.NET crash in config without WMI service (1 Viewer)

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
Installed RC4 last night and got everything hunky dory after a couple of hours, still getting a .NET error when running configuration but clicking continue allows me to make changes to the config ok.

Overall very stable, not hit any snags to speak of. Very Nice!! THanks to the devs and all who worked so hard to put it together. MP never fails to impress anyone who sees it in my living room, not the TV side of things, most of my friends have Tivo or somesuch, but all the other stuff. When I tell them its free, jaws always hit floor.

I would really like to see some form of import of settings from previous installs, e.g. weather URLs, font sizes, my programs settings. With the requirement to uninstall a previous installation perhaps a preinstallation tool to gather these settings into an import file for the new install. Obviously some things change from install to install and this tool should be configurable to allow deselction of importable items.

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
The error does not seem to be critical but here we go

Area: .NET error with config tool
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4 (2006-04-18)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP - 2.1GHz
Memory: 639 MB
Motherboard: K7S5A (ECS)
TV Card Model: Diamond TV Xtreme PVR 550 II
TV Card Type: Hardware
TV Card Driver: conexant 2.0.17.55
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce4 MX 440 (64 MB)
Video Card Driver: 8.4.2.1
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Audio Card Driver: 5.12.1.39
Synopsis::

I get the following error when I run the config tool, the .NET error dialog allows me to continue and the error does not seem to affect anything crucial.

************* Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-947912704' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
at System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
at MediaPortal.Configuration.Sections.TVRecording.UpdateDriveInfo(Boolean save)
at MediaPortal.Configuration.Sections.TVRecording.comboDrives_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
at MediaPortal.Configuration.Sections.TVRecording.LoadSettings()
at MediaPortal.Configuration.SettingsForm.LoadSectionSettings(TreeNode currentNode)
at MediaPortal.Configuration.SettingsForm.LoadSectionSettings(TreeNode currentNode)
at MediaPortal.Configuration.SettingsForm.SettingsForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    search in your mediaportal.xml for the string:
    Code:
    <section name="freediskspace">

Looks like you have garbage in there.
    Delete this section and start configuration.exe

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    indeed, what kinda drives you have listed there ?

perhaps cardreaders or something that MP doesn't handle ok ?

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Try the next SVN build after this post, please.

Btw, it's the WMI service you either don't have installed or not started. Better not using stripped XP versions with MP. :wink:

With the next SVN build your disk size shows a warning, cause MP cannot read your disk parameters without WMI. Just as a note... That's intended behaviour as long as you don't start the WMI service.

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    You guys are gooood!

The version of windows I'm using doesn't have that service, I have just installed it from my XP Pro CD. After a reboot I get the same error with configuration.exe. Double checked that the service is running. When I looked in the section in TV dealing with disk allocation for recording I got a load more errors on every click. Looks as if the problem is insoluble by just adding and running the WMI service. The section freediskspace doesn't exist in my mediaportal.xml. I don't know much about how mediaportal.xml is used or created in the first place but it strikes me that if it was created in the absence of the WMI service this may be the cause of the lingering problem. How can I run the initial startup wizard again? And would this do any good?

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    i believe if you remove the mediaportal.xml file and run configuration.exe again it will run the wizard as it has to create the xml file again, damn wish i kepted trying with TinyXP as i had the same error but gave up and went back to xp :), good luck Efros

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    Nope removed mediaportal.xml, ran config wizard, ran MP runs good. exit MP run configuration.exe same .NET error. Nice try, the error is not critical MP works perfectly well..but I guess I am a bit anal about that sort of thing.

UPDATE

Installed latest SVN 04-21-2006, error before config window opens now gone Disk quota disabled due to WMI service not being available, even though it is running! Oh well Happy to running RC4 and happy to have applied the SVN with no major problems so all in all I'm Happy :D :D :D :D

Thanks to mpod, MrMario64, hwahrman, and nightmarerambo77 for their input and help. Cheers!

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the service is really running and you still get the message, your system is most probable screwed. I'm afraid the only way out would be a fresh install from an original unmodified XP or MCE CD/DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom