[solved] NAS located media files not found (1 Viewer)

Jean-Christophe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2005
    Liege - Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hello,

This question has been asked already but I tried all suggested solution without any succes.
    When playing a media file located on my NAS, I receive a "File Not found" message.
    The log clearly says "non existent file".

I entered my credentials in the Service Config under various form. domain\user, user@domain, user@domain.tld
    I noticed that domain\user gives "failed to impersonate" in the log, so I use user@domain.tld

As it didn't work, I also tried to run the service as the user, without succes.

My config is the folowing.

In an Active Directory, MediaPortal PC is part of the domain. All media files are stored on a NAS (also in the AD). The MediaPortal session runs under a specific user and everything is fine. That is the user I try to use in the config.
    All my files are like "\\nas\share\folder\file.ext". I do not use mapped drive.

I also tried to use a NAS local account (admin) without succes.

What else can I try?

Thanks,
    JC

PS : TV streaming works like a charm. Only media files are not working.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

In an Active Directory, MediaPortal PC is part of the domain. All media files are stored on a NAS (also in the AD). The MediaPortal session runs under a specific user and everything is fine. That is the user I try to use in the config.
    All my files are like \\nas\share\folder\file.ext.
    This very much looks like a privilege issue. I can only assume that your sharing is giving access to a subset of users that would not include the MediaPortal user, you are running the MediaPortal process with. Indeed the AD can be a little bit tricky. If you can access the share on the MediPortal PC under Windows (e.g. playing the file with Windows Mediaplayer), you certainly suffer from insufficient privileges. Chck the security settings for your share.

regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer[DOUBLEPOST=1404477089][/DOUBLEPOST]Adding to this:

Your NAS sharing should show at least the following users:
    Administrators
    User (or the English equivalent of the German "Benutzer")

I would not start limiting the access to individual users of the AD, which would just create unnecessary complexitiy. If you really want to have fine-tuned access-rights, then you may want to create a user group such as "MediaPortal Users", give access to the shares for this group and then add your individual AD user accounts to the same group.

There is definitely no need to play with user@domaind.tld. This will anyway not work under an AD if access has not explicitely been granted to this user in the share. You cannot by-pass limited privileges by entering credentials under a different user account.

Last edited:

Jean-Christophe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2005
    Liege - Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hello,
    Thanks for your answer.
    The user I try to use in the MPExtended config is the user "media" that is used in the Windows session. This user has full acces to the share (and subfolders). It works like a charm in MediaPortal client.
    i also tried to use the local NAS user "admin". Not better.

I never tried to use the user without the domain name as, from my understanding, the NAS will try to authenticate this user against it's own users database. I'll try :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Jean-Christophe,

I think that there is a misunderstanding. MePo is trying to open a file on the share. Therefore the context it is running under, requires read privileges for this share.
    I thought that MediaPortal was not playing files (i.e. recordings and music) but now you say that the client is working. Could you maybe paraphrase your problem as I don't seem t understand the issue?

regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

P.S.: AD user names need to be entered in the form DOMAIN\USER

Jean-Christophe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2005
    Liege - Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    So...
    As I said in my forst post
    The MediaPortal session runs under a specific user and everything is fine. That is the user I try to use in the config.

It works now with "user" NOT specifying the domain.

As I understand, it should NOT work without adding the domain. You look to confirm I had to use DOMAIN\USER but it didn't (I even had "failed to impersonate" in the service log with this try).

The thing to remember is :
    When media files are on an Synology NAS included in an AD, you should not add the domain to the user name, in any form.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am sorry, but I don't understand your problem.

Everything I was saying referred to a Windows System that requires Windows credentials. The Information that you are using a Synolog NAS was not included in your first post. Anyway, good if it works now.

Jean-Christophe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2005
    Liege - Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Your answer was correct anyway. :)

The Synology NAS is integrated in the Active Directory. I can use NAS ressources with my AD account. From the client point of view, the fact it is a Synology NAS instead of a Windows file server is not visible.

What is strange is the fact I don't have to authenticate on the NAS using the domain name. I guess the Synology is smart enough to lookup in the AD if the username is not in it's local users database... I never noticed that before.

My problem was I used to use DOMAIN\USER or user@domain or user@domain.tld in the MPExtended config tool (all except DOMAIN\USER gave me a successful connection TEST using the test button but failed to acces de file).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom