My MP won't play (or at least won't play correctly) my TrueHD films (1 Viewer)

iyuvalk

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi,

I have a few TrueHD films in mkv format that when I try to play them they would either won't play at all (the MP appears to be 'stuck') or would play very slowly with no sound at all. I tried switching between various codecs (I tried so many different codecs configuration so that I'm not sure which one caused each result but I'll try it once more at the end of this week and let you know how it went) The only thing that was close to success was that a specific codecs configuration made these films play but at a very low sound quality (normally, when I play an HD film the LCD screen on my Yamaha AV receiver reads "DTS" and when I use this codecs configuration it displayed "PCM" for every film I tried)

Is it possible to make those TrueHD fillms play properly without making all the other films play as PCM?

Tnx,
Yuval.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is definitely possible.
    Personally I use ffdshow audio decoder for this but it should also be possible with LAV Audio decoder (you need to check TrueHD passthrough in their config). One thing: You have to use LAV Splitter and not Haali Splitter to get HD audio working.

iyuvalk

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi,

I'm not sure that my Yamaha HTR-3063 AV Receiver supports TrueHD, Does the fact that I don't see here (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-3063_black__u/?mode=model) the word TrueHD anywhere means that it won't be supported and that I cannot set the TrueHD passthrough? If so, what should I set so that DTS audio will be sent to the receiver as is while TrueHD will be converted to DTS or PCM (if there's no better choice)

T.I.A,
    Yuval.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes.. seems like your receiver does not support TrueHD.
    I would try to use LAV Audio decoder and set passthrough for DTS and AC3 (Dolby Digital). TrueHD should then be played as Dolby Digital (I hope).

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I think you should be fine using LAV Audio Decoder & LAV Splitter.

In LAV Audio Decoder you need to check two checkboxes in "Bitstreaming (S/PDIF,HDMI)"

- Dolby Digital (AC-3)
    - DTS

In this section nothing else should be checked unless your receiver supports other formats.

iyuvalk

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I'll cross my fingers, try and let you know (I'm currently at work but I'll try your suggestion as soon as I get home in about 9 hours from now).

TNX,
    Yuval.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Does the fact that I don't see here (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-3063_black__u/?mode=model) the word TrueHD anywhere means that it won't be supported and that I cannot set the TrueHD passthrough?
    Yes, that means your AVR can't playback TrueHD Audio. Same with DTS-HD, this can also not be played...
    Please use LAV Audio Codec with those settings so "normal" Digital sources are bitstreamed and those HD formats will be using the "core" 5.1 streams:
    lavf.jpg

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I can only tell you how I get around this.
    1. I disabled all "bitstreaming" in LAV Audio
    2. I use the "MediaPortal AudioRenderer" as "Audio Renderer". In it's options I select:
      - Speaker Setup "5.1 Surround"
      - AC3 Encoding Mode: Auto
    This means that the MediaPortal AudioRenderer encodes 5.1 audio to an 5.1 DolbyDigital (AC3) stream and sends that to my receiver.
    Yes, yes "less quality" *jadda, jadda* - but that way I get smooth video, and surround sound with channels in the right order, to my AV-Receiver.

I am using exacty that here and I am _very_ happy with the result. ;)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Hi.
    Does the fact that I don't see here (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-3063_black__u/?mode=model) the word TrueHD anywhere means that it won't be supported and that I cannot set the TrueHD passthrough?
    Yes, that means your AVR can't playback TrueHD Audio. Same with DTS-HD, this can also not be played...
    Please use LAV Audio Codec with those settings so "normal" Digital sources are bitstreamed and those HD formats will be using the "core" 5.1 streams:
    View attachment 114398
    Exactly as Lehmden post.

Last edited:

iyuvalk

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi everyone,

I tried switching to LAV Audio decoder and checked the Bitstreaming (S/PDIF, HDMI) options (Dolby Digital AC-3 and DTS) and the result was even wierder (at least to a newbe like me...): My TrueHD film played slooooly (frame by frame) with no sound at all and my DTS films played with no sound at all too and the LCD display on my AV receiver flickered (although it displayed "DTS") and as I said - no sound at all. However, I could play my old Dolby-Digital films just fine (although the receiver LCD reads "PCM" but the sound was good enough for *my* ears \: )

I tried switching to ffdshow and it was just the same. The only configuration that seems to work was Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder. When I switched to that filter my Dolby-Digital films played successfully and smoothly and the AV receiver's LCD displayed "Dolby-Digital" and my DTS films also played successfully and smoothly and the AV receiver's LCD displayed "DTS" but only the TrueHD films couldn't play at all.. ):

Any other ideas/thoughts?
    A note for infinite.loop: Your suggestion will obviously be my last resort if nothing else would work I'll have to settle for this. Thanks anyway...

P.S
    Is there a way to attach subtitles (as is .srt/.sub files) to a BDMV folder? I know that for mkv/avi/mpg files, all I had to do was to save the subtitles by the same name with the original extension but now I have some films that are saved as BDMV folder structure that contain many files. I tried to save the subtitles as index.srt/sub and it didn't work. I read somewhere on the net that I would have to convert them to a new file that either contains the subtitles as part of the film or that is in a format that will allow me to attach a subtitles file. Is there no easier way to do that?

TNX,
    Yuval.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom