naming music folders? (1 Viewer)

leemarkadams

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Hello all, starting to play with MP and I have the latest release, but there seems to be a few problems, one of which is that all the folders in my music directory do not have any names or track numbers, any reason for this as it makes finding a specific file very difficult.

Thanks

Lee

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Did you tell MP to scan your folders when you configured it? It is a button in the configuration underneath where you set up the Music Folders. If that is not the problem then perhaps there is an issue with your ID3 tags or similar.

leemarkadams

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Do they have to have ID tags? As some of mine do not and are just in folders, but even the different folders do not have names on them either...

Lee

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
You never mentioned if you had clicked the Update Database button in the mediaportal configuration, it is just underneath where you add folders to the Music section. I haven't come across your issue before, but I always scan the folders before launching mediaportal.

leemarkadams

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Yes, have pressed the button and tried to rename the folders, but there still no titles appearing!

Surely they do not all have to be id tagged?

Lee

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Okay, I have confirmed that if you do not build your Music database all the folders come up blank. What you need to do is go to the mediaportal entry in your start menu, click on mediaportal configuration, expand the Music entry (click the +), go to Music Database, make sure you music folder is in there and ticked, the click the button to update the database. If you have done this before then there is some issue with your music database, if you haven't then this should fix your problem (hopefully).

leemarkadams

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Tried that, tried renaming the album folders, no joy!

The track info comes up alright once the album is opened, but not in the root directory!

Please help, as have not even started to set up my TV card yet and that wil no doubt be an even bigger drama!

Lee

Ps, I suppose there is always XP media centre I could get!

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I suppose you could, but I don't see how that is relevant.

Try this: in your MediaPortal/Docs folder, run the SQLite Database Browser.exe.

Hit open database and open mediaportal/database/musicdatabase4.db3

Go to Browse data. All your artists/albums/etc should be there. If there is something wrong with this database, I would delete the musicdatabase4.db3 file and then rescan your folders in the configuration as above.

leemarkadams

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Thnaks for all the help, have managed to get it to work using the 'share' view option, but that then does not give me the option to play the whole album.

I will try what you have just suggested now

Lee

Jetboy

Portal Pro
April 15, 2005
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I don't have the solution to your problem, but I can offer a workaround. There are programs (such as foobar2000, actually a music player) that can tag your music from folder/file names. If MP indeed requires tagged files, that might be your best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom