My manual on how to update an Alphacrypt cam with DVB-C (1 Viewer)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hint: Installing windows 98 SE and then running the update would take less time :D

Yes, this was my thought afterwards. Maybe I will even do this... but it might be possible that it doesn't support my laptops hardware. I still have to evaluate what to do ;).

-level20peon

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hint: Installing windows 98 SE and then running the update would take less time :D

Yes, this was my thought afterwards. Maybe I will even do this... but it might be possible that it doesn't support my laptops hardware. I still have to evaluate what to do ;).

-level20peon
    I would recommend to do it.
    it would probably solve the problem you have in your signature with 7 channel audio :D

Which version do you have now.. if it is 3.12 it is even worse then 3.08 or 3.09 :)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have Version 1.09 installed on my Alphacrypt Light (As far as I can see in my FloppyDTV CI-App). The driver seems to have Version numbers 3.xx for Alphacrypt Classic and 1.xx for the Light version. The update is called "Update 3.14" in both cases so I conclude I have 3.09 installed right now (never updated before).

I couldn't solve the multichannel audio problem until now but I don't start every day installing the latest SVN either so maybe it is gone by now by incident :) ... I currently have problems with random "channel is scrambled" errors which is primarily why I wanted to update the CAM.

Let's see what the future holds...

-level20peon

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have Version 1.09 installed on my Alphacrypt Light (As far as I can see in my FloppyDTV CI-App). The driver seems to have Version numbers 3.xx for Alphacrypt Classic and 1.xx for the Light version. The update is called "Update 3.14" in both cases so I conclude I have 3.09 installed right now (never updated before).

I couldn't solve the multichannel audio problem until now but I don't start every day installing the latest SVN either so maybe it is gone by now by incident :) ... I currently have problems with random "channel is scrambled" errors which is primarily why I wanted to update the CAM.

Let's see what the future holds...

-level20peon
    it probably will solve your channel is scrambled errors, as it did with me .. had the problem also.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Probably... I tried Windows 98 SE, Windows XP SP1 / SP2 / SP3, Windows 2000 and Windows Millenium today. Except for refreshing my knowlege about boot-CD's this whole day was a total waste of time.

-level20peon

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Probably... I tried Windows 98 SE, Windows XP SP1 / SP2 / SP3, Windows 2000 and Windows Millenium today. Except for refreshing my knowlege about boot-CD's this whole day was a total waste of time.

-level20peon

well .. you could drive to my house.. get some coffee while I update your cam(s) :D maybe thats a bit faster
    I live close to the border anyway

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is very kind. I live in Aachen so this would be not a problem.

I just spent two hours with my neighbour who is a very skilled software developer. He tested this on his laptop without success. He develops drivers for example, himself and he said that the bunch of crap MASCOM has published to be "drivers" alone are a total disaster (Not to mention the documentation or the Flash-software itself).

Maybe you could provide me with a way to contact you personally.

-level20peon

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This is very kind. I live in Aachen so this would be not a problem.

I just spent two hours with my neighbour who is a very skilled software developer. He tested this on his laptop without success. He develops drivers for example, himself and he said that the bunch of crap MASCOM has published to be "drivers" alone are a total disaster (Not to mention the documentation or the Flash-software itself).

Maybe you could provide me with a way to contact you personally.

-level20peon

I live close to Roermond, so I guess around 50KM...

you can Private message me ofcourse if you want to have it updated..

cheers

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    May 28, 2006
    Den Bosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Could you tell me if I can update the CAM on a Vista Laptop?
    drives are not for Vista

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just try it (If it doesn't work nothing will happen / be damaged) ? Even if drivers work it will most probably not work even if you were using XP. The update only works with a legacy PCMCIA interface (16-bit) which most laptops don't have. There are external 16-bit modules but they cost around 80€ which is not worth it in my oppinion.

-level20peon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom