MyTV deletes timeshifted material when changing a channel (1 Viewer)

munzli

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
switzerland
well i registered because i definatly need this back too :(

making it configurable would be great...

cheers

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I agree! Miss the feature. Frodo, sorry if we seem like a bunch of unpredictable kids wishing for a change and then wanting you to change it back but it really had not occured to me until the feature changed what implications that had. Please make it configurable or change it back!

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I have a replayTV and I think it should work like this... If you personally change the channel to a different one... Replay tv comes up and says something like "You are currently watching Delayed tv, do you still want to switch? Hit Select" If you hit select it removes the buffer and starts buffering the new channel. If you put it on pause for a bit and then come back and start watching the buffer. If MP starts to record a show, you should still be able to watch the rest of the buffer.

I think you should always have the option to either watch the rest of the recored buffer.

Another feature of the replaytv is when you are watching tv and a show is about to record, it comes up and tells you. "Starting to record this show in 30 seconds, to cancle hit select" I don't use the TV part of MP so I don't really know if this is in there or not but its kind of handy. Lets say your watching a 2 hour show and the last hour another show is going to record. I don't really care about the second show and would like to watch the rest of the 2 hour long show. You can then cancle the show that is about to record and watch your full 2 hour show. Its just kind of nice to have the option.

Just to let you all know, the lastest release of RC2 has been perfect for me. I have not had any problems with it so far! Thanks for all the hard work being put into the project!

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

I am missing the 'continuous timeshift' too ...

Why? -> I am not able to bring my kids to bed before 8:30pm. I want to see the 8pm news in channel xy and then the 8:15pm show in channel abc. So I start tv on channel xy, then I switch to abc at 8:15. The rest of the time I care for my children. Then, 8:30 I can hit rewind and open a can of beer ...

(ok I also could program to record that but that's more work)

- I can not understand why to DELETE the timeshift when switching ... those who don't want to see it just don't watch it!
    - I also don't agree with ASiDiE: having to 'confirm' all channel switches would drive me crazy ...

my Vote: 'give us continuous timeshifting back' :!:

thanks + regards
    WeWe

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I didn't say confirm all channel switches. ONLY when there is a delay. Unless you pause it or do some instant replays you will never get this window. Its just making sure you are not removing your buffer when you don't want too. I think that’s the whole point of the thread... to not delete any content that you don't want too. Confirming this gives you that option.

A continuous buffer is fine but do you really want it saving every channel you switch to in the buffer? lets say it takes you 10 minutes to find a show and in that time you switched to 15 different channels? Do you really want it showing 30 seconds or so of each channel? That whole 10 minutes of recordings is worthless in my eyes.

I also see your point, where you want to watch 15 min of one show and then start another without loosing all of the first show. That makes sense.

Everyone has different uses for the program. Maybe in the future we can have both and we can decide what type of buffer is best for us.

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the point was not that you loose timershift when you switch away from a 'shifted' point in the buffer - I understand YOUR point now and I support it. Yesterday - watching a 'timeshifted' film - my RC fell to floor :shock: I was afraid that some button could have been pushed and the buffer would have been deleted. (It was not - I was lucky).

But the initial point of the thread was that when switching the buffer is deleted even when you are not 'dhifted' but in the 'normal' time.

This wasn't the caese earlier and that was better in my opinion.

thanks+regards
    WeWe

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi Aside, there are possibilities for prompting when changing channels, but these really only serve to complicate matters further. I don't like the idea of a confirmation to change the channel and delete the timeshift buffer. Unless I misunderstood you this will really only give us what we already have and are trying to change, with the added nuisance of an extra keypress.

If we are changing a few channels and the buffer keeps these changes, then who cares. We still have the things we were originally watching which is all that matters. The whole point of MP and DVRs is that you can easily skip these sort of things.

Simply, all we request is the time shift buffer to remain intact the whole time TV is on. It used to be this way but was raised as a bug, while in actual fact it was a great feature.

Let me echo others and also say to the devs that we are sorry if it seems like we are changing our mind too often. It's just a pity we didn't see the original bug post to have our say before all the work was done.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    The point is that is it is just letting you know where there is still buffer left and do you really want to move to the new channel therefor removing the buffer. I understand where you guys are coming from. I personally don't care one way or the other. Like we have said, maybe this could be an option that we set up in the config menu as to how we want it.

There was an example saying... it's 19:59 and I am 30 min behind... a show is about to record and then all the sudden it swiches to the new show... removing all buffer. I think this should keep the buffer but only when when you have it set to record.... not when you physically change the channel.

This would work just fine for all of us... the only problem is that the poster did not want to see up the show to record... because it was too much work or something.

I don't really know about all the PVR's out there, but are there any out there that do what you guys are asking? Record 100% of the time and keep everything in the buffer regardless of a channel change? Maybe this was the reason this bug was fixed instead of seeing it as a feature. I guess some people see this as something they would use... and others are saying... I am changing channels... becuase I don't care about what was on before... why save it?

Regardless of the outcome of this... I am hoping we can get something that will work for all of us.

daveyboy

Portal Member
    March 15, 2005
    Reading, England
    I think the point is - why not save it? The information is there - how does MP know that you are not going to want to skip back to something on a previous channel. Seems like quite an obvious feature to me.

I never use timeshifting any more because of this "fix", and agree that a configuration option would be a nice compromise. I just wish I had time to learn C#. I'm more of a Java man. Someday....

Anyway, I love MP. It's the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom