My SQL server error on installation (1 Viewer)

Shiki

May 30, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi there,

Been using windows media centre, which is working quite well for me. Just curious about this program and wanting to give it a try.

Have trouble installing Media Portal though. When it gets to the screen to test connection settings, there are 2 options up the top: microsoft sql server and MySQL. Both of them do not work when I press the Test button. It says "Connection failed! Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts" when I select the MySQL option.

When I select the microsoft sql server it says "a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to sql server."

At this point I abandon the install and uninstalled the program.

A search of this topic revealed no answers that were helpful to me.

Any help?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Any help?
    Questions like this are usually covered in the wiki install guides:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/1_Getting_Started/12_Installing_MediaPortal

What did you select at this step in the installation?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ions#Installation_Mode:_One_Click_vs_Advanced

If you selected "advanced", what did you select at this step?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...2_Advanced_Installation#Database_Server_(SQL)

Regards,
    mm

Shiki

May 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello and thank you for the response!

Yes I did do advanced setup, singleseat install (I have tv-tuner card).

Instead of putting everyting into c:\ I put it into f:\ as that is where my software goes.

At the step where it says "please select sql server you want to use" I checked MySQL5. However, after the installation failed and I removed everything.

I tried again selecting the 3rd option (sql server already present) with the same errors exactly.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I did do advanced setup, singleseat install (I have tv-tuner card).

Instead of putting everyting into c:\ I put it into f:\ as that is where my software goes.
    Okay.

At the step where it says "please select sql server you want to use" I checked MySQL5.
    Okay.

However, after the installation failed and I removed everything.
    Can you please explain how/why you think the installation failed.
    Note, it would be wrong to assume that the installation failed just because "test" didn't work. You need to ensure that the values in the fields are correct in order for "test" to work.

I tried again selecting the 3rd option (sql server already present) with the same errors exactly.
    Well, the 3rd option won't work unless you actually have an SQL server installed. It sounds like you didn't/don't, and therefore it's not surprising that test won't work.

My advice to you would be to do a complete uninstall of MediaPortal, TV Server, and MySQL.
    Then, try to install again.
    Make sure you run the installation with admin privileges (right click, run as admin).
    Do an advanced installation if that's what you prefer.
    Select the MySQL option at the SQL server selection step.
    When you get to the "setup database connection" dialog, select "My SQL 5" and try "test".
    If "test" says that the connection failed, you need to ensure that the MySQL service is actually running (check for the mysqld.exe process in task manager).
    If MySQL is running then check that your network security software (firewall(s) etc.) allow TV Server to use your network (which is required to allow TV Server to connect to MySQL, and to allow MediaPortal to connect to TV Server).
    If MySQL is not running then that is the problem that needs to be solved.

Regards,
    mm

Shiki

May 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi again, thanks for your response.

Followed your instructions.

At the prompt - I selected My SQL 5 and Test. Comes back with "connection failed! Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts."

The process mysqld.exe is not running in the task manager.

Shiki

May 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    How can I tell this?

when I type into the start button the following entries appear:
    "MySQL 5.6 command line client
    MySQL 5. command Line client - unicode"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How can I tell this?
    That depends on what version of Windows you're using.
    Before W7, MySQL should be present in the add/remove programs list in control panel.
    In W7 and later, it should be in the "programs" -> "uninstall a program" list in control panel.
    http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...l_progressive,q_80,w_636/18mkkkpfsthf5png.png

To try to start the service on W7 and later...
    Open the start menu/screen, type services.msc (in the search box for W7), press Enter.
    Find MySQL in the list. I expect status is "stopped".
    Select it, and try to start the service.
    If the service starts successfully, you should now be able to test the database connection successfully and continue with MediaPortal setup.
    If not, you'll have to figure out why MySQL won't start.

Shiki

May 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Using win7 at the moment.

Yes, MySQL Server 5.6 appears in the uninstall a program section in the control panel.

Going into services.msc - trying to activate the service - error says: Windows could not start the MySQL service on local computer. Error 1067. A google of this error seems to indicate a fault if not installing into the default directory. So, I uninstalled everything (again) and reinstall it with default settings. However the test of database still fails and the service still won't start, when default directory is used.

At this point I'm going to say thank you for your help but I might just stick with Windows Media Centre as it's too difficult to install this product. Thanks again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    At this point I'm going to say thank you for your help but I might just stick with Windows Media Centre as it's too difficult to install this product. Thanks again.
    I understand.
    Sorry you weren't able to get MediaPortal working.
    For what it's worth, MySQL is a third party product which is outside our control. When installation of MySQL doesn't work right, there's not really much we can do. Like you, we're not MySQL experts.
    Sorry again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom