MySQL 5 vs MS SQL server 2005 (1 Viewer)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm not saying to stay away from MS...

The "Anti-Microsoft" part wasn't directed at you :)

I was loathe to mention it because it can unfairly place people with genuine arguments into the same box as people who don't know anything about the differences but go with a gut feeling of anti-Microsoft sentiment.

I didn't mean to use it to belittle your position on the matter. I'm sorry if it seemed that it was directed at you.

I'm saying the Express edition has some limitations that are unnecessary and can limit performance when there is an alternative that doesn't not have such limits. If you are running dual or quad cores, why not let the database take advantage of that?

That may be true for large-scale database users, but in regards to MediaPortal, the whole database debate is a waste of time...

MediaPortal is not a "big" database user. MS SQL and MySQL are both more than up to the job and the differences between the two are utterly negligible in this context.

In the future (Read: MediaPortal 2) we will not be dividing our efforts by supporting multiple databases, in fact we'll be avoiding this issue completely. I'm not sure if I should say any more than that at this stage, I don't want to make statements about it without team approval, suffice to say that MS SQL versus MySQL will not be relevant ... eventually.

Cheers,

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    How is MySQL's memory usage compared to MSSQL? I've noticed sometimes on my server that the MSSQL service is using a ridiculous amount of memory, somewhere in the region of 700meg!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    MSSQL uses the huge amount of memory to optimize the queries. Not a bad thing, as otherwise your memory would most likely sit in the PC without doing anything. Just like disk cache.

If worried you can limit the MSSQL memory usage from it's settings.

deebo

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    id guess its upto preference and/or the different ways to setup it

i use mysql simply because ive used it alot, and my linux fileserver is running it anyhow for my web dev projects

no MS clutter on my htpc, just codecs and MP

Shivian

Portal Pro
    November 24, 2007
    Home Country
    How is MySQL's memory usage compared to MSSQL? I've noticed sometimes on my server that the MSSQL service is using a ridiculous amount of memory, somewhere in the region of 700meg!
    As the others have said, it does depend greatly on what it is using that memory for. i.e. the breakdown of that 700MB.

The core MySQL application uses very little... we have a server running a simple software update service and the MySQL server for it takes up 17MB. I don't have access to my HTPC atm but I'll post how much a MySQL server for a TV server takes when I get the chance.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I was thinking of trying to setup mysql on a remote linux host to see if my EPG, miniEPG would run faster. Also, Big_Kev's web interface guide query pins my CPU and seems to affect my multi-seat streaming. Sounds like it's probably not worth my time according to the devs.

sintei

Portal Member
    December 13, 2007
    sorry to bring up an old post, but I too have noticed a differance between teh two SQL-databases when using the miniepg.
    When using express my miniepg comes up really quick (when pressing it on a live tv feed). However when using mysql it takes around 2 seconds.
    Never had this problem before, but installed a newer version of mysql 5.1 (medportal had error installing mysql 5.0) and problem occured.

Ill try to check my logs and report back if noone else knows of a solution to this. FPS is at 50, and still no go.

cfforce

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'll give MySQL 5.1 a go, and check if the mini EPG also loads slow..
    Had some probs with MSSQL, hope MySQL works better.

bermag

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I guess it is basically a matter of taste. Both are overkill IMO if you look at what MP use.

I think using MS SQL Compact Edition would be another choice which should be good enough and you wouldn't have to deal with having to setup an SQL server (I don't see this as a problem but for many less technical users it might be).

Users who are viewing this thread