• Total voters

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
June 19, 2007
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
NEW TEST VERSION
Just uploaded a new dll to google-code for testing. It has the new parsing algorithm which should be faster, and will deal with _'s and with more than one artist in a video. e.g for video "Elton John & George Michael - Blah Blah Blah" you will have the song blah blah blah under both Elton John and George Michael. The new algorithm specifically expects filenames to be in the form artist - title

If some people can test and let me know any issues.

http://mp-musicvids.googlecode.com/files/Music Videos.dll

Hi Justus...
nine_inch_nails-closer_(uncensored)-dvdrip-xvid-1994-lcf.avi
As my code stands now that would become nine inch nails-closer (uncensored)-dvdrip-xvid-1994-lcf.avi, now the code could decide that the band was called nine inch nails by the placement of the first '-'. however that would break, for example, static-x who would become only static. As a default the code assumes a seperator of ' - ' (notice the spaces either side. This works for most people. As I download files, I rename them to a decent convention, makes it a quick simple task.

In your case, I would use the new parsing algorithm when it is released. All the files it cannot pick up, will be marked. The config window allows you to rename files very simply, by clicking on them in the parsing test window, and changing the filename. I dont mean to be a dick about this, but the amount of time I spend coding a way for you to parse your files, will be significantly more than the time you would spend changing the filenames.

Until someone comes up with a system to apply tags to videos in a common way, this is going to be difficult. There seems to be a standard convention among videos, of the simple "artist - title", which is very easy to work with. Ive gone through and done it to all my videos, all 600 of them, and it doesnt take that long

JustusIV

Portal Pro
April 16, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
after reading both replies, personally i would just hack off everything after the scond "-" yes it would break Static-X and similiar, but would fix 99% of the other problems. Just checked a music DB and there arent to many with "-" in there name.
So "nine_inch_nails-closer_(uncensored)-dvdrip-xvid-1994-lcf.avi"
would turn into "nine inch nails-closer (uncensored)-dvdrip-xvid-1994-lcf.avi"
after second "-" is gone "nine inch nails-closer (uncensored)"
and to me artist = "nine inch nails"
and title = closer (uncensored)
The thing about these are the titles dont have to match anything online. the only info is pulled from the band. So title doesnt really matter.

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
June 19, 2007
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I personally, and many others, have taken the time to fix our filenames so that we dont have to repair names like static-x, and they work well because we have ' - ',

I have put a poll on front page to gauge how people's files are named

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
April 17, 2007
Home Country
I personally, and many others, have taken the time to fix our filenames so that we dont have to repair names like static-x, and they work well because we have ' - ',

I have put a poll on front page to gauge how people's files are named
no offence to the guys asking for different parsing expressions but just spend the time and change your file names and let metalla_nz get on with continuing to code the plugin, time wasted trying to find a fix for something that you can fix yourselves is time taken away from implementing more features and squashing bugs.
Let's not forget that metalla_nz is doing this for free and in his/her spare time, if this becomes a pain in the arse it is likely this plugin will die like so many before it, and I really like and use this plugin a lot!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a thought to ponder;

Some artists have a hyphen (-) in their name eg. T-Pain
    So some music videos have the format "T-Pain & Chris Brown - Kiss Kiss.avi"
    Does the plugin use "-" to seperate artist / song title or does it use " - "?

What is the best way to handle this, obviously if you use " - " then it wont correctly parse a song like "Smashing_Pumpkins-Tonight_Tonight.avi"

My opinion would be the plugin should use " - " rather than "-".
    Alternatively a more complicated way is to use " - ", but if their is no " - " detected then use the first "-" detected in the filename string

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
    June 19, 2007
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It currently uses whatever you tell it to based on the parsing expression, but it kind of defaults to " - ", so that artists like static-x t-pain etc get parsed correctly. It will work for Smashing_Pumpkins-Tonight_Tonight.avi if you set up the parsing expression as %artist%-%title%.%ext%, but that expression will get applied top the whole folder, so if some of the files in there are artist-title and some are artist - title it will error on the ones that dont match. The new parsing algorithm test only uses " - " as a seperator between artist and title, and imports songs where there are two artists. I may implement the more complicated way you suggested, which is reasonably simple to achieve for v0.42

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    not sure if that is necessary, i think " - " is good

Tried the new music videos.dll
    "New Parser" was selected in settings
    Prased the file called "Tiki Tane & P Diggs - Faded.mkv"
    Asked me to choose an artist from last.fm to match "Tiki Tane & P Diggs", I choose Tiki Tane.
    When i view the database the file is listed under Tiki Tane only, no entry for P Diggs.

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
    June 19, 2007
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ill look into it, I tested it and it worked so Ill see what the issue could be.

Edit: actually just confirm you had removed your old watch folder, and then re-added it and had selected new parser?

jinxy_tj

Portal Member
    November 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I am having problems when trying to config music vids. It keeps crashing the MP config utility. It does this when I scan to the database my music videos. It had worked with the same set of videos on the previous version, but I am now using MP 1.1 and have this same problem every time. I have added the new dll file.

Great development of this plugin tho, really will be worth its efforts

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom