My Power Control Plug-in (1 Viewer)

Kickin

Portal Member
September 15, 2007
My Power Control

hello again

I have done some more testing with my fluke to day. I have noticed 2 things:

1. If you have selected the output high, and you put the pc in S3 modus the output is low when you turn it on again but the plugin show the signal for high -> you got a mismatch there.

2. If you turn the pc complete off you will got all the outputs high. This might be an XP thing, bacause the signal is low while the pc are in bios mode and just before the XP starts up they go high.
You might have experienced this your self?

I will start building me an receiver when i got the time. I am thinking off useing an RF remote where i use relays to simulate the push of this remote. This way I can put the RF receivers where i want to whitout thinking of any cables :D

regards Kickin

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hmmm, yeah I don't use standby at all, my MediaPC runs 24x7. I will need to look at detecting when the systems comes out of standby and reseting the pins to there correct state. but the problems of startup/resume are hard to overcome if you are using triggermode.

If you can give me some ideas of how you think it would work best then I should be able to impliment the logic.

Cheers,
    mcraenz

Kickin

Portal Member
    September 15, 2007
    My Power Control

hi

If you can detecting that the pc are going into S3 sleep mode, I was thinking about resetting the bit so they had the same status in the plugin and the LPT port when resume from S3 status.

regards Kickin

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah that shouldn't be a problem, it only becomes a problem if using trigger mode. In fact using trigger mode where the PC doesn't run 24x7 is not really practical anyway so yes I will work to rest the port state upon S3 resume.

Cheers,
    mcraenz

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyone out there using this plug-in? I'm about to release a new version that will support parallel print servers as I've blogged about here. I'd really like it if anyone who is using this plug-in could do some testing before I upload a new version, reason being is that I only use a print server now and I don't have an on board parallel port so I can't tell if I've broken anything in my latest updates.

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Ray, Did you want to try out the existing parallel port version or new print server version?

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    mcraenz there is no solution for usb-parallel, right? ill like to add lpt to my laptop but i have tried one of those adaptors and does not work. i dont know if there is any usb-lpt converter that really simulate a parallel port.

printerserver seems an expensive solution for just playing around

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No usb to parallel is not possible except for maybe some very expensive devices which are specificly designed to appear to windows as real lpt port :-(

Here in NZ we have a auction site normally we can pick up old parallel print servers very cheap, about $20 ($15USD).
    For example:
    Printer Server, HP JetDirect 150x, J2592A, test for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
    Not sure if you can find something similar?

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    thanks for that replay, im lookin in ebay and found some stuff. what characteristics do i need to look for so that im sure it will work correctly and not happen like in usb-parallel type converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom