need some help with my second HTPC build (1 Viewer)

montecristo

Portal Pro
May 29, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
that's a good idea. i didn't think that far yet. it is a lot smaller also. i only have to check the prices first. i really want to make it as cheap as possible.

edit:
i just checked the pricing and there is not much difference, so 2,5 it is :)

montecristo

Portal Pro
May 29, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
thanks to all the quick responses and advice i came to the following.

-the HD for OS/software will be replaced by a 2,5" HD
-i will most likely place a slimline bluray drive
-the PSU will be replaced by a external supply with internal DC/DC converter
-should consider an emergency 120mm fan
-for now i will temporary build in the 2 data drives but in the short future i will build a (apparently possible) cheap server (need some details from GIXXER) :)

as for the external PSU and DC/DC converter i will need some more help to decide.
i can't seem to find any supplier in belgium for this.
but i did found a supplier in germany. but i can't seem to find out if this will work for my setup or not.
so, i need somebody to help me out with this.
i found something at a german supplier M2-ATX-HV 6-32V DC/DC (140 Watt)
maybe ICHESSBLUMEN can help me out with this, as you have experience with this (i would be very gratefull)

as for placing the 120mm "emergency" fan, i don't know how i'm gonna fix this.
because i wan't to make my case as thin as possible and with adding a fan above the CPU it will add a significant depth to my design.
so i need to find a workaround (any suggestions are welcome).
or i can make my own passiv cooling for the CPU that could result in a thinner design and possible better cooling.
but i have no idea how to make a passiv cooling. any suggestions and tips are again welcome.

thank you,

montecristo

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

because i wan't to make my case as thin as possible and with adding a fan above the CPU it will add a significant depth to my design.
    or i can make my own passiv cooling for the CPU that could result in a thinner design and possible better cooling.
    but i have no idea how to make a passiv cooling. any suggestions and tips are again welcome.

thank you,

montecristo

Putting on my electronics engineer's hat, please be careful with passive CPU cooling - the 'passive' heatsinks/coolers are designed to be used in cases that have forced airflow i.e. case fans (it's the same with passively cooled video cards). The idea with these passive coolers is that you can use larger, slower running case fans 'remote' from the coolers instead of smaller, noisier fans mounted directly on the coolers.

It's quite difficult to remove 40-60 watts of heat from a small box while keeping the component temperatures below 70C - put a 60W light bulb in a ventilated metal box and see how hot the box gets inside...

Tony

montecristo

Portal Pro
    May 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    owlsroost,

thanks for the response.
    meanwhile i just found another solution.
    i will leave the idea of passive cooling for the CPU as it might be too risky.
    i did found a low profile CPU cooler which will fit nicely in the design i have in mind.
    i will go with the silverstone NT07-775 low profile CPU cooler.
    you think this will be enough for the cooling?
    but i'm not sure if i can fit it on a mini-ITX MB.
    i don't want to add another fan just for cooling the case.

i do plan to have enough airflow in my case and even mount some heatsinks on the outside.

the only thing i still have to find out yet is what kind of DC/DC converter i need.

once i now for sure what i will use i can take all the measurements for designing and building my case.
    i already know what my design is gonna look like but i cannot start drawing and building until i have all measurements of the parts i will use.
    that way i can make it as small and thin as possible.

montecristo

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    following this thread with interest. If you get the time, it would be great to see some photos once its put together... :)

montecristo

Portal Pro
    May 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    is there by chance anybody who knows the height of the intel DG45FC motherboard?
    i can't seem to find it on the internet.
    i need to know this to draw out my design.
    the only dimensions i have are the mini-ITX (171X171) but i need the height as well.

montecristo

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

-the HD for OS/software will be replaced by a 2,5" HD
    -i will most likely place a slimline bluray drive
    -the PSU will be replaced by a external supply with internal DC/DC converter
    -should consider an emergency 120mm fan
    -for now i will temporary build in the 2 data drives but in the short future i will build a (apparently possible) cheap server (need some details from GIXXER) :)

as for the external PSU and DC/DC converter i will need some more help to decide.
    i can't seem to find any supplier in belgium for this.
    but i did found a supplier in germany. but i can't seem to find out if this will work for my setup or not.
    so, i need somebody to help me out with this.
    i found something at a german supplier M2-ATX-HV 6-32V DC/DC (140 Watt)
    maybe ICHESSBLUMEN can help me out with this, as you have experience with this (i would be very gratefull)

thank you,

montecristo

i will try to give you full details of my server tomorrow so you can decide. if i forget to give you the info, please do not hesitate on reminding me.

you are from belgium? going there in two weeks for work. good think visiting new country..bad thing its for work :p

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    who's calling ? ;)

on the dc/dc converter...yeah that one will do. u need an external dc source too ( like a notebook psu)...like this one

I've had a glance on that dc/dc converter. It'll accept a wide range of dc voltage input from 6-32 Volts...so any notebook psu with that ouput voltage will do. Only the input jack has to be adapted I think. But that's easy to find out where plus and minus is... :D

I had the luck of finding a complete kit from morex here which I use for my rig. Maybe they ship to Belgium....

Just in case you need some ideas klick on the picture of my signature. theres' the whole story of my homebrewed case.

Maybe you will change your mind and go for a AMD board...have a look at this. With a HT.3 AMD CPU it'll even do 1080i HDTV.

greetz.
    ieb

montecristo

Portal Pro
    May 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    thanks for the reply.

i think i will go with that morex kit you use. then i have all i need at once.
    altough it seems a bit expensive. it could be cheaper i think.

one more question.
    i can't see on this kit but on te other one i mentioned i see there is only 1 SATA connector but i need a total of 4 sata connectors.
    is it possible to add another 3 sata connectors parallel with the one thats there?
    or will the supply not hold this?

i also saw some converters from picopsu. these were extremely small and cheaper.
    the smaller the better. but again i have no idea if that will work.

i think i will stay with the intel MB.

edit:
    do you know if this morex supply works with the intel dg45fc?
    because i found another supplier in the states and there they say that it may not work with this board.

montecristo

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    don' t worry, it will work.

as per the sata connectors. That's not a prob. I added more of them as you could see here...

koc20080420wiresng3.jpg

see my system specs, this psu will do it( 2 Hdd, bluray, vfd-display, dedicated gfx card = 95W)....but, sadly the dc psu has a small fan !! not loud and not always on, just wanna point to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom