MyRolodex (3 Viewers)

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
April 1, 2008
OHIO
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MyRolodex is a simple way to store and view contacts in MediaPortal using a SQL server express database. It is easily configured from the plugin setup screen and includes a load default settings which should work for most users. On initial startup of the plugin it will ask for you to create database for first time use please select yes then exit and re-enter the plugin. Now you can start entering contacts by selecting the add new contact at the bottom right of the main menu. Enter the relevant information and select save contact. Now you can click on the letter of the last name to view the contact information. If you want to view all details or edit then click on the contact and it will bring up options to view/edit or delete contact. There is also a search functionality where you can search by either first or last name or email. Also at the top right of the page you can show contacts by categories that are selected from the view/edit page or on addding new contact under select category. Please play around and Enjoy. Let me know what you think and I'll start working on more wonderful plugins.

UPDATED 1-25-10
V1.1
Added import contacts from the following webservices:
Gmail
Outlook Express
Yahoo
Hotmail
Thunderbird
Re-arranged Skin Layouts on both the main menu and view/edit screens
Added Icons thanks to STDLY who provided the icons and help with the new skin layout
Added Total contacts
Extended Zip field to allow for up to 8 characters (See *Note*)
Added Instruction manual

1/30/2010 -- Added dll file for Outlook Import. Just download and reinstall without deleteing old files and it should just add the necessary file

*Note*
To take advantage of the extended Zip field you must either manually change character length by using SQL Studio Managment and editing dbo.contacts so that the zip filed is set to 8 rather than 5. OR if you don't have to many contacts stored you can delete the database then run plugin again to create new database with the correct length fields. If anyone needs help with this please PM me.

ENJOY!!!

Attachments

• MainSetupForm.jpg
    MainSetupForm.jpg
    255.2 KB
  • ImportContactScreen.jpg
    ImportContactScreen.jpg
    232.6 KB
  • MyRolodexSelection.jpg
    MyRolodexSelection.jpg
    124.3 KB
  • MyRolodexMainMenu.jpg
    MyRolodexMainMenu.jpg
    137.4 KB
  • MyRolodexAddNewContact.jpg
    MyRolodexAddNewContact.jpg
    128.2 KB
  • MyRolodexModifyContact.jpg
    MyRolodexModifyContact.jpg
    125.8 KB
  • MyRolodexShownByCategory.jpg
    MyRolodexShownByCategory.jpg
    63.3 KB
  • MyRolodex.MPE1
    30.6 KB

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
Cool idea. It would be nice if it could link up and sync with my Google contacts. Since all my contacts on my droid phone are stored on Google, that would be great. Example, I am out and about and meet up with someone and add them as a contact on my droid phone (google contacts), then later I am home and want to get in touch with them, I could pull it up on MP.

that would be an AWESOME enahancement.

thanks For this part so far. trying it out now...

PS.. Here is a link to the google Contacts API....
http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/contacts/

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    MyRolodex is a simple way to store and view contacts in MediaPortal using a SQL server express database. It is easily configured from the plugin setup screen and includes a load default settings which should work for most users. On initial startup of the plugin it will ask for you to create database for first time use please select yes then exit and re-enter the plugin. Now you can start entering contacts by selecting the add new contact at the bottom right of the main menu. Enter the relevant information and select save contact. Now you can click on the letter of the last name to view the contact information. If you want to view all details or edit then click on the contact and it will bring up options to view/edit or delete contact. There is also a search functionality where you can search by either first or last name or email. Also at the top right of the page you can show contacts by categories that are selected from the view/edit page or on addding new contact under select category. Please play around and Enjoy. Let me know what you think and I'll start working on more wonderful plugins.

Thanks

hi sound great ,how abut some screenshots in the firest post ...

Thank's :D

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    Anyone tried it out and got it working yet. Let me know how it works and what you do or don't like about it. I am working on the download for contacts right now. I can get the gmail downloaded pretty easy struggling with hotmail right now. I'll hopefully have that functionality soon. Always open to suggestions.

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Anyone tried it out and got it working yet. Let me know how it works and what you do or don't like about it. I am working on the download for contacts right now. I can get the gmail downloaded pretty easy struggling with hotmail right now. I'll hopefully have that functionality soon. Always open to suggestions.

Thanks for the plugin! I see a need for this plugin. I tried it on 2 machines running MP 1.0.2 I get an error on the config screen
    it worked on the 3rd machine running MP 1.1.0 though.

I cannot enter a full postal code (Canada's zip code) as it is 6 digits.
    Will there be a way to import addresses as exported from Outlook?

Steve

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    Yes I am working on a way to import contacts from Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Outlook. I can also modify the string length to inlcude up to 6 digits on the zip code.

I'll keep working on this plugin and hopefully come out with version 1.1 soon.

Thanks for the information. Glad to see the time spent on this plugin may actually be useful to people.

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes I am working on a way to import contacts from Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Outlook. I can also modify the string length to inlcude up to 6 digits on the zip code.

I'll keep working on this plugin and hopefully come out with version 1.1 soon.

Thanks for the information. Glad to see the time spent on this plugin may actually be useful to people.

Oh Ya you don't know how many times I have been in MP and my dad calls and wants a phone # or address. This will be great when I can import from outlook. I have 300 to 400 contacts and entering them manually would suck big time.

I attached the error message I am getting in MP 1.0.2 I don't know if it will help but what the heck.

Thanks again!

Steve

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi hardcorehire,

I thought more people would have responded to your plugin by now, 304 viewing and 3 people give feedback. :mad:

I entered a few contacts manually and reworked the skin a bit and everything seems to be working very well. :D

I see that similar plugins had been worked on before I don't know if you saw them and thought it might help. they are a bit old thought.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/my-contacts-plugin-36629/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/address-book-plugin-15606/

Steve

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    I hadn't seen those other plugins so I had decided to make my own. Also I really had wanted to start developing MP plugins, and this is my first. Once this plugin is perfect I have two other plugins I would like to start working on. I think in order to help people out I am ditching the hotmail download and will finish the Yahoo, Gmail, outlook, and look into thunderbird. Hotmail API is setup for web-site authentication and doesn't work well with applications. I'll try and release something within the next couple weeks to allow for contact imports.

I really do hope everyone enjoys the plugin. I always like hearing what people like don't like and/or suggestions for either functionality or layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom