Need help choosing CPU (1 Viewer)

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    That's nice! But performance of the E6550 is WAY better.

Yes of course... But what exactly do I need performance for, on a dedicated HTPC? The only thing I can think of is gaming, and I am not that interested in playing the latest games.

Anything heavy media-related, for example video conversion, I can just as well perform on my main computer to leave the HTPC as cool as possible...

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Playing HD video's? Converting multimedia files? Watching and recording HD video at the same time?
    Maybe I'm just thinking a bit further ahead...

I'm running www.orb.com (it's free!). This means realtime compression of media files for streaming purpose while at the same time MP must be able to record TV, watch movies or TV, or listen to music.
    With my Athlon64 3200+ streamin movies takes up about 60% of my processor capacity. Not much room to spare....

edit: Why would you buy a less powerful processor when prices and powerconsumption are about the same anyway? Just popt into my head.....

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    in regards of HD:

I would definately take the ATI HD2600Pro, with this Grafics hardware you do not need that much CPU power fr HD content.

Mine (AGP Version, in test PC) runs HD content without any problems, on a AMDAthlon 64 3200+ cpu at about 10%-15% load....

consider this...

cheers

joystick

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I haven't read any of the lnks in this thread yet, but to just add my 2 cents (and apologies if it's been said in a link already) but when looking at the power performance of the two CPU makers, you should also take into account that an AMD CPU and mobo combo uses less power than an intel combo, even if the intel CPU uses less power.
    This is because the AMD CPU includes the memory controller and a few other things that used to be on the motherboard. Plus, with AMDLive, the motherboards can also utilise quite good power savings.
    I think Intel Viiv can do this too now, but I don't think that is very widespread at this stage. Then again, I'm not too well read on Intel specs.

My AMD AM2 4800 dual core CPU idels at room temp with the stock cooler. I think it has a max power rating of 65w and only cost me a very small amount (relatively).

backslash

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would go for AMD because of this Mobo/Chipset:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=496&model=1585&modelmenu=1

I just build a system for myself:

ASUS M2A-VM HDMI (EUR 67.99)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ EE (EUR 82.99)
    1GB DDR-II-800 PC6400 CL5 MDT (EUR 42.99)
    Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 (EUR 10.99)

Alltogeteher roundabout EUR 200,- excluding HD and Case.

The Mobo is passively cooled, has an HDMI, DVI, VGA, S/PDIF... output and the onboard gpu can playback HD content without any problems. There are rumors that a BIOS update is coming for the chipset which enables hardware supported decoding of HD material anytime soon.

The system has power, is absolutely silent and energy efficient. Install the CCCP codec pack and enjoy your HD material.

You won't get more bang for your bucks!

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom