but if you provide debug logs of that situation, I can have a look, maybe there is a hint what you could change to fix it or workaround it (logs above did not include debug entries for myfilms, you probably need to restart PC so it is effective).

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    As Guzzi said above the skin files in MF 6 match the new Default Skin style. Could you post a screenshot just to be sure? Then I may be able to help you modify it how you wish.

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    @ Guzzi:
    I'm now able to provide more information about the strange behaviour described, sorry that I didn't do it before. With V5.1, "Search related films by person" doesn't work, that is, the related number of movies is shown, but movies themselves are not shown. I mean, the resulting list includes just one movie, i.e. the one I started the search with (and yes, I'm sure there must be more). "Search related films by fields" works as intended and I'm able to see a list of related movies as a result. Anyway, I can live with it. I think it is better to leave it so as it is, instead of start searching which option(s) could be causing this behaviour on my HTPC. Thanks anyway for your help.

@ Dadeo:
    Please find attached some screenshots from V5.1 and V6. By the way, is there any way to make movie covers appear as big as with version 5.1? After all, it seems not to be related with the amount of information below the cover.

Attachments

• Screenshots.zip
      3.8 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom