[fixed] My Videos PIN protected folders in "Title View"? (1 Viewer)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I think that will not be so hard to achieve, but I think that master PIn should be read and write to the registry :), otherwise config xml can be easily edited to remove that :). Registry is little hard to mess up or access :). If kids know how to edit registry and keys there, nothing will stop them :).

What is funny, if user add new share with different name which points to the protected share, MP will not allow it's contents :) without PIN entry in share or dbview :), so it's secure.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Update patches in case of delete of protected share. But I think that Config part of patch will not go into 1.2.0 RC:), master PIN patch is more proper because this is not very secure, also it could confuse users suddenly :).

Don't know, I need higher lvl opinion.

If PIN patch for titles shows no anomalies, I will put it into 1.2.0RC SVN as bug fix, config part needs new topic and discussion.

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Deda,

Success!!:D

Working very well with the latest patch. Will give it a thorough testing over the next few days but so far so good.

Thanks for persevering with me :)

All the best,

Mick.

Yes, finally :),

it would be nice if you can add more shares with different PINs, ie. for every user it's own content, but I think it will be ok. I don't think that "Contains" string comparison for directories will fail (can't see the way how two shares can have same directory structure).

Hi Deda,

I just finished setting up and testing the following config with Patch V36.

Multiple shares as follows

\\WHSERVER\Movies
    \\WHSERVER\Kids Movies
    \\WHSERVER\Fred's Movies
    \\WHSERVER\Mick's Movies
    \\WHSERVER\Jo's Movies

The "Kids Movies" share is unprotected, "Movies" and "Mick's Movies" share a PIN. The rest have unique PINs.

All working as expected (as follows)

1. When first entering Videos, "Kids Movies" always appear.

2. Entering either the "Fred's Movies" or "Jo's Movies" PIN unlocks the unique content in each folder and adds it to the already visible "Kid's Movies".

3. Entering the "Mick's Movies"/ "Movies" PIN unlocks content in the "Mick's Movies" AND "Movies" folders and adds it to the already visible "Kid's Movies" content.

Nice one!:D

Couple of things though mate.

1. The new PIN validation is working in MP configuration. However, while I appreciate that restricting the ability to add a new folder is outside the scope of this patch is it also outside the scope to prevent a PIN protected folder from being deleted without entering the PIN? (same issue I guess).

2. Is it necessary to force PIN validation when playing an unlocked movie that's stored in a PIN protected folder due to the links with "Share View" or was this a design decision that I could persuade you to change? :D.

Hope this helps. If you'd like a log to see all this in action, just ask ;).

All the best and thanks again,

Mick.

Edit. Just seen your last patch. Guess that takes care of point 1 :). Master PIN sounds like a great idea!

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Thx for testing, I also didn't found anything wrong within database views so I will commit that part as bug fix.

Annoying PIN questioning in "share view" after play is old design flaw or it was not so easy to do that properly before.

I will investigate that and will open new bug topic if I find easy solution.

Config part is just an first aid :) and can be easily override by changing config xml on right place (at least ParanoidDelusion can confuse his kids :) ) but I think MasterPIN is valid solution for whole configuration, but also, configuration xml should be protected somehow too.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    but I think MasterPIN is valid solution for whole configuration, but also, configuration xml should be protected somehow too.

Will start a new topic on this, just to get any feelings\different opinions included.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I opened new topic in internal forum about that :).

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Annoying PIN questioning in "share view" after play is old design flaw or it was not so easy to do that properly before.

Hi Deda,

Just to be clear and to make sure I understand you correctly, I'm talking about DB views prompting for a PIN when you try to play a movie that's been unlocked.

Is this caused by the same design flaw?

Cheers,

Mick.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

Hi Deda,

Just to be clear and to make sure I understand you correctly, I'm talking about DB views prompting for a PIN when you try to play a movie that's been unlocked.

Is this caused by the same design flaw?

Cheers,

Mick.

No, it should not ask for play, just to ask, is that Image file you try to play or pure video or DVD folder?

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    It's for Images, there's another check for images lol. Bad thing that play code resides in shareview part. OK, this will need some modification there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom