Netflix Plugin (first release available) (1 Viewer)

zswman

Portal Pro
April 23, 2006
Mountain View, CA USA
I can't see my queue. I can browse, but "refresh queue" just results in a blank page. The original plugin works fine.

Your configuration instructions do not seem quite right: there is a "Shopper ID" (which I know how to complete), but then there is a "Cookie ID" (which the original plugin didn't have and I don't know what goes in there). I have the RSS feeds configured correctly (apparently) - there should be only 2 (New Releases and Top 100), correct ?

What goes in "Cookie ID"?

rayrob

Portal Member
August 7, 2006
Thanks Hobbes. I'll be checking it out sometime this weekend and give some feedback. The install sounds pretty simple.

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
zswman,

The ID that goes in cookie ID is the same one used in the previous plugin. The shopper ID is found on the Netflix website.

As for the RSS feeds, there are a ton of different feeds, not just the two you mentioned. Click on the link to the RSS feeds on the bottom of the queue page. The are feeds like Top 25 Drama, Top 25 Action, etc. This is also the page where you will find the shopper ID.

zswman

Portal Pro
April 23, 2006
Mountain View, CA USA
The ID that goes in cookie ID is the same one used in the previous plugin. The shopper ID is found on the Netflix website.

OK, so cookie ID is the former "Netflix Shopper ID"?

The previous version had only one cookie that had to be entered, it was labeled "Netflix Shopper ID" and I put in a number that was (very long) and went like P141403 ... etc. That worked just fine.

The current version configuration menu has a "Shopper ID" but then it also has a "Cookie ID" - which is different from your instructions, above. In any case, I tried putting the former "Netflix Shopper ID" into "Cookie ID" and I put a value like P202 ... etc. into "Shopper ID" that I got by going to my RSS Queue on the netflix site (http://rss.netflix.com/QueueRR?id=P202 ... etc.

Now I can see my queue, but editing it doesn't seem to work - am I doing this right?

:(

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
zswman said:

OK, so cookie ID is the former "Netflix Shopper ID"?

The previous version had only one cookie that had to be entered, it was labeled "Netflix Shopper ID" and I put in a number that was (very long) and went like P141403 ... etc. That worked just fine.

The current version configuration menu has a "Shopper ID" but then it also has a "Cookie ID" - which is different from your instructions, above. In any case, I tried putting the former "Netflix Shopper ID" into "Cookie ID" and I put a value like P202 ... etc. into "Shopper ID" that I got by going to my RSS Queue on the netflix site (http://rss.netflix.com/QueueRR?id=P202 ... etc.

Now I can see my queue, but editing it doesn't seem to work - am I doing this right?

:(

If your queue is working then you have the right ID in the Shopper ID field. If you cant make any updates to your queue or add items to it, then there must be a problem with the value in the Cookie ID field. please check to be sure you have the right value in the field. The value should look similar to the Shopper ID. It is long and starts with a 'P' also.

What isn't working with updating your queue? As of right now you can only do the following:
-add items to end of queue
-add items to top of queue
-delete items from queue
-move item to top of queue

i havn't added the ability to move items around within the queue yet.

rayrob

Portal Member
August 7, 2006
The plugin is working good. I didn't have any problems with installation. I like that you can add the entire selection of the RSS feeds. That is a very nice feature. The cover art loads pretty good and the movie synopsises are showing up nicely.

Things that were a little off:
1. I could not add a movie to the queue
2. There were formatting tags in the synopsis --

i think on the movie title.
3. I did not try to add a movie to the top of the queue.

If you would like me to, I can add some screen shots and instructions for installation, just let me know.

Again, Patrick and Hobbes, thank you both for this great plug-in!

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
rayrob said:
Things that were a little off:
1. I could not add a movie to the queue
2. There were formatting tags in the synopsis --

i think on the movie title.
3. I did not try to add a movie to the top of the queue.

If you would like me to, I can add some screen shots and instructions for installation, just let me know.

1. are you able to move movies in your queue to the top or delete them? try to do all the things i listed in my previous post. if none work, it would lead me to think the value in the cookie ID field is wrong.

2. right now the description and title are being pulled from the xml rss feed. I will see what i can do about checking for abnormal characters and removing them.

rayrob said:

That would be great if you want to set up a install guide.

zswman

Portal Pro
April 23, 2006
Mountain View, CA USA
I can not do ANY EDITING on the queue - which means I can not add, delete, ETC. I can only VIEW. Your instructions are ambiguous - I can not be sure I am entering the right data - why can't you just be clear about the "Cookie ID" - what is the EXACT URL you take to get the "Cookie ID?" ALSO - nothing in your configuraiton shold be labeled so generically as "Cookie ID" - it is completely ambiguous and redundant to say "Cookie ID" - what cooke? And if it's actually part of the URL as ?=, then it's a parameter/value pair - please state the URL, then the parameter (xxx =yyy) so we can all figure out what yyy is.

THANKS, I'M GETTING CLOSE!!!!

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
zswman said:
I can not do ANY EDITING on the queue - which means I can not add, delete, ETC. I can only VIEW. Your instructions are ambiguous - I can not be sure I am entering the right data - why can't you just be clear about the "Cookie ID" - what is the EXACT URL you take to get the "Cookie ID?" ALSO - nothing in your configuraiton shold be labeled so generically as "Cookie ID" - it is completely ambiguous and redundant to say "Cookie ID" - what cooke? And if it's actually part of the URL as ?=, then it's a parameter/value pair - please state the URL, then the parameter (xxx =yyy) so we can all figure out what yyy is.

THANKS, I'M GETTING CLOSE!!!!

The cookie ID can not be obtained through any URL. You have to get it by looking at the NetflixShopperID cookie from your browser. I thought the instructions I gave for finding the Cookie ID were straight forward (if your use Firefox. I don't know how in IE).

I realize it is a little confusing with having multiple IDs. I know there must be a way to just use one or even just use your login and password, but I have not figured this out yet.

Has anyone been able to get anything other than displaying the queue to work?

rayrob

Portal Member
August 7, 2006
Quick Install Using Firefox:
1. Download Plug-In
2. Extract the files.
3. Copy "NetflixManager.dll" to
c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\plugins\windows\
4. Copy "NetflixManager.xml" to
c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\skin\BlueTwo\
***you can also copy it to your other skins
5. Start MediaPortal Setup, Go to Plugins, Right Click on Netflix Manager and click on Configuration.
netflixplug1.jpg

At the top, you will find a box for ShopperID (or RSS FeedID) and a CookieID.

To find your CookieID, Open Firefox and Log In to your Netflix Account. Then Click on Tools--->Options and Click on the Privacy Tab.

netflixplug4.jpg

Find the Netflix Cookie in the Scrolling Box. Click on the "+" and scroll down the list to find "NetflixShopperID" **Please note, this is not your "ShopperID" this IS your CookieID.

netflixplug5.jpg

Copy and Paste the string of characters listed under "Content:" to the CookieID in the NetflixManager MediaPortal Plug-in. In Firefox, Close out the Cookies and Options Dialogs to return to the browser screen. You should still be logged in to Netflix.

To find your ShopperID (or RSS FeedID), in Firefox, Click on "RSS" at the bottom of the Netflix Web Page. Your ShopperID is the string of characters in the Personalized Feeds links after "id="

netflixplug3.jpg

Copy and paste that string of characters to the CookieID box in the NetflixManager MediaPortal Plug-in.

Then you can add any of the Public RSS Feeds listed for Netflix. Your Queue and Recommendations are already coded, so you do not need to add them. In the first box, Type in a Name for the feed. In the second box, copy and paste the link from Netflix RSS Feeds (should be open still in Firefox). Then click the Add button.

Using Internet Explorer to find the CookieID is more difficult, but if there is interest, I will be glad to post a how to on it.[/url]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom